Bowl, Face or Stick?? Maybe a can?

FWIW quick load and face lather, even with samples, I have come to realise this is my preferred method and stopped experimenting with Marco method and other techniques for now, plus I'm a soap miser to @Gargravarr disgust.

I used to build the lather on my cheeks but have recently started building the lather under neck on jowl and move to face, cheeks, mouth and upper lip after the lather has reached a nice consistency this avoids getting so much lather up the nose and in the mouth - some soaps do not taste very nice

]

One factor we haven't mentioned here: forgetting soap for the moment, an important consideration is the water. Up here in my forest on the side of a mountain, I get pure rainwater (lately in copious amounts) filling up my tanks, and I have clear springs and creeks to top up with if necessary. I find that whenever I travel elsewhere, my shaves are often troubled by more weepers/nicks than I would normally enjoy, no matter how familiar the soap. I've read of some people using distilled water, which I guess might be a good idea if the tap water is really bad...

Face lathered for most of my 55+ shaving years, but recently bought a Yaqi bowl.
I tried bowl lathering a couple of years ago with a wee bowl I had made at a pottery group I was in, but quickly went back to face lathering.
Now I have the Yaqi bowl things have changed.
I can certainly whip up a nice lather quickly, and it's better than I could do with a face lather.
I know some folks with sensitive skin can't face lather as they get 'brush burn'.
Best part about the bowl is I can drop in a wee dab of some random soap that I was thinking about throwing out, then mix it in with the actual soap I'm really using that morning.
I still get the lather I want with the soap I like, but I'm also quietly using up those wee scraps of random soaps I have sitting around in a cardboard box.
Probably will be condemned as a heretic for that. But us pensioners gotta be thrifty over here in Jacindaland.
Good call about the water quality. Should maybe include the quality of the brush? And the soap?
Some soaps like some brushes maybe, and don't perform well with the 'wrong' brush?
So anyway...it's a yes from me for bowl lathering as my first choice. Face lather when I'm away on holiday though.

In my limited time doing this, I haven't managed to figure out face lathering. I've got a nice bowl that I can whip up an excellent lather in, despite living in Adelaide with its notoriously hard water. Once I get some better brushes I'll try again, but I'm not convinced about face lathering at this stage.