Bowl, Face or Stick?? Maybe a can?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Do you have a preferred method to create your lather?
Can you explain your reason?
Does a particular brush type work better for you choice?

Cant believe you bring that language into our sacred place, "can soap" what are we coming to

I'm hoping that he is making an ironic reference to soaps in metal tins ...

I used to think it didn't make any difference so long as you have a good soap to start with (and bearing in mind I've never been able to bring myself to use a stick of any kind), but lately I've been finding that my best lather happens when I start it off in a bowl, moving to face and head when it's just beyond the pasty stage, then adjusting with drops of water directly into the brush as required.

Face lather always, I enjoy building it on my face while enjoying the scents of the soap.

find this whole process relaxing and helps me understand the brush more as I feel it lather the face

only used synthetic’s due to ease of lather but have since found myself enjoying natural hair brushes. Which do I enjoy more? Hard to say as I like the backbone the boar gives but also the luxury pampering of badgers, especially the rhodium Matilda brush

For me or for you :)
Goop has been a mainstay for many for many years. Doesn't make it good but some like it.
I have never tried it but Proraso has their range in cans.

I was primarily a bowl/scuttle person but due to rushing in the mornings I tend to do face lathering with loading off the tub - yes I'm a monster get over it! :woot: Unless using a sample where I use a bowl.

Alternate between brushes with a preference for larger knots 26-30mm and dense badgers but equally enjoy a quality synthetic and boar for painting lather.

I spend more time working on my lather these days as I tend to use a more efficient razor and having a slick and luscious lather eliminates irritation and risk of irritation.

I was primarily a bowl/scuttle person but due to rushing in the mornings I tend to do face lathering with loading off the tub - yes I'm a monster get over it! :woot: ...
Nothing wrong with loading off the tub -that's what it's there for, otherwise they might as well package it in horrible one-size-fits-all little sachets.I expect there's already someone doing that, I'm not going to look. :X3: Only way to get a PROPER load is to load up as much as you can off the top of the puck, then load up some more. :woot:

How DARE!!! you @bald as, never speak about this evil and toxic can shaving soap on P&C

j4RNrtd.jpg

Loading for me varies depending upon the hardness of the soap. I truly doubt anyone shaves triple milled hard pucks into a bowl and then builds a lather and in that case it would completely eliminate the idea of face loading and then of course your only option is rubbing the puck on your face if possible unless its hard set into the container.
We haven't included shaving sticks either but we but I guess you could grate or cut some off into a bowl.

I alternate between face lathering and bowl also based on time but preference is bowl and building on the lather but regardless of bowl or face I always end up working it into my face as if I am building up a lather on my face even on bowl lathers. I enjoy the sensation and working it into my skin.
Depends on the type of brush I want to use that day too.

The best lathers I have made has been using a better quality of water and in a bowl.
I feel like everyone has made some good points here.
I have a new bowl (has been in transit for many weeks now) on the way and will if and when I can afford it grab a captains choice copper bowl so needless to say I am going to be making more effort to bowl lather more consistently.

I also use a cheap pate knife to shave of some soap sometimes and press it into the bowl.

Edit: Sat on this post for a while and just noticed the post above mine regarding sticks.

Last edited: