July 2015 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
True about our BST being good value. But I think a flea market or antique store prices ought to be relatively good value. At least a bit below market value.
Do you think that's a fair assumption?

True Flea Markets are few and far between but yes should be good buying opportunities but antique store prices are generally well up there as they KNOW what items are worth.

There's a lot of specifics that'd have to be ironed out before I could say it's a 'fair assumption' - but in the year 2015 I think that type of money for the quality of razor that a Slim Adjustable (and all the Gillette adjustables were) is quite fair - and I think in not long from now will look a good buy.

Lets face it from an engineering point of view in making a versatile, well rounded and customisable razor they're about the pinnacle of things without getting silly on an ATT set etc. Look at what new razors that same $$$ gets you and the vintage adjustables look even better.

Really? I didn't know they were rare or sought after!? What's so good about them?
I didn't say they were either rare or sought after - rather I said that their fair market price IMHO is $20, which is pretty entry level coin unless one was seriously considering Weishi's etc. :) I don't believe there's a massive amount specifically outstanding about them but they're a solid enough mild razor - pop that head on a decent handle and you've very similar geometry to the Feather Stainless - so it's noting to scoff at and fair value IMHO at $20 so it was a nice buy by @khun_diddy

Last edited:
Fair enough on all points. Just makes fantastic finds if you get it for a lower price I guess.

And our BST prices are very reasonable.

So after @filobiblic's recommendation I got a parcel locker organised.
3 hrs later and there's still nothing in it.
Quite disappointed and nothing to report.
Sorry mate but that definitely deserves both a :LOL: and a :ROFLMAO:. Send me your locker number and I'll put something in it.

Some days you just know will be good days -

plus a parcel from the UK which didn't have tracking :)

Bike tyre and tubes have arrived.

Unfortunately I have ordered two tyres, so one is on backorder. Was not required just yet anyway so no major issue.

Last edited:
Eww, RB Sellars!

??? The problem being?

At $20 I could not resist these while they still had a couple of pairs in my size!

MTR3080_BON_IMAGE2A.jpg

I think it was somebody here who recommended them to me in the first place. Sorry but cannot think of who it was.

Nice buy @eggbert, those ones on the left look like 1972 models I'm assuming they ended up pinging you the standard 23.70 euro postal charge? Guess it's not so bad if it covered the two items (though I dunno how you'll find the one on the left - I thought they'd be carbons but they look like SS's) but is always a bummer when the postage is more than the items.

Interested to hear your impressions on them.

Wish I had picked them up now. The Silver Platinums look awesome.

The Yellow/1972 ones are definitely carbon - just saw it on another thread over at YKW. Still not a bad buy if you can tolerate them and have your tetanus booster up to date! ;-)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Just received this from @Monsta_AU, thank you very much. Amazing smells so good, wishing I didn't shave yesterday so I had a reason to shave today as well. I might have to learn to grow facial hair like a real man.

Just do it again. I also only shave every second day, but sometimes you just have to throw caution to the (strong) winds and give it a go anyway.

Bloom it first - just enough warm-hot water on top to barely cover the soap while you have a shower. Pour that water out into a small bowl (shave bowl or ramekin from the kitchen) and then scrub your brush on top of the soap for 15 secs. Hot water on your face, then brush orbits planet face. Dip the brush in the bloom water to get more moisture into it - you will need it.

You will feel it 'loosen' and go slick which a slightly glossy look. That's where you want to be. Keep working it in and adding water till it's all like that. Then grab the razor and enjoy the magnificent glide. This ain't no shite from an aerosol can.

If you seriously like it then I would recommend that you grab the B&M Fougere Imperiale off @Mark1966 - go have a look at the National Gillette Museum first, then have a sniff. The scent may be a bit confronting but will mellow out after a few shaves. It's a much more old school scent but I don't mind it. Don't love it either but it's solid.

It's no longer going to be made anytime soon so as long as you get your free set of steak knives from our very own Tim Shaw then it's probably an okay deal.

@Osman - mate how are you going with yours now?

Last edited:
Pour that water out into a small bowl (shave bowl or ramekin from the kitchen) and then scrub your brush on top of the soap for 15 secs..

Not 15 minutes and 8 seconds, 15 minutes precisely!

I'm pretty sure he means seconds unless that's the way he's able to post in the finished items thread so frequently.

MONSTA EDIT: Yes seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do it again. I also only shave every second day, but sometimes you just have to throw caution to the (strong) winds and give it a go anyway.

Bloom it first - just enough warm-hot water on top to barely cover the soap while you have a shower. Pour that water out into a small bowl (shave bowl or ramekin from the kitchen) and then scrub your brush on top of the soap for 15 secs. Hot water on your face, then brush orbits planet face. Dip the brush in the bloom water to get more moisture into it - you will need it.

You will feel it 'loosen' and go slick which a slightly glossy look. That's where you want to be. Keep working it in and adding water till it's all like that. Then grab the razor and enjoy the magnificent glide. This ain't no shite from an aerosol can.

If you seriously like it then I would recommend that you grab the B&M Fougere Imperiale off @Mark1966 - go have a look at the National Gillette Museum first, then have a sniff. The scent may be a bit confronting but will mellow out after a few shaves. It's a much more old school scent but I don't mind it. Don't love it either but it's solid.

It's no longer going to be made anytime soon so as long as you get your free set of steak knives from our very own Tim Shaw then it's probably an okay deal.

@Osman - mate how are you going with yours now?
This is a wonderful soap and thanks for the tip. Gets used once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.