Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
The wonderful @eggbert sent me some samples of some Shaving Yeti Yeti Snot, and Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian.

First impressions -

Yeti Snot - Vicks Vaporub Drop

Glacial Obsidian - I LOVE the aniseed smell. Conversely my wife nearly gagged

I've used both once out of the sample containers. Hard to lather so am transferring to a decent container for the showdown.

I will also be throwing into the mix the old favourite - Proraso as a base for comparison.

The action will start in earnest tomorrow - so stay tuned ...

In the meantime - cast your vote above!

The wonderful @eggbert sent me some samples of some Shaving Yeti Yeti Snot, and Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian.

First impressions -

Yeti Snot - Vicks Vaporub Drop

Glacial Obsidian - I LOVE the aniseed smell. Conversely my wife nearly gagged

I've used both once out of the sample containers. Hard to lather so am transferring to a decent container for the showdown.

I will also be throwing into the mix the old favourite - Proraso as a base for comparison.

The action will start in earnest tomorrow - so stay tuned ...

In the meantime - cast your vote above!

@Mark1966 I can send you samples of both versions of Arctic Mango if you like for the competition :)

@Mark1966 I can send you samples of both versions of Arctic Mango if you like for the competition :)

Hmmm, that sounds very professional. I will have to be far more deliberate in what I do ...

B&M - Arctique
Jabonman
Hydra frozen or whatever it's called
SH - Peppermint plus
All I believe are worthy contenders.
SH one is more cooling that Proraso green imho.

I thought Yeti Snot was more like a pure Menthol flavour. If you want the Vaporub scent I would suggest SH's Eucalyptus and Lavender. A little menth in that and it would be the spitting image of Vicks.

@borked I didn't think the Peppermint Plus had any menthol, just peppermint oil?

I thought Yeti Snot was more like a pure Menthol flavour. If you want the Vaporub scent I would suggest SH's Eucalyptus and Lavender. A little menth in that and it would be the spitting image of Vicks.

@borked I didn't think the Peppermint Plus had any menthol, just peppermint oil?
Isn't Menthol is crystallised mint oil???

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (?)
Soap/Cream: Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Shaving Soap/Cream
Aftershave: Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Splash

Baseline established!

Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol is a standard - everybody should have it in their drawer. Reliable, easy to lather, a staple!

Menthol hit? Not much, pleasant tingling applying lather for the second pass and a little post the application of the splash - but subtle and not dominating in any way. I will get the occassional waft of the scent through the morning if I brush against my face.

Menthol Rating: :cool::cool:

Overall Rating: Buy it - everybody needs to have some

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Vintage distressed butterscotch Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Shaving Yeti - Yeti Snot
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

5:00 am shave pre-flight - just the time for a menthol hit!

The Yeti Snot certainly delivers that, from the tingling on application of the lather for the first pass, to the almost eye watering feeling on the second pass to the face slap with the cold water rinse post shave.

Menthol hit? Not quite eye watering but certainly noticeable and a leap above the Proraso.

Performance - Hmmm, the Sticky with a Lab Blue is not really the razor to stretch and test the performance of a soap, not a good choice. The usual mild, comforting shave.

Menthol Rating: :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Overall Rating: Certainly a worthy contender that menth heads should consider

The name and label is enough to turn me off but what's the scent like?

I don't think it has the eucalypt or camphor hits to describe it as Vick's. It's pretty much a pure menthol soap with very little in the scent department.

Bah! My Arctic mango arrived in Darwin 30 minutes after I touched down in Singapore!
ppxppXO.jpg

Just your luck hey :(
BTW, I'm still hoping to trade with you for #1
Will be tub for tub :)

At the moment it's looking like no one will be getting the soap. The household of the friends we normally stay with has come down with something babybert had not been immunised against yet so it will probably have to stay in Penang another 6 months.

At the moment it's looking like no one will be getting the soap. The household of the friends we normally stay with has come down with something babybert had not been immunised against yet so it will probably have to stay in Penang another 6 months.

WHAT - wow, that must be a major bummer :(

Hope babybert stays well

While that is crap for you, it gives me a chance to get my tub of soap to you :)
Hope BabyBert and family are ok, along with the usual hosts.