July 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RAD is strong in this one. You are fitting in perfectly :laugh:

:cheesy: Didn't take long did it!

I now have a few Spoilers on the way to my place. No Mark, not those ones.

These ones: Gillette The Spoiler Super Stainless Blades huge lot of 42 x15 | eBay

Set. For. Life.

I'm freaking ecstatic.

May need to let a few Bleues go now.

Haha I actually saw that auction and wondering if anyone on here would snap it up. I guess that answers that question.

Haha I actually saw that auction and wondering if anyone on here would snap it up. I guess that answers that question.

Anytime you see quantity of Spoilers priced at less than $1/blade delivered, buy them. Ask questions later. 62c blade delivered is a steal!

I think that is about 13 years shaving at a blade a week. I could get 2 weeks out of a Spoiler I reckon.

May have some other blades on the way, in negotiations.

Lucky Tiger Face Scrub
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Proraso Sandalwood and Shea shaving cream
All en route from Mens Biz

I tried to buy more but I am so overloaded with stuff I haven't even tried yet. I need three faces to use up all of this product.

As those of you who have been paying attention may realise, I have been out of the marketplace for some time. Ebay prices have at least doubled since I acquired my stash and I really have all the razors I could ever use. About the only thing I am keeping my eye out for is maybe a few more blades and some smelly. However I had forgotten the promise from SmallYetDeadly to send me a stick of Arko for reasons that are now lost in the mists of time (I suspect a byproduct of the Razor PIF). Anyway he came up with some far fetched excuse like his wife was about to deliver twins as the reason for the delay (What is this younger generation coming to - in my day the wife would have delivered the twins and still be expected to have a hot meal on the table :)
To cut to the chase the twins have arrived and from what I can tell all is well (apart from SYD having to sleep with one eye open as his wife eyes off his SE blades) and he very kndly sent me a stick of ARKO a tube of Godrej and a block of cilt sapi (which when I did the google thing turns out to be block of Alum). So many thanks to SYD and I do hope his wife forgives him soon.

Glen - good to hear you are still around - yes eBay has gone berserk yet again!

I've posted in another thread but hope you don't mine me posting here too -

My bottom-dial 'Fatboy' is come!. Pics from the seller.

(Click on images for larger versions)

Some brassing under the head but hard to notice. it is beautiful...

I suppose I'd better update my signature now too :)

They say a picture tells a thousand words...

2wr42g5.jpg

Once again, very impressed with the shipping speed from shaving.ie

2wr42g5.jpg

Nice - very, very nice. This should keep you going for a while!

OK, it has been a B-I-G (read HUGE!!!) day for me and my credit card (why does Paypal allow you to use credit card?)

As well as the bottom dial I picked up I negotiated with an eBay seller who had this to sell then pulled it:

A very rare NEW President. Click on thumbnails to get full images - they are from the seller. Should be waiting for me on my return!

One of the most beautiful razors Gillette ever made in my view

Very impressive Mark- it does look like a nice piece of kit.

I'm still waiting my my 4 vintage Gillettes to show up, but none are as nice as that one.

Starting to save money already with this wet shaving malarky I see :D

What gillettes did you buy?

Save money you say? :laugh: That's what I keep telling myself (and my wife).

Gillettes inbound:

-Slim adjustable (J2)
-1954 Super Speed (Z1)
-1966 Super Speed with 'flare tip' handle (L2)
-1965 Travel Tech (K4)

Of those, the Tech and the 1954 SS look to be in great condition, whilst the other two will need some TLC. All part of the fun.

A big thanks to ~Spyne~ for sending me a great blade sampler pack!

2r5b5fm.jpg

That, combined with my bulk blade packs reminded me that I need somewhere to store my blades. Enter an old cigar box:

jhdjdl.jpg

Great size for my needs- would easily hold a couple of years worth of blades.

Last edited:
Didn't that happen well over a year ago? And wasn't it your great great great great great Grandson's life they were set for..?
No, no Spoilers. There was 2,000 Dark/Maltese Platinums about 16 months ago.

Yes, Chris is one of the best. Just so you know, your blades (in bulk) are best from BestShave.net - They are pretty much the cheapest for Astra and Derby, plus they are the place you can get the PermaSharp Supers. $2.50 Alum, $2.50 Stryptics, plus some other interesting stuff.

OK, it has been a B-I-G (read HUGE!!!) day for me and my credit card (why does Paypal allow you to use credit card?)

One of the most beautiful razors Gillette ever made in my view

Holy shit Mark, you have outdone yourself now. That's better than any NOS Bottom-Dial with case, shipper and plastic wrap if you ask me. It's a serious piece of kit and rarer than the fowl's incisors.

Save money you say? :laugh: That's what I keep telling myself (and my wife).

A big thanks to ~Spyne~ for sending me a great blade sampler pack!
I thought I recognised the writing on the Barber Personna.... it's mine lol :embarrest:

The White Platinum (Top Left) is an amazing blade, rivals the famed 'Swede' in shave experience although the longevity is not as good. If you want to buy them, expect to pay $1.50/blade delivered though a Spain-based eBay seller. Amazing in the Gillette NEW open combs.

The one below it is the 'Dark' Platinum, or it is sometimes called a 'Maltese' Platinum. I bought 2,000 of these from the eBay seller based in Malta. They are a good all-round blade, sharp enough, smooth enough, decent longevity. Ideal in the FlareTip you have coming, or the Slim dialled up to a big number. Best result in a RedTip - basically a FlareTip but it is heavier (and more aggressive).

The one in the big plastic thing top-right is the fabled NOS GBE's, usually made 3rd Quarter of 2000. Wait until your Slim arrives, dial it to 6, and enjoy.

The rest are self Explanatory, although the Shark in the centre is the Super Stainless, while the one at the bottom is the Super Chrome - both made by LORD in Egypt.

You are missing a few, so I will see what I can pull out of the bag.

Thanks for that awesome post Razormonsta, I appreciate all the info :)

Holy shit Mark, you have outdone yourself now. That's better than any NOS Bottom-Dial with case, shipper and plastic wrap if you ask me. It's a serious piece of kit and rarer than the fowl's incisors.

Thanks mate. I will relax when it arrives, until then a nervous wait for an off eBay purchase from a seller with only 6 feedback on eBay who claimed that his eBay auction listing was pulled by eBay without explanation....

It was funny. This one and a full set were listed on eBay. Then the full set was pulled and listed as an auction with a $450 start and $500 BIN - it was snapped up VERY quickly.

The full set has been sitting for a while at $250 but I know collectors who had snipes set around $1k and one (whose has the initially JR) rumoured to have been willing to pay $1500. There was a LOT of consternation over YNW when it went for such a bargain price. I know that if I'd seen it as a BIN for $500 I would not have hesitated.

Anyway, seeing the thread YNW made me think of the other one listed (this one). Sure enough the listing was ended too so I contacted the seller and we ended up negotiating a deal. More than I was hoping but if it is in as good condition as he says I'll be pleased. Just to find the case and all the other accessories for it and the Bottom Dial!

I'm glad that the set got snaffled like it did - especially since the buyer could have gotten 3 times that amount easily. Hard and expensive lesson for the seller.

Anyway, I look forward to the real pics.

Hoping that my Spoilers might make it here tomorrow of Friday.

Sad to say, I haven't really been buying anything of late.
Found my go-to blades in the 7'OC Yellows, PSS, 7'OC Blacks and Rapiras - all bought in bulk (100-120, not monsta's "bulk, which is more like 1000-2000), so I should be set for blades for 2-3 years.
Bought some Proraso croap (tub) and cream (tube) and didn't like either much. Great menthol feel, but are dogs to lather. Gave the croap away to a friend and was going to PIF the cream too until I finished one of my tubs of Jermyn St cream and thought of emptying the Proraso tube into the tub. Have now got the knack of making a usable lather from it, though it's still NOWHERE near as easy to lather at the TOBS or GFT creams I've used previously.
The Proraso is nearly finished too, which means I'll be back onto the love of my life, TOBS Jermyn St cream soon :D

Considering a new brush too, the Frank Shaving Finest has served me well for the last 18months, and the Semmi 1305 hardly gets touched these days, so thinking of a new badger around the $80-$120 mark.

The last fot he big spenders has lashed out. I was in the commercial kitchen supplies place, buying a coffee grinder and stumbled onto a Emil Henry ramekin, 90mm diameter, $5.
On the left is my new bowl and the right is my old one, it is a wedgewood stoneware coffee cup I inherited from my grandmother.
IMG_3793.jpg
I could have gone plain white in a generic version for $1.20, but I like the colour of this one and it is thicker walled, stoneware.

The last fot he big spenders has lashed out. I was in the commercial kitchen supplies place, buying a coffee grinder and stumbled onto a Emil Henry ramekin, 90mm diameter, $5.
On the left is my new bowl and the right is my old one, it is a wedgewood stoneware coffee cup I inherited from my grandmother.
View attachment 240
I could have gone plain white in a generic version for $1.20, but I like the colour of this one and it is thicker walled, stoneware.

Stoneware bowl looks great- would like to get something like that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.