October 2014 Acquisitions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Not sure if I trespassed here but I thought I would get the ball rolling.

Speick soap stick, lotion and deodorant arrived today. Quite like the smell and super keen to try them on.

Also got a Muhle travel tube for either the Duke or Classic 2 when I head off up north in a couple of weeks.

Just got a couple of items arriving all within a few minutes of each other. Kent Shaving Soap (aka MWF, ~$12 delivered via Ebay), unpictured is a Lord LP.1822L razor (aka the L6 Premium - ~$14 delivered via Ebay) and finally a Muhle 091 K872 Silvertip brush - best $65 I've spent in a while (via a pricing stuff up at The Iconic - the order was fulfilled through their partner store, Pureman - who sell the same brush for $120).

IMG_0016.JPG

MWF is MWF - so nothing to say on it as I've used before and most folks know it. Very nice neutral/old school smelling hard soap thats a tad tricky to lather but generally very gentle on your skin due to the lanolin content.

The Lord LP.1822L was bought as a curio. My first reaction was UGH! Why did I waste the coin. But then I realised the handle is solid turned aluminium. The head is a Merkur copy, albeit with inferior plating/zamak casting quality on the cutting head base. The plating on the cutting head is as good as my Merkur 37c but the Zamak casting wasn't quite cleaned up as much as the Merkur so a few small marks show under it. Hate the logo/brandname on the head - no idea why any company does this. It's actually got reasonable balance and could be a decent rotation razor (as I got rid of my Merkur 34c many moons back but this is reminiscent of it, if only for head dynamics). As per the earlier link it has very good reviews over at YKW and regarded as a bargain newbie razor. Like I said curio for me, will palm off onto a relo or pal soon enough.

The Muhle is a stunner. Like i said a pricing stuff up (though I didn't shed much of a tear when I found that they were selling this for $200, when it's being sent/completed by Pureman who sell it for $40!!!!!).

The handle is a stunner - best looking one that I have BY FAR, really has some major heft to it as well (just on 100g overall) which I'm unaccustomed to with my other brushes. The knot is meant to be around 21-22mm. Unsure on the density as I've only had one Badger before (EJ in Finest). Loft is set at around 52mm so will be interested to see how it goes face lathering (a lot of folks prefer their silvertips set closer to 45mm). Definitely elevates my relatively nasty brush rotation, which previously was captained by a relatively ordinary Vie-Long. My brushes are the major weakness in my shaving arsenal. Have to keep working on that.

Half a kilo of menthol crystals.
Weather forecast, freezing with a wind chill factor beyond measurement...

How much does something like that cost, and could you just add it to creams, or is there some magic involved ?

Speick soap stick, lotion and deodorant arrived today. Quite like the smell and super keen to try them on.

I picked up a stick of the Speick last month ... it gave me a pretty good lather but something about it seemed harsh on my skin.
My skin was probably not properly healed from the previous shave. Will try it again after I come back from my trip.

No wonder the better half doesn't let me go shopping with her often. This lost puppy came home with me - though the photo doesn't do it justice. Couldn't help it, it looked so lonely on the shelf by itself - and I have a thing for strays - and I was amazed at how soft it felt to pat….softer than my current natural pets. Weird (assume STF2).
Can't wait to put it through its paces over the next couple of days. Probably come on holidays with me.

Will make a great travel brush @stillshunter !

Got that hankering to buy a brush out of your system now?

You really should stay in your little backwater and away from the Canberra Centre :)

How much does something like that cost, and could you just add it to creams, or is there some magic involved ?
You have to dissolve them in a carrier liquid/solvent first - there's a few things that work - alcohol is one of them. Doubtful you could just add to creams as likely it'd split/damage the original cream.

I've dissolved some in alcohol and added to an aftershave balm - VERY full on - like almost a physical jolt! Got a big laugh when I gave to my younger brother to use after a shitty shave. His eyes went to the size of small saucers.

Will make a great travel brush @stillshunter !
Definitely, which was my original intention but was put off by the look of them. But @Marlow was onto something with this synthetic business. I've not got it wet yet but just can't believe the balance achieved between backbone and softness. Honestly…!

Got that hankering to buy a brush out of your system now?
Nope. I want my vintage reknot (F2). But might see one of my Simpsons Bests pop out and into the BST.

You really should stay in your little backwater and away from the Canberra Centre :)
Yeah my therapist wouldn't have condoned my uncontrolled exposure to all them lights and colours and people and things, shiny things. hewhewhewhewhew….

Yeah my therapist wouldn't have condoned my uncontrolled exposure to all them lights and colours and people and things, shiny things. hewhewhewhewhew….

and that is just the ladies shopping fellas - you should see the actually shops!!!

don't people just use 444 as a menthol hit additive?

~$50 and from what's been said, best results are achieved via premixing it with an oil first.
I've enough to experiment considering it only takes 2-5% of total weight from what I've read.

don't people just use 444 as a menthol hit additive?
Not too sure how well that would work with a shower gel.
I plan to add it to shower gels during the summer months too.

Received one of the Virgina Sheng 'PUR Tech' synthetic brushes yesterday. FWIW put an offer of $USD12.50 on it, which was accepted. ~2 weeks by post. Well packed. Handle, whilst nasty plastic is nice in the handle and naturally 'grippable'. I don't doubt these are legit latest gen synthetics, is very obvious that they're exceptionally well tapered at tips. Uber soft with real spring/backbone as earlier reviewer here stated. Only minor gripe is I wish they'd had the 24mm knot version in stock, other reviewers felt this was needed over this ~22mm one.

Also received Shred's EJ89 - you'd never know that it wasn't brand new, must say I'd heard for yrs how good their finish/plating was and I was still surprised by it. Mild shaver or not its a very stunning bit of kit - so thanks again Shred.

Received one of the Virgina Sheng 'PUR Tech' synthetic brushes yesterday. FWIW put an offer of $USD12.50 on it, which was accepted. ~2 weeks by post. Well packed. Handle, whilst nasty plastic is nice in the handle and naturally 'grippable'. I don't doubt these are legit latest gen synthetics, is very obvious that they're exceptionally well tapered at tips. Uber soft with real spring/backbone as earlier reviewer here stated. Only minor gripe is I wish they'd had the 24mm knot version in stock, other reviewers felt this was needed over this ~22mm one.

Good work. I think that for the price it's a darn nice travel brush, and a good brush to add to the rotation. A nice way to dip into the synthetic market.... (Now On to the 'Marlow love affair Plisson brush' and Muhle STF!)

The larger knot would be nice...

Good work. I think that for the price it's a darn nice travel brush, and a good brush to add to the rotation. A nice way to dip into the synthetic market.... (Now On to the 'Marlow love affair Plisson brush' and Muhle STF!)

Yes, your review of it tipped me over the edge into getting it. Hard to go wrong at that price and unlike with cheapie boar/badger you know you're not going to get a shedder. I like the handle too - reminds me of the ones they use on Kent brushes.

Yes, your review of it tipped me over the edge into getting it. Hard to go wrong at that price and unlike with cheapie boar/badger you know you're not going to get a shedder. I like the handle too - reminds me of the ones they use on Kent brushes.
Bargain I reckon.

Yeah I'm feeling a little of that synthesised love - just took my Aesop for its first lather. Pretty darn impressed to be honest! You and @Marlow are definitely onto sumfink

Not too sure how well that would work with a shower gel.
I plan to add it to shower gels during the summer months too.

Just sayin'...

I just made my first (That I recall) order from menzbiz

GFT sampler, speick stick and ASB...went for a Proraso tube funnily enough and came back without it.

Lay some mentholated aftershaves on me boys. My Proraso splash is nearly a dead duck. has the proraso asb got a kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.