December 2020 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you have filled out your death will, before, your wife find out when she goes through the bank statement
She's not fussed as its spending some early Xmas/Birthday cash from family in readiness for the 2021 Sabbatical!

Just one more ''special'' shiny item on my radar and a few synthetic knots before I can close up the wallet and enjoy my shaving collection. :cigar:

She's not fussed as its spending some early Xmas/Birthday cash from family in readiness for the 2021 Sabbatical!

Just one more ''special'' shiny item on my radar and a few synthetic knots before I can close up the wallet and enjoy my shaving collection. :cigar:
Your wife wouldn’t be too happy seeing too many wet shaving gear in your bloody den, then she’ll start complaining about the joint account agreement to make sure that you’re paying off the bloody mortgage on the house, before, you retired as a Grumpy Old Fart.

Just received from a far off and exotic land, a very rare and much sort-after Gold Dollar 208 straight razor.

The scales are of a delicately moulded ABS plastic with integrated wedge, all hand finished by highly skilled tradesmen with a nickel alloy pin at each end. It was packaged in a finely finished cardboard case complete with magnetic closure and the razor mounted in a deluxe red plastic surround.

The Chinese writing inside the case lid are instructions on how to shave with a straight razor.

3lermxx.jpg

vcdohFD.jpg

Eat your heart out with envy.

Now all I have to do is resist the urge to put together a M7DS of these fine precision-engineered Chinese razors!

Shampooed and conditioned ready to whip up some lather

x6uw0qu.jpg

Restored Ever-Ready 150 Shaving Brush with 22mm Silvertip Knot
Rooney Pure Badger with Butterscotch handle
Compliments of Murphy & McNeil

.... It was packaged in a finely finished cardboard case complete with magnetic closure and the razor mounted in a deluxe red plastic surround.
...Eat your heart out with envy.
Methinks someone has an overdeveloped sarcasm gland... ;)

64-E04-BFE-95-C3-4-D5-A-8899-32-E2-C3-B58-E67.jpg

Well, after using a pack of Polsilvers (which I considered overpriced per blade) and finding them good but not great, I’ve watched with skepticism as the masses on here rave about Wizamet Super Iridiums.

So... after my first shave with 1 today (in Rockwell 6S/6), I’ve pulled the trigger on an order for QTY 250. I’ll let that speak for itself.

oh and many thanks to @Holiday for throwing in a free tuck of these with my recent brush purchase😉. Enabling at its best!

Well, after using a pack of Polsilvers (which I considered overpriced per blade) and finding them good but not great, I’ve watched with skepticism as the masses on here rave about Wizamet Super Iridiums.

So... after my first shave with 1 today (in Rockwell 6S/6), I’ve pulled the trigger on an order for QTY 250. I’ll let that speak for itself.
That's odd, Polsilver and Wizamet are (by most accounts) supposed to be exactly the same blade. Yes, they are comparatively expensive, but not outrageously so, depending on when you pick your moment to go shopping. Mine were $35 for 100 from a SA seller in July. (jablonsky999, but he appears to have nothing listed at the moment.)

I guess we shouldn't exclude the possibility that you might have had a knockoff before. I've heard that happens.

My Polsilvers haven't had so much use in the last few months since I "discovered" Gillette 7O'Clock SharpEdge Yellows, which are a bit sharper than PSI/Wizamet, and give a lovely shave.

That's odd, Polsilver and Wizamet are (by most accounts) supposed to be exactly the same blade
I’m sure they are, I was a bit of a newbie to wet shaving when I had them, and could hardly discern the difference between a Derby Extra and a Feather. I was chopping and changing razors every second shave too (generally ultra mild second hand Gillette tech’s and the Feather Popular TTO). I’d say my technique was comparatively unrefined and inconsistent back then too. And when I say a “pack” I mean a single tuck of 5 Polsilvers (which would account for the relatively steep cost per blade when buying single tucks as well).

I do actually have a couple packs 7 O’Clock yellows, and got them based on some of the recent chatter here. I had a larger stash of the 7 O’Clock greens in my blade collection too (but they’re nothing to write home about). Will give the yellow a whirl once this Wizamet gives up.

Status
Not open for further replies.