Hi all

MrT

Commander of Soap
State Rep - NSW
Group Buy Associate
Hey

Matt here, from Sydney. 31. Been wet-shaving now for about 5 months. I love it. My wife thinks the whole thing is pretty funny, but she just rolls her eyes and laughs. I love the ritual/process/routine of the whole thing, plus the excitment of trying new soaps/razors etc. I'm also very into coffee, which is similar in that it is all about technique/consistency, and I love the ritual of making coffee in the morning. I also love cooking... It is easy to see a trend.

In terms of modern hardware, I currently have the following:
EJ DE89L
Merkur 34c
Ikon shavecraft 101 with bulldog handle
Wilkinson Sward Classic
EJ BBB
Muhle Kosmo Silvertip
Muhle STF2 knot is on its way (to screw into the Kosmo)
Semogue 620

I really like the semogue. It's really soft now. Great backbone. I find the Muhle silvertip too floppy. I havent used the EJBBB yet (it's for Christmas, and I'm not allowed to open it yet...). Looking forward to the STF knot.

Got a few vintage gillettes too.
2 techs, I think 60s. One is aluminium. One is much heavier, so it is plated something.
New OC Long Comb. 30s or 40s (not sure how to tell)
Knack (I think), or maybe slim twist TTO. 1975 (v3 date code). Blue plastic handle.

Lots of creams and soaps. I really like cella. Also like TOBS sandalwood cream and soap (I think I prefer the soap, although the smell of the cream is amazing). I have some MWF, but am still getting used to it. I have some RR XXX on its way too - super keen to try that one out.

I still have lots to learn and I have a long way to go in terms of technique etc. I have the evil combination of a coarse beard and sensitive skin, so BBS shaves are out of the question, and I need to be content with CCS. I'm definitely improving though. I haven't nicked myself in yonks, and I generally have no irritation or ingrowns now.

Anyway, looking forward to participating a bit here. I initally joined B&B, but it is WAY too big, and I prefer the feel of a smaller community.

Welcome.
There are a few of us in the same boat as you with regards to coffee. Several people have espresso machines, and a few of us even roast our own.

Just watch out for the urinal cake scented Arko boys - they will try to convert you too if you are not careful.

Ha. I've read a bit about arko. It really seems to polarize people.

Yeah, I roast too. I have a Behmor 1600+. It's pretty good for the casual home roaster.

Ooh, the + eh? I've got the standard 1600. Do you find the extra controls offered by the + make a lot of difference in the cup?

I pity the fool who messes around with Arko, crazy fools like Murdoch they are.

Anyway, enough of this jibber jabber.

Yeah, I like the +. I bought the upgrade panel. Only about $60. I much prefer to roast by sight and sound (I used to roast on a BBQ with a drum and rotisserie), so I like to be able to change the power level at will.

But if you don't like to faff with the roaster, and want it more set and forget, then I wouldn't bother with the +.

Welcome MrT

I guess you also use straights and forgot to mention it? [emoji12]

I enjoy campos coffee when I'm in town

Hey Nonick

I'd like to eventually. It definitely appeals to me... I wouldn't want to sneeze at the wrong point though and end up decapitating myself. Once I master the safety I may then think about trying a straight.

Campos is tasty. Although, it is more like a major brand cream, kinda like TOBS or something. There is a whole world of good 'artesian' coffee roasters out there to try :)

Hey there @MrT
I passed on the Behmoor as I'm after a gas system with more control.
Love the RR XXX.
You need some Aussie artisan soaps in your life: Occams, Shaver Heaven, Johnny Good Sir... [emoji6]
Lots around to try. Hopefully another pass-around box will happen soon in the New Year.
Totally understand the smaller forum- that's us! Hang around and join the fun. [emoji1]

Hello and welcome MrT. Looks like you're a prime candidate for more DE blades. You don't get a look in here unless you've got enough blades to hand down to 5 generations. If they're vintage you get extra credit.

Thanks guys.

Aussie artisan soaps sounds good. Where do you buy them from?

I've got a few blades, but not a plethora like you suggest. I initially bought a bunch of different trial packs, but settled on the Persona Lab Blues, and now have a 100 pack of them. I quite liked the Astra SP too, but I only have a few left. Got some Persona Med prep, but couldn't really tell the difference from them and the blue. Plus got a few Wilkinson Sward, Bic yellows, Merkur, Feather, Derby... I think that's it.

Do you shave with the vintage blades? Make sure your tetanus shots are up to date...

Lol :)

I'd be seriously impressed if you were shaving with blades dug up at Gallipoli!

I'm also very into coffee, which is similar in that it is all about technique/consistency, and I love the ritual of making coffee in the morning.

G'day Matt,

I'm into the coffee thing too. Had a couple of my own espresso vans I had built, serving mainly at the home of the mighty North Queensland Cowboys for 11 seasons plus various events and markets. Vans & machines gone now. Just a Rancilio machine & Iber Ital grinder in the kitchen these days. Life is too short for bad coffee.

Dale.

I assume that you're not a fan of Valor... :)

I just ordered some Johnny Good Sir timbr soap from etsy. Should arrive early next week. Ingredient list was good. On paper it ticks all the boxes,

You'll have a fellow fanbois club member in Stillsy then. He loved the TMBR

G'day Matt,

Just a Rancilio machine & Iber Ital grinder in the kitchen these days.
Used to have a Rancilio S26 two group commercial machine in my unit when I was in Cairns.