January 2018 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Starling Razor is going back to PAA for a replacement. Because the top cap has many issues because the top cap need to roll forward to allow the back end need more L corner shape to come in contact with the base plate, at the front of the top cap there should be no gaps between the blade this needed to be flush flat and level on top of the blade surface.
That is a shame Speedy. I read about this issue while I was waiting for mine. The first thing I did was put a blade in to check, you can see the blade in mine in the picture above, it seems fine. I read it was more of a problem with the blue plate than the yellow. I haven't tried the yellow yet, does yours do it with both plates?

IMG_20180119_125940.jpg

Nice shop and mail call.

Shaver Shop has the new Proraso colognes at 10% off ($44ish) and I think the Cypress & Vetiver job really is a friendly summer scent for teaching this year. Old school but not. Pino without the headbut, if you will.

The razor is a vintage Lux in great condition. I had been looking last year for one of these as I'd heard it was an aggressive European variation on the venerable Tech. This one in great condition popped up on the bay and I couldn't help myself. One of you guys??

Collage_2018-01-19_13_03_14.jpg

Oh, and thanks to @shavenardo for his Red & Black case at that ludicrously good price (I gave him a Florida Water to be fair). It has helped lift my very good condition New LC considerably. The usergrade New is in the dishwasher as I speak and I will marry it to my usergrade case. I'll chuck it in the next pass around or travelling box with @Mark1966

IMG_20180119_130149.jpg

Last edited:
That is a shame Speedy. I read about this issue while I was waiting for mine. The first thing I did was put a blade in to check, you can see the blade in mine in the picture above, it seems fine. I read it was more of a problem with the blue plate than the yellow. I haven't tried the yellow yet, does yours do it with both plates?
@Sticky the main problems was the top cap when I fully check mine when I inserted the GEM blade when I tighten both cap and base plate, there was a gap exposed about 1.5mm wide from the top surface of the GEM blade to the underside of the top cap, and the about 1mm wide from the underside of the GEM blade to the top of the base plate roughly.

Ha ha, I am weak.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Interesting @Greenpike, I almost pulled the trigger on an Azure Lime (??) set in that range. It will be interesting to see what you think of the Vetiver down the track being a lover of it myself.

Superb choice of soap, it's not much in the Fragrance department but oh boy does it make a grand lather when loaded heavy :)
Thanks mate. I've only used it once. I agree with you on the fragrance. Not bad but a bit ho hum to be honest. Good thing I've got plenty of APR aftershave to compensate!

I'm still getting the lather dialed in but still had a great shave. Lovely after shave feel though.

Oh, and thanks to @shavenardo for his Red & Black case at that ludicrously good price (I gave him a Florida Water to be fair). It has helped lift my very good condition New LC considerably. The usergrade New is in the dishwasher as I speak and I will marry it to my usergrade case. I'll chuck it in the next pass around or travelling box with @Mark1966

IMG_20180119_130149.jpg
Very nice!

I've been waiting for this to arrive for some time. Never used, still wrapped, and with some handy instructions. I don't know that I will use this either. I will have a proper inspection tomorrow. It cost more than the original 5 shillings but less than it might have done as it was poorly listed in antiques.

LfhjKupl.jpg
Nice pick really good score

My Starling Razor is going back to PAA for a replacement. Because the top cap has many issues because the top cap need to roll forward to allow the back end need more L corner shape to come in contact with the base plate, at the front of the top cap there should be no gaps between the blade this needed to be flush flat and level on top of the blade surface.
Sorry to hear that you had issues and require sending back the razor. Here's hoping you get a better one soon as I've always found quality control on their razors as a let down.

Oh dear.
Look at it this way, if you have never before needed to return a razor, then it has changed your life!

Nice one @UKSteve - I'd be interested on your thoughts on the Viking when you try it.

Well, it’s gone up for sale. It’s not bad, and by that I mean it’s not bad for the price I paid for the split which was £56, compared to the retail £185 for 50ml it’s a massive saving splitting a 500ml between 10. I’d be upset if I’d paid retail.

There’s nothing new or ground breaking with Viking. The opening I liked, a slightly woody, peppery, lemon and bergamot blast that settles very quickly (too quickly for me) into a balanced smooth dry down. I couldn’t get the rose, I don’t know if that’s because I had the MFK rose/oud on the other arm which is very rose heavy.
At this point if you had a sniff you’d probably just go, meh, a nice designer cologne, you could wear this anywhere it’s that generic, safe, uninspiring. A nice spicy lavender woody cologne until it fades and goes.
You wouldn’t go wrong buying it, wearing it around the office everyone would probably say “you smell nice” but then they’d say that with a 1000 others that aren’t the cost of this one, it’s a miss from me, I’d never wear it over anything else in the arsenal.

Well, it’s gone up for sale. It’s not bad, and by that I mean it’s not bad for the price I paid for the split which was £56, compared to the retail £185 for 50ml it’s a massive saving splitting a 500ml between 10. I’d be upset if I’d paid retail.

There’s nothing new or ground breaking with Viking. The opening I liked, a slightly woody, peppery, lemon and bergamot blast that settles very quickly (too quickly for me) into a balanced smooth dry down. I couldn’t get the rose, I don’t know if that’s because I had the MFK rose/oud on the other arm which is very rose heavy.
At this point if you had a sniff you’d probably just go, meh, a nice designer cologne, you could wear this anywhere it’s that generic, safe, uninspiring. A nice spicy lavender woody cologne until it fades and goes.
You wouldn’t go wrong buying it, wearing it around the office everyone would probably say “you smell nice” but then they’d say that with a 1000 others that aren’t the cost of this one, it’s a miss from me, I’d never wear it over anything else in the arsenal.
Thanks @UKSteve - that confirms the opinions I have seen on other reviews - basically a good, "safe" workplace scent that won't offend anyone. No "embalming fluid" comments from your co workers ;)

Nice one @UKSteve - I'd be interested on your thoughts on the Viking when you try it.

Oh it has stylishly dressed hansom middle age Dr. written all over it, I'm betting you love it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.