November 2016 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my Phoenix & Beau soaps from The English Shaving Company.

The Spitfire and Citra Royal smell great, I am still unsure about the Solaris but look forward to seeing if the scent changes when lathered.

Unfortunately it appears that all of the soaps are still from the batch of soaps that were under sized (The Citra Royale and Solaris each weigh about 135 grams with the lid off and the Spitfire is only marginally better at around 160 grams with the lid off (lid weighs 20 grams so I'm guessing that the tub itself must weigh at least 40-50 grams)). Seems that The English Shaving Company was either unaware or chose not to disclose this. @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau are you able to shed any light on this for me?

Hi Nick and thanks for the query.

Our jars (without lid) weigh 20g and so you have between 118 - 143g of soap respectively. We hand fill our oversized jars and aim to be within 10g of 115g by the time the soap is finished curing. Towards the end of a batch we sometimes have a surplus of soap and some jars, as is the case with your Spitfire, end up dramatically overweight. We'd rather have our customers enjoy more of our soap as opposed to wasting those final few grams.

In regards to your Citra Royale and Solaris, it'd difficult to attribute the scent you describe with out having the soap in front of me (and my nose). We want our customers to be a 100% satisfied with our products; if that isn't the case for youself please feel free to return yours for a full refund.

With kindest regards,

Kerry.

Hi Nick and thanks for the query.

Our jars (without lid) weigh 20g and so you have between 118 - 143g of soap respectively. We hand fill our oversized jars and aim to be within 10g of 115g by the time the soap is finished curing. Towards the end of a batch we sometimes have a surplus of soap and some jars, as is the case with your Spitfire, end up dramatically overweight. We'd rather have our customers enjoy more of our soap as opposed to wasting those final few grams.

In regards to your Citra Royale and Solaris, it'd difficult to attribute the scent you describe with out having the soap in front of me (and my nose). We want our customers to be a 100% satisfied with our products; if that isn't the case for youself please feel free to return yours for a full refund.

With kindest regards,

Kerry.
Thanks for your reply Kerry.

I thought you would have replied to my PM rather than on the thread but that is OK.

I apologise if I have made a mistake I just assumed that as the lid weighs 20 grams itself that the tub would weigh more. I am sure that this is something that you have looked in to at length as I understand that it was a problem in the past so happy to take your word for it. I guess that the large tub makes it look like there is a small amount of soap in it. I can appreciate however that a large tub makes it easier to lather the soap and also appreciate that (nothing worse than trying to load soap in a tiny container).

In regards to the scent of the soap the Citra Royale overall is very nice. The faint scent that I picked up from it and mentioned in my PM is potentially not an issue (most people do not know what we are talking about here but that is fine). I plan to leave the lid off of the container and see if that helps. I will do the same for the Solaris. I don't see the point in shipping it back to you for a refund but appreciate the offer. If I don't like it I am sure there is someone else around that will be keen to pick it up :).

I look forward to trying the soaps out. There are a lot of positive reviews and a lot of people liken the performance to a number of soaps that I really enjoy so I definitely hope the reviews are accurate.

-1906 Single Ring

Really didn't need but I'm a sucker for a pretty face that looks great all gussied up..

35Gqe4lieXEDqGshINO8XM3CLV0uEmFrEoyslweLIeEj6NEqLxfM54Himz4NwpoJNvCOGz-pi3O3F1tqunWQwzBx_KzeP8Wz4qeu7xiKDAx7_SOYngFcDG3r8OoTvbtcNHYNwT9_L0xArKRYCQYWZXr7inItU8t3NFAOVCu9bydKd64_vHu-s5wwP4sTWtyuUo80KCJ8ckfU_zBUE7lAFgDhZHEb-X5hW9mT5V9cFpGUouCPJf2GZIzrw0DIfnds3sQJRUwQhOg55e6rgePF-U8BgzTpWkFfNuWzlie5rol7RCNw4BMX-0XdaVCgAxqc0UvKvPS7CVblsMMFDNzbhzYhtZNnLF6nt1LKnWE2Bu9i0UoXr90w3Btt_0JZK2o_Kxdg3w-Ax8AhA7S1xp1H8LeRfv87DCMmsASKJ_eESC3l4-lsobRdVHW_lLzu4zKWBMNRydOIeh9Big562I3wv4owrsk5U2sAgT1BPK51GCsroPszOjdgtBYlRCU4c08Eok9goLit3OcKbKs4KgE8jx0bfVRCUUddLh7_H-GvsNKmIsv6k_CLZCQLg5GzT0CmrhJlXX2mD5IkDkejEsBgD_1UyIPgRVySD9pp-zn1dnUvypJ5=w904-h678-no

MPaWDwvYV0Z066MICsiQY1Tlt8eV1vJtCX2xrl7TwJrNazsSnoQNwPEXXiWQRaZubd06u9YwkKUjxLAiRx3j6UzPoMyZlPcI4d3Kjn1pHr3wayuGWEtIVRJbNdjWqfusJB1YSsOtnAOk0iAyxSrHHPflij1Pw_y-fXHaAwRvz0AVYdXpKMwF1e6MwPFZ3L83u-ILbA-JOyUx6CI7OGbPRWNzfAH9Ro226X0VrgM6Bk3ugtfnAq1FTH_7Nzdyvjd8KQ5koE6IICAwHnoFXLoLTYJftJJ1ggf9fVgKL1uM9_cGqlXB0wK9ASN8d0_U_XxouLLhVYRmmLY54Wj8lu-qU8Vgg9Nfk2taWwyOtk7dJeNMQ8TYoGqzLJDV2JyoS9f6OTYKG7lIg9YL4vQGb8hVbc5d-0s2siwfFm4AINmpVDNcGS-Wcwdmq4H5QRcZ1brcc8dc2I5kG1PvSWUDxkNgUgUxQQDCSgwY-srZEtuFvHnP_PXVaKy4984HmH26Wgmm4M4wUZhKfgExjtyuGKtulPrwewKVJvA3_G5uDXUbL0bJT5z9UsnMMi9dPWSD2p4BU12e0rmrNOKmlDPWJcjqV8dvciFTocKwPf-At5r_nrCeD87w=w1206-h678-no

-1906 Single Ring

Really didn't need but I'm a sucker for a pretty face that looks great all gussied up...

No pics showing for me :(

Australia Post doing its finest work -

Fortunately the inner box is unharmed thanks to careful packing by @Psmith -

The brush itself is just magnificent -

Not sure about the specs but it has some size and heft to it. Just lovely brush - can't wait till tomorrow morning now :)

Nice brushes mate!

On a similar note, I had the guy from Australia Post quite literally throw a box containing $450 worth of essential oils and absolutes (that were covered in FRAGILE tape) at the door this morning, if there had been glass ware in the box it would have been smashed to pieces. Fortunately nothing was broken - I had paid extra for the carriage service and you would think that in doing so some level of care would be taken.

Fortunately the inner box is unharmed thanks to careful packing by @Psmith -

The brush itself is just magnificent -

Not sure about the specs but it has some size and heft to it. Just lovely brush - can't wait till tomorrow morning now :)
Such a nice looking brush @Mark1966. Welcome to the rabbit hole.....

Nice brushes mate!

On a similar note, I had the guy from Australia Post quite literally throw a box containing $450 worth of essential oils and absolutes (that were covered in FRAGILE tape) at the door this morning, if there had been glass ware in the box it would have been smashed to pieces. Fortunately nothing was broken - I had paid extra for the carriage service and you would think that in doing so some level of care would be taken.
I fear that you may expect too much of Australia Post if you expect them to conduct their activities with any respect towards their customers @todras.

I fear that you may expect too much of Australia Post if you expect them to conduct their activities with any respect towards their customers

I know you are right, I have an order of glass beakers, measuring cylinders etc due for delivery this week and I'm really starting to think that I'm a bit of a bloody idiot for using AusPost to send them, even with their 'Fragile' Service.

Nice brushes mate!

From what I can gather, writing "fragile" is just asking for rough treatment. As an aside, a bicycle manufacture recently found that printing pictures of flat screen tv's on their box's lead to a significant drop is freight damages. The box doesn't say "Television", just had a picture of on on the side.

From what I can gather, writing "fragile" is just asking for rough treatment. As an aside, a bicycle manufacture recently found that printing pictures of flat screen tv's on their box's lead to a significant drop is freight damages. The box doesn't say "Television", just had a picture of on on the side.
I once had a guy that worked for a large national courier company tell me something similar. His words were along the lines of "the more fragile stickers are on the box the rougher the buys at the sorting facility treat it".

I once had a guy that worked for a large national courier company tell me something similar. His words were along the lines of "the more fragile stickers are on the box the rougher the buys at the sorting facility treat it".
Gotta love the "You can't tell me what to do" attitude some people have...

0eREflg.jpg

L&L & Chatillon Lux - ''TSM Fougère'' mail call via Maggards to complete the Balm/Splash/Soap Set. Fantastic scent off the puck, economy delivery at $6 from Magards took 10 days. Looking forward to giving this a run after my Mystic Waters sample week!

0eREflg.jpg

L&L & Chatillon Lux - ''TSM Fougère'' mail call via Maggards to complete the Balm/Splash/Soap Set. Fantastic scent off the puck, economy delivery at $6 from Magards took 10 days. Looking forward to giving this a run after my Mystic Waters sample week!
Was thinking of writing a review of my L&L in the coming days. I am very very impressed with this soap. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I jumped on the soap @Psmith as it was a Chantillon Lux collaboration initially, I did some searching over the weekend and the L&L soaps themselves seem to have a really good reputation. I will give it a run next Saturday I am thinking.

Gotta love the "You can't tell me what to do" attitude some people have...

Yeah, I mean the whole preposterous idea that courier companies/Aust post can offer a service for sale that promises extra care with sensitive items and that the consumer pays substantially more for the service, then due to using that service the employees deliberately treat those goods with contempt and rough handling is just bonkers.

A couple of boxes arrived from Maggards today.....

First and foremost a starter kit for my lovely lady (she already had the B&M Lavanda but it was time to upgrade the razor and get her a brush of her own).

OXNlcih.jpg

First DE shave is taking place as this is being posted so I think it is a success!

Secondly some additional soaps. Don;t worry they are not all for me. The OSP is for someone else.

3xeaI3F.jpg

As of now I am definitely unequivocally on a soap purchasing hiatus for quite some time. It will have to be something extremely special for me to be tempted. It is entirely possible that some P&B, LPL and Jabonman soaps will be making their way on to the BST in the next day or two.

A couple of boxes arrived from Maggards today.....

First and foremost a starter kit for my lovely lady (she already had the B&M Lavanda but it was time to upgrade the razor and get her a brush of her own).

OXNlcih.jpg

First DE shave is taking place as this is being posted so I think it is a success!

Secondly some additional soaps. Don;t worry they are not all for me. The OSP is for someone else.

3xeaI3F.jpg

As of now I am definitely unequivocally on a soap purchasing hiatus for quite some time. It will have to be something extremely special for me to be tempted. It is entirely possible that some P&B, LPL and Jabonman soaps will be making their way on to the BST in the next day or two.

Please let me sniff the Jabonman, before you make any rash decisions ;)

Thanks for your reply Kerry.

I thought you would have replied to my PM rather than on the thread but that is OK.

I apologise if I have made a mistake I just assumed that as the lid weighs 20 grams itself that the tub would weigh more. I am sure that this is something that you have looked in to at length as I understand that it was a problem in the past so happy to take your word for it. I guess that the large tub makes it look like there is a small amount of soap in it. I can appreciate however that a large tub makes it easier to lather the soap and also appreciate that (nothing worse than trying to load soap in a tiny container).

In regards to the scent of the soap the Citra Royale overall is very nice. The faint scent that I picked up from it and mentioned in my PM is potentially not an issue (most people do not know what we are talking about here but that is fine). I plan to leave the lid off of the container and see if that helps. I will do the same for the Solaris. I don't see the point in shipping it back to you for a refund but appreciate the offer. If I don't like it I am sure there is someone else around that will be keen to pick it up :).

I look forward to trying the soaps out. There are a lot of positive reviews and a lot of people liken the performance to a number of soaps that I really enjoy so I definitely hope the reviews are accurate.
I think i follow re scent and can say that once i lathered mine then left the lid off the scent changed dramatically. I purchased the solaris, spitfire and forget the other one (green) and am very happy with all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.