December 2013 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are better places in Sydney to buy from than Nick Hacko. His prices are seriously high, and his 'service' consists of yelling at people sometimes. There's a couple of other places in Sydney that do secondhand which have reasonable markups.

There are better places in Sydney to buy from than Nick Hacko. His prices are seriously high, and his 'service' consists of yelling at people sometimes. There's a couple of other places in Sydney that do secondhand which have reasonable markups.

Mate, did you forget something, such as details of said locations ? ;)

Weber 320Q Au barbecue - first run this morning - works just as promised. (I now have 2 Weber Kettle bbqs a 6 burner gas and now the Weber q. What an evil influence you have been on me Mark :)

Webber q are amazing i think. Love how the heat distribution works!!!!

You will need to collect sheds to store your bbqs!

Wrist watches and Webers!!!! For Christs sake, I only want to see huge great embarrassingly big piles of shaving gear so that I can feel better about my embarrassingly big pile of shaving gear. Marks a great contributor in this regard. If anybody says to me: "Wow, you've got a load of shaving gear", I can say: "You are kidding me, I know this guy who.....".

As I'm not into wrist watches and Webers, this isn't helping me at all.

Gee whiz, why do I now want to get more watches and a Weber or 5 ....

Bought myself another Gillette '04. Just can't stay away from them when the prices are reasonable. (G years )
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387107765.472589.jpg

Just picked up an 1953/54 Aristocrat Junior in the wild. no pics of it yet, but it's the "rocket Style" head version from Mr Razor. Plating in good condition at first glance, mechanically perfect.

Going to give it a clean and use it tonight...

Today I ordered a Simpson Major. I will post a review of it sv the frank shaving travel brush. And I am itching to order some astra blues :))

Haha ok will do. First think i open in Christmas Eve when I get home! Thank you again! Can you bear a number of shaves thread for them hahaha

Haha ok will do. First think i open in Christmas Eve when I get home! Thank you again! Can you bear a number of shaves thread for them hahaha

As long as it isn't an Astra - go right ahead.

As long as it isn't an Astra - go right ahead.

I dont get the hate for Astra's. I find them a perfectly serviceable blade! They work well for me in both my old type DE, and the shavette I regularly use.... Not singling you out RM, just an observation overall!

There's no real hate for Astras. And yes, it's a perfectly serviceable blade. The anti-Astra posts are in response to Ybbor's attempt to elevate it to legendary status because:

• He's trying to wind us up. Successfully I might add.
  • He's got maidenhair for chin stubble and subsequently got a ridiculous amount of shaves out of one.
  • He accidentally snagged the one and only Astra blade in existence that will rival the best DE blade ever made.

In short, on a forum populated by vintage DE blade tragics (and I have become one of them) the amount of posts dedicated to sing the praises of nothing more than a perfectly serviceable blade was and is too much to handle and was and will be treated with as much venom and derision possible. Nothing more than a bit of fun in other words. I took the desperate measure of sending him some of my carefully collected vintage blades in the hope of turning him in to a fellow tragic. Unfortunately he's been away on holiday (by the way who only takes one type of blade on an extended break?) and until he comes back won't stop giving us more Astra posts.

Just had a Leatherman Juice KF4 arrive at work, bought 2nd hand from ebay as these have been discontinued.

I didn't want anything with scissors or corkscrew, so the current offerings didn't work for me, and the KF4, probably because it has been retired, is considered the best of the bunch. They are almost as rare as rocking horse shit - the only one I can see on ebay at the moment is on the US site for $135! The one I have has a little wabi on it from bouncing against some keys I would imagine, but seems to be in pretty good condition.

I managed to beat the other bidder by a whopping 6 cents, so I only just got it.

I've got a couple of cases of beer on the way from https://www.beermasons.com.au/store which I hope will arrive either today or tomorrow as they had a few decent looking brews on special last week.

I am also *still* waiting for a 250GB SSD from the Amazon Black Friday sale, which is now over a week overdue. Don't know what I am going to do with all this time off if that doesn't arrive by tomorrow.

This is a pic of the one on ebay going for $135 which looks in worse nick than the one I picked up much cheaper.
$_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.