Cracked Brush Handle - what to do?

@Pjotr so you think putting it into a different handle is out of the question?

It's not out of the question but on the face of it (removing knot from handle, buying new brush and removing knot from there too, hoping knot will fit perfectly n new handle) seems like a complete pain in the butt for what is after all a simple boar knot which you can buy in decent handles for bugger all. After a few uses with a new boar brush you won't know the difference.

What is most likely going to happen if I keep using it?

You'll get pissed off with using a brush that looks it's been hit by a tractor and if that doesn't happen it'll gradually get skankier looking as soap scum builds up in the cracks and then, assuming the cracks go all the way through, it might start smelling funky because it can't dry out properly. You can try and repair it which might retard the above scenarios but it's unlikely you'll be able to do a repair job that will exclude the possibility of water getting in to the base of the knot.

@alfredus , keep it simple and prudent pal - if you don't have any already pick up some 2 part epoxy (better known as the version sold as Araldite) which you can nowadays get from a lot of Asian variety stores for very cheap. Mix and apply, adjusting it whilst it's softish to get the shape you like and a smooth finish. Put LESS on than you think you need allowing to run downwards rather than up.

You should get a decent finish and it will do the main thing which is keep a much loved brush completely usable and will cost you a few dollars at most.

If you haven't used 2 part epoxy before make a small test batch beforehands and use on a piece of wood or anything a similar shape to see how workable it is whist uncured. Once it cures fully it'll be rock hard and have a very smooth glasslike finish. A test run is prolly a good idea as it's not the easiest stuff to learn how to use ON THE JOB.

If hair does swell by 25% and it does get wet right to the base, brushes would explode in your hand on the first use.
Heh, heh! Exploding shaving brushes...

Sounds like a case for the Mythbusters.

No need for that. The Egyptians (just to state a well known example) used the expansion force of bone dry timber wedged in rock and then wetted to crack open huge boulders for their pyramids. As a boat builder I've seen plenty of dry wooden boat hulls basically destroyed by people caulking them up too tight and then launching them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips - will try epoxy next weekend...

Thanks for the tips - will try epoxy next weekend...

That's just about the only thing you can sensibly do. Don't know if you've used the stuff before but it's without doubt the messiest substance ever made. Wrap the knot in masking tape (comes off easy, done it countless times) because if you get a glob of that in your knot-even a seemingly harmless smear on your hands will do it-you will have to chuck it all.

Just wanted to give an update: I got a full refund from G&C (minus shipping) - now that's what I call customer service. They actually contacted Vie-Long and that's why it took so long...

I suggested, I use the money as credit towards a new brush - but they insisted on refunding into my PP account...fantastic!

Just ordered the same great knot with a different (butterscotch) handle and I guess I will keep this knot as backup, should anything be wrong with the new knot.

Just wanted to give an update: I got a full refund from G&C (minus shipping) - now that's what I call customer service. They actually contacted Vie-Long and that's why it took so long...

I suggested, I use the money as credit towards a new brush - but they insisted on refunding into my PP account...fantastic!

Just ordered the same great knot with a different (butterscotch) handle and I guess I will keep this knot as backup, should anything be wrong with the new knot.
Great end to a sad tale. Got to say I'm a big fan of @Gifts&Care.com I've ordered from them twice and been very happy with the service and advice. I actually have another part order with them as we speak...

Looking forward to seeing the new knots mate