alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
AAAAAHHHHHHHHH.......used this brush the other day and today morning I look :cry::cry::cry:

BrokenHandle1S_zpsyp1cksio.jpg

BrokenHandle2S_zpswbm46mtv.jpg

BrokenHandle2S_zpswbm46mtv.jpg

I know this is a very cheap handle but I really like this brush...

I have no clue what to do - besides ordering a new one. But why did it happen and what can I do next time to avoid this?

How long have you had it? Seems an issue with the resin. Could you ask the manufacturer or where you bought it?

That looks like a Vie Long. The plastic is not of very high quality.

Mine fell off the sink and onto the floor which was not helpful. I only got a small ding in it, not a huge crack.

But mine didn't fall anywhere, that's the sad thing :(

Yes it is a Vie-Long 12705B - my first shave with it was Aug.31.2014, so I have it ~ 6 1/2 months and I bought if from G&C.

I know the handle is cheap, but really like this brush...

You don't?
Just kidding, but I do keep a simple shave diary, because it helps me to find things I like (I.e. razor/blade combinations etc.)

Sending it back is probably not worth it. Get in touch and see what they'll do. Otherwise try and fix it.

How?

I've sent Juan already a message...

How long have you had it? Seems an issue with the resin. Could you ask the manufacturer or where you bought it?
Yes it is a Vie-Long 12705B - my first shave with it was Aug.31.2014, so I have it ~ 6 1/2 months and I bought if from G&C.

Bahahaha, no excuse me for a moment so I can compose my... nope ahahahahaha... sorry... hahahaha... yeah, ok.
Vie Long and customer service, you're SOL there, yet I'm positive Juan @Gifts&Care.com is far more accommodating than those rogues.

Speculation only, yet hair swells when wet, possibly the base of the knot got wet, swelled up and the pressure fractured the plastic to alleviate the pressure.

Possible to remove the knot ?
I've a faulty knot Vie Long (aka Shedomatic - it malts before, during and after use) the handle appears to be ok, so if you desire to preserve the knot and keep it in the family so to speak, perhaps we can chat ?

Sorry for your loss @alfredus . I agree with @borked (not something we often admit) sounds like a swelling/fracture issue. Though there's a silver lining - sounds like your knot is sound (not a shedder, like some...) so I'd also recommend a reknot...maybe @Pjotr can be engaged for assistance? A reknot addresses a known issue with VieLong handles, by taking it out of the equation altogether, and enjoying that quality knot in a carriage more capable. Also the issues associated with removal are mostly addressed as it seems already halfway there.

FWIW I have the exact same brush but with the unbleached knot and have two cracks also in mine! Not as bad as your ones but when they first appeared I assumed the wife had dropped or similar. I was just going to apply a thin layer of epoxy resin to strengthen and slow further cracking.

But mine didn't fall anywhere, that's the sad thing :(

I know the handle is cheap, but really like this brush...

If I were you $25 for a vulfix 404 delivered from Nannys silly soap. Reknot it in that handle and I think you'd have an awesome brush.

Nah it can't be swelling. What is there to swell? I think you'll find it's just a bad quality plastic that the handle is made out of. You could try and save the knot and try and find a handle to fit it but personally I'd say a little prayer, close my eyes and drop the thing in the bin.

Last edited:
If I were you $25 for a vulfix 404 delivered from Nannys silly soap. Reknot it in that handle and I think you'd have an awesome brush.

So, buy a brush, remove a perfectly good boar/badger knot and fit a second hand boar knot in to that? Chances are the Vie Long knot will be a different diameter. If it's too big you can actually reduce the diameter but it's a bit brutal and desperate in my view. If it's too small you'll have to sink the knot down probably way too much and lose density and backbone in the process. Just say bye bye and put it down to experience. We all get used to our brushes. I've got six of them and I wouldn't like losing a single one. Shit happens!

Nah it can't be swelling. What is there to swell? I think you'll find it's just a bad quality plastic that the handle is made out of. You could try and save the knot and try and find a handle to fit it but personally I'd say a little prayer, close my eyes and drop the thing in the bin.
Hair!
Apparently when wet, it swells by 25%

@borked so you want to give me your handle or you want my knot? First is great, let's talk - second, not so good - really like my knot.

@Pjotr so you think putting it into a different handle is out of the question?

What is most likely going to happen if I keep using it?

Hair!

Only the part that can wet. The stuff in the knot's base is pretty much a solid mass of glue.

If it's that favorite a brush, I'd just buy a new one. It's not a Plisson. you don't need to take out a loan for one...

Hair!

As Drubster has pointed out the hair is firmly embedded in epoxy resin glue generally right up to the top of the handle so it won't get wet. If it does then the glue has disintegrated and it would be shedding like my Labrador. If hair does swell by 25% and it does get wet right to the base, brushes would explode in your hand on the first use.