Not open for further replies.

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Well, I happened across this Forbes article (which has recently been posting a few articles on the Artisan Wet shaving market!)...
...on Mr Douglas Smythe

I must say, I have found the antics of Douglas Smythe to be bordering on stupid in the past. (I was around for the "baby tallow in soap" incident...) He does have his haters, for which I don't think he fully deserves. However, he has appeared to have matured in the past 6 months and come "clean" about a lot of things...

So after reading the article, he now makes more sense. The dots have joined for me and I can see the bigger picture.
Do I think he went overboard sometimes? Sure.
Do I think he's a write off? Honestly, in the past I'd have said "Yes". But reading this article has helped me to rethink on that one...

Anyway, keep comments civil (remember @Monsta_AU 's rule: "Don't be a dick!").
You also don't want to say anything about one of our newest members that you'd later regret...
Welcome @D_Smythe to P&C! ;)

Too complicated for little old me ...

Too complicated for little old me ...
It all happened in a land far, far away... So it's easy to have missed the controversy. A lot of it happened on Reddit, Facebook and other (not as nice) shaving forums. We seem to avoid all controversy down here. Squeaky clean we are. [emoji13]

I think I saw some on YKW a while back before they dumped all the offending products. Still too complicated ;)

Must say I am very disappointed @filobiblic . Not so much becasue you're asking us to sympathise with the likes of that guy! but that this was not, as the title suggested, a nice big fat healthy BST ad!

Yes, a whole pile of cheap shaving stuff if just what you need mate ;)

An IT associate of mine once described Microsoft as "a law firm that supplies substandard software".
In the same vein most shaving companies are "marketing companies that supply substandard shaving gear".
And while I feel "Douglas Smythe" (company, identity or real person) may be using the same marketing techniques he/they are really on the same side of the fence as everyone else on this forum - he is challenging the mass marketing myths and monopolisation of major corporations like Procter & Gamble who supply the world not with what it needs but what they wish to supply.
So I say welcome @D_Smythe

I'm happy to have Douglas here, as far as I am concerned it's a fresh start for the persona (opposed to Personna).

We do have a stockist down here in Anthony at Shaver Heaven, and I have in recent times experienced some of the more interesting scents of the PAA range which are strange, weird, interesting, great and a complete mindbending experience.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice and if the product works for you. If it does and you enjoy it, great.

@filobiblic , to be fair as this is posted in the General Discussion section and not the welcome room I think it's only fair to point out the main concerns that folks have with his products. Essentially this and this explain it - alas there's personal attacks and opposing fanboi defenders but the facts and questions remain - unless I've missed something, pretty much unanswered. And to be fair this was only last yr, not eons ago.

The public persona, antics etc - are IMHO neither here nor there they'll polarise some folks but if the product is good (and I write this as the owner of an 8oz tin of Synergy Shaving Soap who finds it performs very well) who really cares.

However, what really is highly damaging to @D_Smythe 's professional integrity is what to an impartial onlooker appears to be a flagrant case of deliberately misleading or possibly false (placed in % amounts so small solely to get on the label) ingredients to get financial gain. Though the evidence is pretty damning I always try to give folks the benefit of the doubt & a chance to explain or atleast submit a mea culpa - but I've not seen that on the internet (and that includes what I consider a very evasive & off-topic reply in the YKW thread). So as someone who bought that product I have to say I have found the relative silence back to such evidence supported accusations rather deafening.

In the listed Forbes article he does admit to essentially sock puppeting, which isn't a crime but when you're caught in the act is somewhat embarrassing & does call one's decision making and business practices into question. And there's a bunch of other questionable tactics/practices listed in the Reddit article and others. Alas for me as stated the ingredients fiasco just takes this to another level all together as thats a serious matter and it was clearly done against the best interests of the people who bought the products and was driven by monetary gain.

When tabled overall it really appears to be a systemic practice of deliberately misleading consumers for monetary gain. I'll quote a rightly universally respected fellow P&C member, @Leisureguy from the referenced Reddit thread:
I still like the soap (and its format), but it does seem as though many were deceived, and that does rankle. Honesty is called the best policy for a good reason.
I agree: I do like the soaps, and I love that 5" puck idea. But the business side seems to be iffy at best.

So whilst I do think it's handy to have @D_Smythe as a forum member whoever there'd have to be a significant amount of explaining specifically about the ingredients issue before I'd have the confidence to again purchase your products over those of your competitors that have had no such accusations made and evidence supported against them. If others feel those issues were just anomalies then thats entirely their prerogative but I do somewhat prescribe to the 'Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me' school of thinking until given good reason to do otherwise. :)

Last edited:
@filobiblic , to be fair as this is posted in the General Discussion section and not the welcome room I think it's only fair to point out the main concerns that folks have with his products. Essentially this and this explain it - alas there's personal attacks and opposing fanboi defenders but the facts and questions remain - unless I've missed something, pretty much unanswered. And to be fair this was only last yr, not eons ago.

The public persona, antics etc - are IMHO neither here nor there they'll polarise some folks but if the product is good (and I write this as the owner of an 8oz tin of Synergy Shaving Soap who finds it performs very well) who really cares.

However, what really is highly damaging to @D_Smythe 's professional integrity is what to an impartial onlooker appears to be a flagrant case of deliberately misleading or possibly false (placed in % amounts so small solely to get on the label) ingredients to get financial gain. Though the evidence is pretty damning I always try to give folks the benefit of the doubt & a chance to explain or atleast submit a mea culpa - but I've not seen that on the internet (and that includes what I consider a very evasive & off-topic reply in the YKW thread). So as someone who bought that product I have to say I have found the relative silence back to such evidence supported accusations rather deafening.

In the listed Forbes article he does admit to essentially sock puppeting, which isn't a crime but when you're caught in the act is somewhat embarrassing & does call one's decision making and business practices into question. And there's a bunch of other questionable tactics/practices listed in the Reddit article and others. Alas for me as stated the ingredients fiasco just takes this to another level all together as thats a serious matter and it was clearly done against the best interests of the people who bought the products and was driven by monetary gain.

When tabled overall it really appears to be a systemic practice of deliberately misleading consumers for monetary gain. I'll quote a rightly universally respected fellow P&C member, @Leisureguy from the referenced Reddit thread:

So whilst I do think it's handy to have @D_Smythe as a forum member whoever there'd have to be a significant amount of explaining specifically about the ingredients issue before I'd have the confidence to again purchase your products over those of your competitors that have had no such accusations made and evidence supported against them. If others feel those issues were just anomalies then thats entirely their prerogative but I do somewhat prescribe to the 'Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me' school of thinking until given good reason to do otherwise. :)

Hey Folks,
Sorry for such a late reply...just stumbled upon this thread. :) Nick the Knife, I have explained stuff and disabused, or made an attempt, over and over, in all the forums I can. I am extremely easy to contact if you have any questions or concerns. As for your This and This, The "ingredient" issue that you refer to and claim I have yet to respond to...if you in fact go to that post on B&B and check out page 4 of it you will see my reply, which came a day later...I'm pretty sure most folks don't read past the juicy bits or just choose to ignore it. this is ironic considering all the "detective" work folks claim to have done on me, yet they can't make it to page 4 for maybe a response, lol. Maybe this just doesn't fit the picture of me some seem trying to paint?
Michael Ham and I are friends and the screen shots you used was from the first days of this "bashing" on reddit. Since then he has made it very clear in other posts on Reddit that he believes I have been a target. As for claiming to be a vet, that absolutely makes me sick. I have never posed as a vet...I mean, really? I did help a member of the service start a facebook group, even though I really didn't have much time, but I did it none the less. The way that was twisted makes me have to second think almost every favor I do, it's sad. Here is a link to where it all began from the soldier himself to our initial contact: http://imgur.com/a/jJG4t
These are just some of the many fantastic allegations made against me by the "ethics committee" of most of these hate forums, who never really treated us too nice. if this gives you any indication of the reliability of your sources. Again, if you have anymore questions and truly want to hear our side, contact me: PM me, Facebook, Instagram, G+, etc, Call....for someone who has been supposedly dodging the oh so many concerns I make myself really accessible. The drama and fiction is much more entertaining than the truth, I get it, but at the end of the day this is very mean-spirited and down right cruel to a persons livelihood as well as his GF/Partner (who is a real person. Sorry, another myth busted) and my employee, a single mom with 3 boys...this affects more than just the guy you hate for reasons unclear and inherited.
I have really tried to give back over and over to the community, but this FACT never seems to make it's way into the conversation. I have done podcasts jam packed with info, keep a blog with loads of tips & free recipes to create your own wet shave products (the bay rum recipe is actually very popular on reddit, ha! there are takers and givers in this world.), I do a live, weekly show aimed at noobs trying to learn WS, answer hundreds of emails a week, started a G+ community, given away thousands of dollars worth of product to meet ups, I promote forums, Interviewed many folks in the industry, even my "competition" on our podcast, supported the artisan community and nurtured it...and live , eat , and breathe wet shaving 24/7, we work our butts off here. I have never sold shoddy products or snake oil but high quality, unique, affordable software and hardware...and that's what I am guilty of at the end of the day. It stinks that I even have to mention this. Just further proof that most of the bashers were never really customers or followed what I was doing. Don't get me wrong I did make some mistakes in the beginning, but geesh, cut me a break. No mistake deserves what we were put thru. Another thing to mention is trolls/hackers shut down our site for close to 2 weeks too at one time....sigh. This explosion on the "soap scene" all happened very fast when all I originally set out to do was start a blog. In that rush there was bound to be backlash too, I just had no idea how wild/vicious it would be. I might mention, I am still learning as I go...like most of us in life.
Yes I approached things differently (
), but that's just who I am, a bit eccentric and "artsy"...maybe as an artisan should be expected to be? I believe this comes across, rather I hope, in all our new and unique offerings; DOC, Switchback, Mentholated Preshaves, Soap, themes, Label design, and some things/practices that have become standards now. :) First penguin? lol!

The thing is, just when I think I have answered all the questions and concerns, someone starts smearing it into a new page of the interweb...sigh. So I hope this provides a bit more clarity. (sorry, I'll try to end here. ) I understand it's tough to wade thru all the confusion and even intoxicating to join in with a angry crowd, believe me It's even more confusing to watch this when it's about you...I love wet shaving and the community. Once more, I am here and always available...thanks for listening. I u
Sincerely,
D
More Of Us (Fran & I) Talking shop, things you don't hear in certain forums:
and

Last edited:
The haters are gonna hate... You've just got to shake it off @D_Smythe... and keep producing Cavendish!

@D_Smythe ,

There's an old adage along the line of 'You reap what you sow'....and IMHO whilst it's convenient for you to paint yourself as a terribly unfairly targeted artisan who just made an honest mistake and did all he possibly could to correct it as soon as it was flagged just doesn't mesh with the undisputabled facts nor common sense.

You made what I'm certain was a very deliberate move to list your ingredients in a manner that would maximise the products ability to make profits for you. And I'd also be all but certain you included many of those products in %'s where the overwhelming opinion of soapmakers would be they'd have zero tangible impact on the product - therefore it was purely done for 'label appeal'.

I would put it to you that this isn't a 'mistake' but instead you deliberately mislead your consumers to increase your profits. You got called out on it, evidently realised this was regulated and thus changed your ingredients listing methodology etc to comply. If you seriously think that your page 4 response on B&B is commensurate with your transgressions then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was weak and a clear attempt by you to say,"Oops, can we please now move on".

I've not any great interest in what 'picture people are trying to paint of you' but what comes across VERY strongly from your post is a massive amount of self pity & overwhelming feeling of being unfairly victimised. I'm sure you did cop a fair bit of crap you didn't deserve BUT by the same token you also got blindly biased support by fans that one could say you that based on your actions you didn't deserve and considering the whole matter was brought on yourself BY YOURSELF by repeated bad judgement & what people felt was a less than fully accountable mea culpa I'd think many would view it as getting one's just desserts.

The veteran stuff I have no knowledge of (personally considering the horrific impact US foreign/military policy has had on the world post-1960 it's not something I'd be flagging but c'est la vie) and didn't even mention it. I'll leave that for others to read up on as I've no interest in whatever happened.

With all due respect to imply that you're almost philanthropic as you've put so much back into the wetshaving community via efforts and giveaways is kinda preposterous. Whilst I don't pretend to have any knowledge of specific actions I'd go out on a limb and guess these were clear promotions for your business. This is clearly trying to balance a wrong with what you hope is a good...and it doesn't work like that, especially when the 'good' is actually primarily done for your own good.

So look I don't know the in's and outs of everything thats been said about you - but really thats something I again have zero interest in. My comments and main issue with you was strictly pertaining to the ingredients listing order & inclusion of certain items in it at possible insignificant levels. So I'm not going to defend other folks points of view etc.

However I do think implying that you've copped an unfair amount of crap & going as far as saying it affects others and their kids etc and casting the 'bashers/haters' etc as the villains is a self-serving, convenient but poorly thought out approach. You shamelessly self promoted (and from what I can see continue to do so) as hard as anyone in the industry and thus put yourself front and centre in the spotlight - and it was YOU who made the call on the ingredients etc and YOU who handled the response/s to the issues/questions which have generally been perceived as unacceptable/weak. So call me old fashioned but that might well be seen as like I said, reaping what you've sown.

To me if one really makes a bad error of judgement the best practice is to clearly and unequivocally take ownership/responsibility for that. Explain to any affected persons how/why the error of judgement was made. Explain why it will not happen again in the future. Sincerely express regret and then stand by what you've said in the future with your subsequent actions. Unless it's something really bad you'll find folks tend to be ok with that 99.9% of the time.

So with all due respect I didn't see such a practice adopted by yourself - was there a press release or similar on your old website (or even the new one?) before it was replaced by your new rebranding (which again kind of put fuel on the fire for folks for obvious reasons)? If not, and I'm not aware of having seen any - I'd say that again makes a bad situation worse and obviously its far too late for anything like this now.

I've no idea if you feel you've addressed matters more directly/accountably in any of the 3 videos you linked. With all due respect I won't be viewing them as I did so before with one that someone else on here did link in another thread saying it answered some questions but I didn't find that to be the case - each to their own but that aside I found it difficult material to watch - again personal preference and nothing more. :)

Anyway as I said I only own one soap of yours, I find it a good product though in hindsight would i have still chosen it over your competitors if the ingredients list had been accurate/true? Probably not. I don't believe anyone here is trying to put the boot into you gratuitously but sometimes you need an awful lot of right to correct a wrong, thats just the way things work.

Your offers for people to contact you directly are positive but it won't be something I'm doing as this isn't a ME matter and I'm not that concerned with it in the big picture of my life etc - but like I said positive thing if you feel thats the best way to handle things fair play to you. :)

Cheers, Nick

Nick,
The ingredient list in question was already caught by us (caught by a fellow artist friend) and corrected at the time that it was brought up on B&B. Meaning, it was not in use anymore. This kinda mistake happens often on etsy, if you want to accuse some nascent others. Once more, an honest mistake by someone who had just started selling a product online. Fact is, everything listed was in the soap, it was just out of order....simple as that. Mea Culpa.
As for changing our name, My GF's company and HTGAM had officially and publicly joined forces the March before all this hullabaloo. We thought after all the confusion, it would be good to just lump us both under one banner to make it easier on some folks to "get it". I will point out HTGAM is still a blog and still doing well...that was not rebranded in shame or whatever you are going on about. This turned into a blessing in disguise and a better business move for I finally had a chance, as a graphic artist to create the labels I finally wanted to and choose a brand name that was more fitting rather than How To Grow A Moustache.Com.
Not everything is marketing, otherwise I wouldn't even participate as much as I do my friend, just another faceless business.
As for Shameless Marketing? This is my only job now and I take it very serious. I market as anyone else would who owns a small business using the tools I am provided with...never saw that as a bad thing. We exist online only, not on main street, how else does one get customers? When I post an ad I created, it's very clear it's an ad.
As for a press release? We were a small etsy style artisan operation running out of a second bedroom at the time, so no. Again I was very new and green. We are pretty clear on our "About Us" who we are and what we do. I do apologize for not reacting the way you believe I should have, but alas...I'm trying here. :) - I had a suspicion you would not be watching the vids, but hopefully they will offer someone else some insight or a little intro to us. Be well.
Cheers
D

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT
A belated welcome from me to @D_Smythe here. I can only go on my experiences with his company and products and all have been great performers for me and all my dealings with his company have been great transactions. I have also meet a number of people recently that know Douglas in real life and they only have great things to say about him as a person. I for one will continue to use his products. Love the Harvest Moon by the way.

Brendan

Thanks for writing @D_Smythe and interacting here. I've watched all the flair ups, discussions and mess on a number of different forums, sites and videos. It's amazing how little things become all out battles. In this niche interest of wet shaving, the Internet has fuelled both positive connections and negative distractions. It's easy for a simple misunderstanding to become an all out war of words. "Personalities" are the victims and the main ringleaders. It's absolutely ridiculous to watch TBH. A lot of the stupidity comes from the land of freedom and independence, but we certainly aren't immune from it here in our lazy land DownUnder.

The bottom line is that it's never clear and straight forward unless you know someone personally. It's why I enjoy meeting people in this hobby/interest face-to-face. There's some terrific people out there worth meeting. I think there's also a lot of people willing to hide behind words and personalities, inciting and ridiculing because they can get away with it. Others simply are a kangaroo short in the top paddock...

Thanks for sharing on this thread mate.

I'm lost. If this originated over at B&B and it's got all the classic hallmarks (people not understanding what it's all about, not reading what's been posted, fuckwit moderators threatening bans) maybe you guys can either take this back over there or, if you understandably don't wish to be distracted by the general ignorance that is B&B, PM each other.

Oh and hello and welcome @D_Smythe.

Status
Not open for further replies.