Help:- So many different types of slant razors

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day ;)

The only safety razor I don't have in my collection is a Slant and there are many different types of brand and model to choose, I really don't know or which slant to choose because I've never used a slant razor when I've been using different types of open & close razors. So I would like you're help please if any of you have own a number of slant razors in you're collection, or if you're currently using your favourite slant razor during your shaves so which slant would you recommend me that would give me a very close and smooth comfortable shave.

Complete list of Slant Safety Razors:- if theirs any more slant not shown on the list below please tell me ;)

Above the Tie Slant Close Comb
Above the Tie Slant Open Comb

Fine Superlight Slant Razor

iKon B1 Slant DLC
iKon ShaveCraft 102 Slant
iKon X3 Slant

Maggard Slant

Merkur 37C Short Handle Slant
Merkur 39C Long Handle Slant

RazoRock Kiyara Slant Razor
RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor
RazoRock "Prototype" DLC Stealth Slant
RazoRock Stealth Slant
RazoRock Wunderbar Slant Razor

Cheers (y)

37c is high in my rotation.
39c is yet to win me over...

What safety bar razors do you like @SpeedyPC ?

I was reading only recently here I think, someone commented and said 2015 was the year of the Slant and 2016 was the year of the adjustable. I don't feel the need for a slant myself, but I know they are highly popular and I certainly appreciate your curating such an exhaustive list @SpeedyPC - it's always good to have complete lists for future reference.

@alfredus I was thinking about getting a RazoRock Wunderbar Slant Razor or iKon B1 Slant, and to be honest @alfredus I don't really know what I want as I'm completely lost.
Tell us what razors out of your current collection are your favourites and we can make a recommendation from that.

The Wunderbar slant is a great razor but if you are not used to using an efficient and heavy razor with very light pressure you will not get a great result. If you prefer a really mild razor something like the iKon 102 or Stealth Slant might be more to your liking. The X3 is a good middle ground razor (probably leaning more towards being a mild slant). I have not used the Merkur 37c but believe it is in the middle ground and perhaps leaning towards more aggressive, the Razorock German 37c is modelled after this razor and is almost identical from what I understand.

So as you can see it really depends on what you like and don't like in a razor. If you are happy to spend some money and buy a variety of slant bar razors then it really doesn't matter where you start just pick one and move through the range on offer from there. If I told you which of my slants were my favourites there would be some confusion as I have favourites that cover the entire range of mildness/aggressiveness range and generally pick a razor based upon how I feel on any given day and what sort of result I want to achieve.

13 November 2016

Complete update list of Slant Safety Razors:- if theirs any more slant not shown on the list below please tell me ;) and sorry I've made an error

Above the Tie Slant Close Comb
Above the Tie Slant Open Comb

Fine Superlight Slant Razor

iKon B1 Slant DLC
iKon ShaveCraft 102 Slant
iKon X3 Slant

Maggard Slant

Merkur 37C Short Handle Slant
Merkur 39C Long Handle Slant

RazoRock Kiyara Slant Razor - have been permanently discontinued and replaced with the new and improved RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor
RazoRock "Prototype" DLC Stealth Slant - have been permanently discontinued and replaced with the new and improved RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
RazoRock Stealth Slant - have been permanently discontinued and replaced with the new and improved RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
RazoRock Wunderbar Slant Razor

Tell us what razors out of your current collection are your favourites and we can make a recommendation from that.

@nsavage here are my complete collection and I love them all

EJ DE89 Extra Grip Knurled
Fatip Piccolo Nickel - My deepest favourite
Fatip Grande Nickel
Gillette Fatboy Adjustable G2 1961
Gillette New Long Comb 1930 - waiting for my order to arrived
Maggard Razors v2.0 Open Comb with a MR5 Handle
Merkur Progress Long Handle
Merkur 23C
Merkur 25C
Merkur 33C
Merkur 34C - My deepest favourite
Merkur 1904/41C Open Comb - My deepest favourite
Muhle R41 v2013 - My deepest favourite
Muhle R89 with a Weber Razor Classic Handle - My deepest favourite
Phoenix Double Open Comb
Phoenix Symmetry Open Comb - My deepest favourite
Razorock Mission - My deepest favourite
RazoRock Old Type Open Comb - My deepest favourite
RazoRock Quick Change DE Safety Razor - my travel razor
Rockwell 6s
Standard Razor
Viking Blade The Chieftain Safety Razor - my travel razor

Rockwell Model T - waiting for my order to arrived until March 2017 shipping & under project design development.
Rockwell 6C White Chrome - waiting for my order to arrived until March 2017 shipping

Future shopping list for 2017.
Timeless Open Comb
Pearl SSH-01 Open Comb
Parker Variant Adjustable
Gillette SuperSlim Adjustable
Gillette Red Tip Super Speed
Gillette Super Adjustable
Above the Tie Open Comb

PS:- There all NOT for sale

Last edited:

Fatip Grande Nickel
Merkur 23C
Merkur 25C
Merkur 33C
Phoenix Double Open Comb
Phoenix Symmetry Open Comb
Rockwell 6s
Standard Razor

Rockwell Model T - waiting for my order to arrived until March 2017 shipping & under project design development.
Rockwell 6C White Chrome - waiting for my order to arrived until March 2017 shipping

Timeless Open Comb
Pearl SSH-01 Open Comb
Well that does not make it any easier @SpeedyPC LOL.

I would start out with something fairly mid range then and also something that would be relatively easy to move on if you decide that you do not like it. My first thoughts would be a Merkur 37c or similar. The iKon X3 is an excellent razor and @Psmith is asking a very fair price. I have no idea why it has not sold 10 times already.

Fatip Grande Nickel
Merkur 23C
Merkur 25C
Merkur 33C
Phoenix Double Open Comb
Phoenix Symmetry Open Comb - My deepest favourite
Rockwell 6s
Standard Razor

Timeless Open Comb
Pearl SSH-01 Open Comb
Above the Tie Open Comb

PS:- There all NOT for sale
Seems like you enjoy a wide range of levels of efficiency, which leads me to believe you'll love a slant. From my experience the iKon DLC Slant is a tad more aggressive than the X3, if you find the right angle. If you don't find the right angle i can bite a little. Both me and @silver love them, but you do need to play around with them to find the zone. the iKon X3 is a tremendous razor at half the price of the DLC. It is about a 5 on a Fatboy, but really smooth. I think you would have to work hard to nick yourself. I like to use it as an early morning/hangover razor.

Seems like you enjoy a wide range of levels of efficiency, which leads me to believe you'll love a slant. From my experience the iKon DLC Slant is a tad more aggressive than the X3, if you find the right angle. If you don't find the right angle i can bite a little. Both me and @silver love them, but you do need to play around with them to find the zone. the iKon X3 is a tremendous razor at half the price of the DLC. It is about a 5 on a Fatboy, but really smooth. I think you would have to work hard to nick yourself. I like to use it as an early morning/hangover razor.

Thanks for tagging me here, otherwise I would not have noticed this thread.

I concur with @Psmith

I have nothing but slants as my daily drivers now. Love slants. Love.

In order of preference of my arsenal, this is how I'd list them, ATT S1 > iKon Slant > iKon X3

ATT's slant is absolutely the top slant of my arsenal.

Hoffritz/Coles/ other branded names Merkur made for travel slant.
It is another high upon my list.