Caring for Brushes

urnme

Hi Guys,

I've got some new brushes on order..

Semogue Owners Club Boar
Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger

My current brush is/was a Semogue 830 Boar, but it has fallen apart in less than 12 months of use. The knot has come away from the base.

While I was doing my research about what type of glue to use to repair it. The base went missing. So right at the moment, I'm using the knot by itself.

So what am I doing wrong?

Before I shave, I soak the brush in warm water while I have a shower.

Once I've finished with it, I've always squeezed as much water out as I could, and stored it in a stand upside down. So I was surprised when it broke.

You're not doing anything wrong. Any brush that break from the handle is a dud. If you like it, you can clean up the knot and handle and glue it back in.

If not, bin it (I think Smogs knots are pretty crap myself) or keep the handle to put a TGN finest knot in. Cos as we know those Smog handles are nice.

I was going to try and fix it with some epoxy, but I've lost the damn base.

It's probably being used in the sandpit by the kids or something.

If not, bin it (I think Smogs knots are pretty crap myself) or keep the handle to put a TGN finest knot in. Cos as we know those Smog handles are nice.

I thought you were a smog guy? I just read your threads about breaking in, and cleaning...

I thought you were a smog guy? I just read your threads about breaking in, and cleaning...

Yes, it's true.

But I'm reformed. Experience taught me that boars don't really need breaking in, beyond knowing how they work differently from badgers. Smogs were just plain finicky and you needed to really work them to get them to work, and they needed cleaning out, as you can see from my 830 thread. Then they turned into noodles.

By contrast, Omegas rock n roll from the box, stay firm and I haven't had to clean one yet. But I do have about 8 brushes all up, so I probably only need to bother annually.

Others still like smogs for their badgeryness though, and I've a couple to pif if anyone wants one.

that's not something I wanted to hear just after ordering 2 new smogs. lol.

oh well.. there's always christmas.

Well my got to brush is the SOC 2-band. this is over a duke 2 2-band duke 3 best a few new Forrest brushes and a load other I have sold. Though don't like the boar SOC at all, or any boars to be honest

I have the 730HD which is a Badger. It's a little floppy but isn't too bad. It was expensive and I could have got a very nice Simpson brush for the price I paid at the time.

Yes, it's true.

But I'm reformed. Experience taught me that boars don't really need breaking in, beyond knowing how they work differently from badgers. Smogs were just plain finicky and you needed to really work them to get them to work, and they needed cleaning out, as you can see from my 830 thread. Then they turned into noodles.

By contrast, Omegas rock n roll from the box, stay firm and I haven't had to clean one yet. But I do have about 8 brushes all up, so I probably only need to bother annually.

Others still like smogs for their badgeryness though, and I've a couple to pif if anyone wants one.
Ifr no one else puts their hand up in the next couple of days I'll take one, Be company for the Blobby. Only if no else says me me me. (and I will never talk about b**tsc**tin or b**r Sh**tin again. :)

urnme...your brushes will be fine. We all like different things.

The SOC two band should be an excellent brush IMO.

How long ago did you buy your 830 and where from? Could well be worth an email as the knot falling out is a bit rubbish. My 830 is a trooper.

urnme...your brushes will be fine. We all like different things.

The SOC two band should be an excellent brush IMO.

How long ago did you buy your 830 and where from? Could well be worth an email as the knot falling out is a bit rubbish. My 830 is a trooper.

Good idea. I emailed Vintage Scent about the noodliciousness of my 830 and he sent me a new one. Was jsut the same though...

I am down with noodliciousness. I face lather with my Frank Shave silvertip :laugh:

The 830 is pretty soft now but it is an iron bar compared to the FS!

I bought the 830 in Jan 2011 from vintage scent, it's been busted for a few months now though.

I've been using just the knot to face lather...

Wish I hadn't lost the handle for my 830, so I could take a photo and send it to him.

yeah both Drubbing and mark1966 had problems with their smogs.
I am still happily using the SOC and 1305 though.
But prefer the horsey for hard soaps and the badger for soft soaps. The semogue is great in between.

I started with an 830 but it.went soft after a year so I sold it to a mate to use with soaps.
Now I use a smog LE boar and a T&H badger.
Boar for soap badger for creams.

Last edited by a moderator:
The knot in my 830 has come loose but I can't get it out to re-glue it. My next brush will be an omega, I have one already and really like it.