Do you trim first?

urnme

Hi All,

I occasionally will go 2 - 3 weeks at a time without shaving, and have a decent beard happening.

I don't bother trimming and just hack at it with a new blade. I would only ever do this at night, because there's a pretty good chance I'll have a few nicks and weepers afterwards.

Anyone else here beard up occasionally?

Do you trim before shaving?

Or are you all clean shaven?

I'm lazy. If I haven't shaved for a couple weeks I just shave.

Plenty of lather, plenty of trips to the sink to keep the razor free of hair. easy as. Don't cut myself any more than usual but I have a pretty light beard in the scheme of things.

I wouldn't bother trying with a razor without a bit of blade gap though. A vintage SS, Krona etc would probably make for an annoying experience due to clogging too quickly.

34C laughs at my beard and takes it off easily. Just take short strokes, normal technique and it should be piece of piss.

My 39C with a Feather blade has no problem removing my beard.

It was more for interest.

Maybe I should've done a poll..

Are you a lazy shaver.. yes or no. lol

Suddenly the cut up face makes sense :D

I don't usually cut myself. But I certainly couldn't guarantee myself that I wouldn't have a nick when shaving off a 3 week beard. I wouldn't want to shave in the morning and have a meeting first thing at work - Just in case.

I've just bought some of the proraso shave cut healing gel, maybe that will solve my issue.

I like shaving at night and taking my time. Don't like being rush while shaving.:D

I am of the very lazy persuasion.

I have been shaving more frequently since I started DE shaving, but still only a max of about 3 times per week.

I guess I am lucky in that I don't have a fast growing beard and my hair is quite fine, so a week or two's growth doesn't cause too many problems. I just have to be a little more careful than usual, and the razor gets flushed out more frequently.

Go and buy a dovo basic :) straight razor then you don't have to worry about new blade or gap width.

I loved DE then I mastered the straight. DE's are only when I'm in a rush now. I am a merkur + feather lover.

Straight razors sound like way too much work for a lazy shaver like me. lol.

Well if you shave once every 2/3 weeks I think a straight would be perfect for you.

Once it's honed well the razor would last over 3 months without a rehone even longer

Get yourself a strop and your ready to go

It's not rocket science

I have a goattee and I shave daily.

I feel I need to shave every day or I feel like a hobo.

Although on a weekend I don't shave on Saturdays because I'm playing my drums most of the day and rock and roll is all about scruffiness.

Two to three weeks without shaving....what are you doing here?

Well if you shave once every 2/3 weeks I think a straight would be perfect for you.

Once it's honed well the razor would last over 3 months without a rehone even longer

Get yourself a strop and your ready to go

It's not rocket science

I didn't know that about straights, I've never looked into them. I thought they took quite a bit of maintenance.

I usually shave 2 - 3 times a week.

I'm thinking of not shaving until fathers day when I get my new gear... that'll be around 4 weeks!

To put a toe in the water of straights you could try a shavett. A divo shavett and a feather DE blade. It's not as nice as a straight but way better than a DE if the hair has length.

great, so looks like i'm now hooked on straight shaving.

Still gotta do some more research into what I actually need.

I asked my wife to buy me this for christmas..
Dovo Straight Razor (Cut Throat Razor): Mammoth Ivory 5/8 Inch 1105861

+ i said I would need strops and hones to be able to use it.

That's a lot of $$ overkill - you're paying for the scales, not the blade. You don't need hones to start, you'll have your hands full learning how to strop and use the razor first.

That said, those scales should never need replacing either! Seems much too expensive for someone starting out.

If buying new, I would start with a base model Dovo Classic Black in 6/8. There should be plenty of life in that razor.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of vintage straights in good condition on eBay that you should be able to get for about $50 landed. Best way to start your straight journey. Maybe get a Gold Dollar or two to practice honing also.

+1 I suggest 5/8 dovo basic in the men's biz straight starter pack.

+1 The gold dollar is a good way to learn to hone.

Only go expensive for straights when you know what u want.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345894804.635741.jpg