Lather bowls and scuttles

Ginge

My next purchase will either be a bowl or scuttle the later bringing back memories of my dad and granddad as a kid and the idea of a hot lather does sound appealing
Does anybody use these items? And if so are,there any you would recommend,the only scuttle I have seen in Australia is HG Scuttle any help would be appreciated

@MrT iirc had a custom made up.

Yeah, I approached a Japanese pottery place in Artarmon, Sydney, to get them to make me one.

Cheers mate much appreciated
Do you use it all the time? And does it help make a better lather

I use a HG Pottery scuttle and I could not be happier.
It doesn't make a better lather, but certainly a more luxurious one.

No it doesn't. It's an accoutrement. For me it's waste of time, as it takes longer to make a lather, makes more than you need, more stuff to clean up, and you miss out on the beard softening of face lathering.

As per usual, ruthlessly to the point. Completely agree by the way. The whole scuttle/bowl thing is a throw back to the days when the only decent shave you got was when you had it done by a barber. Having your face lathered by a barber would be a bit uncomfortable, slightly weird and a bit too familiar, so they'd stick a hot towel on your face and follow that up with pre-prepared lather. All this can be achieved much more efficiently through loading a brush or using a stick and face lathering yourself. An unshaven face is the ideal substrate to get a lather going and you'll find that many of the "I can't get a lather going in my brand new bowl" complaints are due to the bowl being perfectly and beautifully smooth rather than rough to ensure easy aeration of the lather. However, as Drubbing has pointed out it's a good way to use up at least twice the amount of soap you need so, in the interest of getting more entries in our sad, dilapidated finished product thread, use a scuttle by all means.

As per usual, ruthlessly to the point. Completely agree by the way. The whole scuttle/bowl thing is a throw back to the days when the only decent shave you got was when you had it done by a barber. Having your face lathered by a barber would be a bit uncomfortable, slightly weird and a bit too familiar, so they'd stick a hot towel on your face and follow that up with pre-prepared lather. All this can be achieved much more efficiently through loading a brush or using a stick
of ARKO!!!!
and face lathering yourself. An unshaven face is the ideal substrate to get a lather going and you'll find that many of the "I can't get a lather going in my brand new bowl" complaints are due to the bowl being perfectly and beautifully smooth rather than rough to ensure easy aeration of the lather. However, as Drubbing has pointed out it's a good way to use up at least twice the amount of soap you need so, in the interest of getting more entries in our sad, dilapidated finished product thread, use a scuttle by all means.

Just added a little bit for the trendoids to froth at :)

Another in the non scuttle/mug usage list.
But then it doesn't get cold enough here to need any help keeping lather warm.

I have a face

It makes a fine lather

Even in winter my bathroom is warm

Problem solved.

Used my g20 tonight was fantastic. It's a big heavy thing so my process is to face lather and rest my brush in it to keep everything nice and toasty.

Cheers ty all
Great thing I have learnt so far everyone is different be it lathering,blades,razors and everything else,so looks like slowly going to have to get that collection of gear started.

Funny that the guys who shun a bowl or scuttle also spruik the use of the slime they scrape from between the grout of Turkish bath houses (a.k.a aroma rank knock out) as a great shave stick. @Ginge, mate, if you like the idea of a scuttle or bowl fill your boots.....or your face with the rich creamy lather. I, for one, would invite a nice warm lather in the sub-zero out-near-Canberra mornings that are around the corner.

P.S. @Mark1966 remember I've seem your face mate and so understand full well why the soap lathers so quick faced with your mug....

P.S. @Mark1966 remember I've seem your face mate and so understand full well why the soap lathers so quick faced with your mug....

Now, now mate - I was just encouraging

...simplifying

Oi! I am the former but most definitely not the latter and resent the scurrilous accusation that I might like sniffing urinal cakes in my spare time!
I demand a sample of something nice to ease my quivering nostril's indignation at your suggestion.