July 2011 Member Aquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some other goodies...

Gillette 1920 Single Ring
Proraso Pre/Post Cream
Proraso AS Lotion
Geo F Trumper Sampler (they ship to AU now with free shipping)
Alum Block and Styptic Pen
100 x Astra Platinum Blades

Had my first shave with the Fatboy last night and man was I impressed. Very close shave with no cuts or irritation (even on my neck which is usually murder). Really feel like the extra weight helps out a lot, get the impression I was pressing too hard with the Tech.

Big thanks to Mark as well, tried out the Astra platinum blade you sent me with the other samples and it blew the Derby's out of the water, pretty sure I've found my go-to combo now :D

Last edited:
Bugger, if I'd known you liked the Astras I could have chucked 10 or 20 in with the Cella I sent oyu.

Bugger, if I'd known you liked the Astras I could have chucked 10 or 20 in with the Cella I sent oyu.

All good mate, actually tried the Cella last night and was very happy with it.... Thinking i'll probably use that in winter and keep the Proraso for the warmer months!

Cheers again!

.........Alum Block.......

By the way found that my barber, Don's Barber Shop on Scarborough Beach road, stocks Osma Alum blocks for $15. About half the price I paid at Mr Shaver in Perth. Still a ridiculous price for what is basically a block of salt but there you go. They'll also do a traditional shave there. Admittedly with one of those straights with half a Feather blade shoved in but that's as good as you'll get it in most places I would have thought.

Alum. Indian supermarket on Wanneroo Rd, Nollamara. $2. Might have gone up since I was in there a long while ago, might be $3.

Also have Indian Lemon Palmolive shave cream $3.50. Not recommended unless you like wearing lemon cheescake on your face first thing in the morning, and not to be confused with the well regrded Palmolive shave stick with TALLOW! from Europe.

I have some of these coming in (PIF from our Euro member) and will probably have some to throw around. Oh, yes, there will be sheep fat a flying...

Alum. Indian supermarket on Wanneroo Rd, Nollamara. $2. Might have gone up since I was in there a long while ago, might be $3.

Also have Indian Lemon Palmolive shave cream $3.50. Not recommended unless you like wearing lemon cheescake on your face first thing in the morning, and not to be confused with the well regrded Palmolive shave stick with TALLOW! from Europe.

I have some of these coming in (PIF from our Euro member) and will probably have some to throw around. Oh, yes, there will be sheep fat a flying...

Cheers for the heads up on the Indian shop, that is literally like 2 minutes from my place so I'll have to pop in there and check it out!

Mmmmmmm..lemon cheesecake! Talking of pies, you've got your little hands in all of them haven't you. Who's the Euro member? Before you do the unholy grating them in to a bowl thing throw some of it my way! I really need to find a substitute for the Valobra. Every time I think I'll use it, I catch a whiff and quickly put it away again.

hunnymonster is the generous party.

Not sure how many sticks he's sent, but it appears to be 'a few'. And some Erasmic tallow sticks, which may be of more interest than the cream, which I didn't like and is also up for PIF.

See the PIF thread for my current PIFs - Geo F Trumper. Overpriced stuff IMO, but very popular. I think I have a sandalwood fetish coming on.

never tried an alum block before, but "indian supermarket on Wanneroo rd, Nollamara" is doing my head in. Can't quite picture where it is and I know the area well.
Got a rough idea of any nearby shops or nearest intersection? I pretty much can visualize the whole area since I spent my youth in Balcatta, and have lived in Joondanna for the past 15 years driving past that stretch of road all the time, but I'm coming up blank.

never tried an alum block before, but "indian supermarket on Wanneroo rd, Nollamara" is doing my head in. Can't quite picture where it is and I know the area well.
Got a rough idea of any nearby shops or nearest intersection? I pretty much can visualize the whole area since I spent my youth in Balcatta, and have lived in Joondanna for the past 15 years driving past that stretch of road all the time, but I'm coming up blank.

Right next to the Domino's just up from the corner of Amelia St and Wanneroo Road if I'm thinking of the same shop... It's pretty small, only just noticed it a few months back after living in the area for years.

Ahh, the new shops.
They were probably built 15 years ago, but to me they are "the new shops". But didn't think drubbing meant them as that's on the balcatta side of wanneroo road. I thought I was blind and was missing some shops on the east side of wanneroo rd where nollamara is. Not trying to be pedantic, but like I said, I know the area really well so was just confused.
Cheers.

Last edited:
turn onto Wanneroo from Karrinyup rd heading up to Balcatta. Keep your eye out on the left for a small group of shops with parking out the front. It's before you hit Nollamarra plaza and Red Rooster etc.

Geez, you Perth guys really are in my neck of the woods. I know the Indian place you are talking about and it's quite good for food stuffs. I also head next door to Veos for a continental fix. There's also a big Indian place on Hector Street West in Ozzie Park that I ride past that I also want to check out.

Geez, you Perth guys really are in my neck of the woods. I know the Indian place you are talking about and it's quite good for food stuffs. I also head next door to Veos for a continental fix. There's also a big Indian place on Hector Street West in Ozzie Park that I ride past that I also want to check out.

It appears that nobody shaves south of the river. Not surprising. They also support the Dockers. Enough said.

You're either a serious collector or the Canberra posties are a lot more attractive than the WA ones.

It was a pretty good month!

Nollamarra plaza and Red Rooster etc.
Northlands shopping centre in Balcatta dude.
I played space invaders in those new fangled electronic arcade game machines in that balcatta shopping centre in the 1970s, and went to that primary school on Main St. :huh:

Nollamara shopping centre is down Nollamara Ave about 500m off Wanneroo Rd, near Mirrabooka. I know you lived in Woodvale or wherever and are all fancy and that, but people born in osborne park hospital and brought up in Balcatta sure as hell wouldn't want you accusing them of living in Nollamara ;)
Even people living in "westmister" (across the road from northlands in Balcatta where those other shops are like the MCG PC shop, the camping shop and that pawnbroker), would get all uppity if you said they were in Nollamara or Balga

Last edited:
I played space invaders in those new fangled electronic arcade game machines in that balcatta shopping centre in the 1970s, and went to that primary school on Main St. :huh:

Nollamara shopping centre is down Nollamara Ave about 500m off Wanneroo Rd, near Mirrabooka. I know you lived in Woodvale or wherever and are all fancy and that, but people born in osborne park hospital and brought up in Balcatta sure as hell wouldn't want you accusing them of living in Nollamara ;)
Even people living in "westmister" (across the road from northlands in Balcatta where those other shops are like the MCG PC shop, the camping shop and that pawnbroker), would get all uppity if you said they were in Nollamara or Balga

Anyhow the original premise was the existence of a very cheap block of Alum at an Indian shop somewhere in the Balga, Nollamara, Wanneroo, Westminster area.

Westminster? Wot bollox. It's Balga. Even the people living there have been sucked into phoney de-boganisation. Nothing more than a flimsy state govt wacky idea; change the name and 'positively upside' the permanent real estate flat-line.

Yes, the alum is cheap because the locals have no money. Change the to DalMontNedlands, and watch nothing happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.