July 2015 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some days are good days -

Although I'm not sure why I would want a beard brush ...

As chances would have it I received two of the same Chinese synthetic shaving brushes as @Mark1966 received. Now don't get me wrong for the price they're at you can't expect much. HOWEVER, IMHO the vendor as very clearly pulled a bait and switchusing pictures of another completely different knotted brush in the listing.

That the colour/pattern of the received brush is completely different isn't the issue but the knot is FAR smaller, I'm talking quite meagre - so much so there's 1-2mm gap between the brush handle's edges and the knot on both of my brushes.

The original sales listing as a lot of pictures of their listed brush and so you can easily compare what's received against it - and its a no brainer that they've listed up a nicer quality brush and sent these out instead.

THAT I have an issue with and folks should be aware of it - what you will receive is not a bad brush and will almost certainly be STILL quite good value for the ~$3.70 price - but it'll have a much smaller knot in it than whats pictured. Just something worth being aware of. :)

Bugger. I got a few of them.
These pix tell the story better than words. Other synthetics pictured are the 'Plissitane', Muhle STF v2 (23mm knot size) and another Chinese cheapie that Filo or Nonick recommended to me.

IMG_0075 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/131212790@N03/
IMG_0077 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/131212790@N03/
IMG_0076 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/131212790@N03/

FWIW I've written politely to the seller explaining that I believe they've clearly used a significantly superior knotted brush in the listing and that I am unhappy with the items received. I'll post back what their response is.

Well thanks for the confirmation of my initial though @Nick the Knife!

I thought the same when I opened it but haven't had time to look more closely so figured I would do that tonight, you have saved me the trouble.

Will be interesting to test.

Just a few soaps...and -fair dinkum!- some lovely looking handles!
Nice haul mate.
Thanks. They arrived today. Soaps all smell great, I think initially the best smelling is a toss up between Soap Commander Gusto (Raspberry lemonade) or Tim's Soap Greek Peach but some of the others are not far behind.

Careful of the tolerances with those Maggards heads.
I've found them to be a bit upon the sloppy side, causing the blade to end up being misaligned and resulting in face shredding!
The anodised Titanium is a thing of beauty though.
Their handles appear to be ok too.
Have the very same 'wave' and a fat boy one.
Wave is on loan currently.
Would of loaned you the fat boy or wave upon it's return if you were curious, yet at the price they are, why not indulge ? ;)

Careful of the tolerances with those Maggards heads.
I've found them to be a bit upon the sloppy side, causing the blade to end up being misaligned and resulting in face shredding!
The anodised Titanium is a thing of beauty though.
Their handles appear to be ok too.
Have the very same 'wave' and a fat boy one.
Wave is on loan currently.
Would of loaned you the fat boy or wave upon it's return if you were curious, yet at the price they are, why not indulge ? ;)

Will keep that in mind about the razor. Two of those handles (colour ones) in the photo are from elite razor, acquired them on BST on another forum.

Broke my sabbatical. Have so many soaps, I'll need to add them to my will for distribution when I'm gone.
In 3-4 years of this hobby I think I've only finished 2 soaps.

Recent acquisitions:
Shaver Heaven Vetiver
Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout
B&M Fougere Imperiale
B&M Fougere Aromatique
Marvis toothpastes ++
Triumph & Disaster Gameface
Personna blue blades
Astra SP blades

Always feels good to receive some nice new stuff.

Broke my sabbatical.
Join the crowd... [emoji51]

Have so many soaps, I'll need to add them to my will for distribution when I'm gone.
In 3-4 years of this hobby I think I've only finished 2 soaps.
Who says anything about needing to finish a soap?!

That's a nice list of new soaps as well. Many happy shaves ahead for your furry Possum face. [emoji106]

On my trip to China I was very restrained and only bought one razor for novelty value, a Nanjie (NJ 997 III) TTO DE. At 10 RMB I think I overpaid it is so cheap and nasty looking I have no plans to shave with it. It came with a blade which I left behind due to catching a train and sharps not being allowed. **

Saw a few Gillette Blue blades for sale, but very little in the way of shaving stuff, some cartridge razors here and there.

** In hindsight I could have brought the blade and a knife and an M-16, the security is pretty lax at the train stations, I'm not even sure if the x-ray operator was awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.