OPINION: Everyone's first razor should be a Gillette Slim.

thisISjoel

So I haunt r/wicked_edge every now and then, and every day there is a new "What starter kit/razor should I get?" thread (despite the absolute plethora of literature on every shaving forum ever, not mention countless videos on YouTube, endlessly debating the subtle, nuanced differences between the DE89 and the 34C). Invariably the most frequently suggested (and upvoted) product is the Maggard starter kit, and I think this is wrong. These razors might represent 'value' for money at $15~ for a complete razor, but the build quality/finish/durability is just not there with these razors.

The tolerances for blade gap and alignment are too wide, beginners do not need this to contend with while they are developing their technique. I strongly believe that tossing a coin for either an 89 or a 34C is the best option for the aspiring wet shaver who just absolutely can't make a decision. At lease you know you'll get a really well made razor, the blade will line up properly and just the overall quality will be better. With that said, this will still be a zinc alloy razor, with all the potential issues that entails.

Which brings me to my thread title; Everyone's first razor should be a slim. Grab a user grade one that's mechanically sound and get shaving. You get a wonderfully engineered razor with perfect blade alignment, every time. You get to try different blade gaps to see where your 'sweet spot' is, and to top it all off you get a razor that's already survived for decades and will probably outlive you!

For real, how is the mighty slim not the sole, universally recommended beginner razor? What am I missing here?

Adjustability can bring uncertainty about what is affecting a shave in a negative manner.
For instance, a beginner may "play" around with the settings because they are not getting the results everyone else gets when they first start out.
However the fact is that their technique is more likely the answer to their problems.

I think that a standard 2 or 3 piece razor definitely rules this problem out.

My first DE razor was the Rockwell 6S and was recommended by several others. Its not too expensive is great for a beginner and as they progress with their technique they can get a little more adventurous. Its stainless and will certainly last a life time. Money well spent in my books.
Cheers
Tony

Which brings me to my thread title; Everyone's first razor should be a slim. Grab a user grade one that's mechanically sound and get shaving. You get a wonderfully engineered razor with perfect blade alignment, every time. You get to try different blade gaps to see where your 'sweet spot' is, and to top it all off you get a razor that's already survived for decades and will probably outlive you!

For real, how is the mighty slim not the sole, universally recommended beginner razor? What am I missing here?

Except that, IMHO:

a) many beginners will shy away from using a 'dead man's razor'
b) there are some damaged ones out there and until you are a little more experienced you might not be able to tell the difference
c) you may be limited to eBay for purchasing - which can be good or bad.

I see your point in relation to a quality one - but that is itself the problem.

An EJ DE89 or Merkur 34C could be all one needs...

[nice work putting this out there though!]

I think Leisureguy mentions that the Rockwell is a great first razor. Excellent craftsmanship, decent price and adjustable so that you can find the blade gap for you. The benefit of it being adjustable, but not too easily so, is that you're less likely to stuff about with it mid shave (as some do).
The EJ89 is a great middle of the road razor. It is, however, not nearly aggressive enough for some beards. It was my first razor and no doubt my beginner technique sucked, but returning to it after getting great shaves with a slant and a fatboy I always struggled to get it as close as I'd like.

If it's an adjustable as a first razor, my money without any hesitation would be on the Merkur Progress.

Except that, IMHO:

a) many beginners will shy away from using a 'dead man's razor'
b) there are some damaged ones out there and until you are a little more experienced you might not be able to tell the difference
c) you may be limited to eBay for purchasing - which can be good or bad.

I see your point in relation to a quality one - but that is itself the problem.

An EJ DE89 or Merkur 34C could be all one needs...

[nice work putting this out there though!]

What... a dead man used all my vintage razors...?? What the F...?????:mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

I agree: as with all vintage razors, a beginner does not have the insight to know, if it is a dud or not...My vote would be EJ89 or Rockwell if you are prepared to spend the extra cash...

If you insist on an adjustable (like I did) - the Progress is a great choice as well

Stay away from Vintage, until you have some experience...

Too many variables with vintage razors. You don't know what to look for. A Merkur or similar is going to be a more reliable start. I don't think adjustability helps learners. Coming form carts or disposables, people are apt to muck with the settings after poor first efforts, rather than look to imporving technique first.

I started off with my Grandfathers Slim, still regularly use it too.
Yet I would recommend a decent quality fixed gap razor to begin with, as it takes away one variation and yes, temptation does and will inevitably pollute your learning curve.

Totally agree with the OP because that's pretty much what I did and I found it easy to fall in love with the hobby. I wholeheartedly recommend the slim - a perfect combination of easy of use, shave, price and reliability for the utter noob. I did move on to some more interesting razors but it was great to go back to the slim when I added my mouth and chin (the goatie went white!!) until I found my feet with this much trickier place to shave.

When I'm not playing with my New, I'm stuck on the Futur now but the site of my Slim in the den makes me smile each morning :)

What... a dead man used all my vintage razors...?? What the F...?????:mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:
Otherwise, providence.
Adds value of a background story/history to an otherwise inanimate object, hence increases its price ;)

1st razor options
- Mild OC helps with technique
- aluminum or lighter weight as maneuverable
- natural or wide shaving angle
- new for first razor
- EJ DE89, new Rockwell 6c, ATT Calypso

I would have said progress, and I wish I had gotten the progress about 4 years before I actually did!

But now I would recommend the rockwell 6s without any hesitation.

Fair bit of love for the 6S, and I agree it's (probably, I still haven't got one :() a great choice too. A bit bigger investment than a user grade slim, but should last just as long, with proper care.

You have to love the slim! Everyone should have one and a birth year one if you're lucky enough to be that old (ha ha). But I have had the 6s for a week now and, like many, think it is probably the perfect razor to begin with and continue with as you gain experience, very smooth and easy to use. But it is a bigger investment and not one I would have been prepared to make when I started out. The progress is a little cheaper but the scale starts at a more aggressive level and there may be more problems with alignment.
If someone were to ask me and they were prepared to go vintage I would suggest one of the Gillette Techs. A simple well made mild shaver that can be picked up very cheaply. Then move on to 6s, progress or whatever and, of course, get a slim to make you smile

you want shiny and new when you're...well...shiny and new.
I always recommend the EJ/Muhle89 or Merkur 34C.
Time enough, once they become bitter, twisted (realisiing they're not saving the money we said while drawing them in) for them to buy vintage, artisan, Kickstarter, adjustable, stainless steel, rhodium, gold....
they will, once hooked