OPINION: Everyone's first razor should be a Gillette Slim.

you want shiny and new when you're...well...shiny and new.
I always recommend the EJ/Muhle89 or Merkur 34C.
Time enough, once they become bitter, twisted (realisiing they're not saving the money we said while drawing them in) for them to buy vintage, artisan, Kickstarter, adjustable, stainless steel, rhodium, gold....
they will, once hooked

Good point. I bought the Mule 89 as a gift for my nephew, you can't really give a second-hand/vintage razor as a gift and he is relatively shiny and new. He seems to like it, at least that is what he tells me. Maybe he will stick with one razor and really save money!! At least that's what I told him.

Last edited:
i would say a 6s is perfect as a first razor. its a bit more expensive but they are built like a tank and the adjustable plates make it a razor that you can keep as a one and only if you so desire with no need to buy different models to explore aggressiveness. on top of that even ao 6 it is an incredibly smooth razor that is unlikely to bite with a small imperfection in technique. starting with a de89 most are going to want more aggression eventually and it will end up as decoration fairly quickly as you progress. vintage razors are nice but i think the average individual would prefer to find something at a reputable online shop they can buy new with a tub of soap and a brush to get started rather than trawling ebay waiting for a nice clean example to show up at a good price.

Except that, IMHO:

a) many beginners will shy away from using a 'dead man's razor'
b) there are some damaged ones out there and until you are a little more experienced you might not be able to tell the difference
c) you may be limited to eBay for purchasing - which can be good or bad.

I see your point in relation to a quality one - but that is itself the problem.

An EJ DE89 or Merkur 34C could be all one needs...

[nice work putting this out there though!]

+1

About the dead man's razor... I remember an auction on Ebay a few years ago, there was a Slim Twist, a Fatboy and a few NOS Schick disposable DE (nothing special huh?). All that stuff was from a morgue... Now I don't mind using dead men's razors but shaving with razors that shaved corpses? That's where I draw the line.

Note: I wouldn't have bet on them even for resell, even if nobody would have known but me.

Last edited:
Except that, IMHO:

a) many beginners will shy away from using a 'dead man's razor'
b) there are some damaged ones out there and until you are a little more experienced you might not be able to tell the difference
c) you may be limited to eBay for purchasing - which can be good or bad.

I see your point in relation to a quality one - but that is itself the problem.

An EJ DE89 or Merkur 34C could be all one needs...

[nice work putting this out there though!]

+1 on the "dead man's razor," hahaha! That would make a fantastic title for Tom Cruise's next thriller.

+1

About the dead man's razor... I remember an auction on Ebay a few years ago, there was a Slim Twist, a Fatboy and a few NOS Schick disposable DE (nothing special huh?). All that stuff was from a morgue... Now I don't mind using dead men's razors but shaving with razors that shaved corpses? That's where I draw the line.

Note: I wouldn't have bet on them even for resell, even if nobody would have known but me.

Now THAT is a bridge too far for me....

Meh. It's metal. I'd wash it well in the dishwasher and leave it soaking in alchohol over night... but I wouldn't mind. :)

My head says the same thing, my heart just leaps into my throat....

The slim is a great razor. I began with a Super Speed with a blue tip (mild) before moving on to the slim a couple years later and had two of them, one with a black handle, and rotated using them for about fifteen years until de blades became all but non-existent at local retail stores. All these razors were brand new at the time, and it's interesting that half a century later the models remain highly regarded razors. Anyway, I believe the Super Speed was preferable for a beginner just learning to shave with a de razor. It was lighter and mild, but, as always, YMMV. However, I suspect a young beginner is likely to prefer something new and shiny. I know I did.

There is a general agreement on the quality and shaveailty of the Slim. Can someone explain exactly what makes the Slim such a widely accepted razor.

There is a general agreement on the quality and shaveailty of the Slim. Can someone explain exactly what makes the Slim such a widely accepted razor.

I can't say from an engineering side or anything like that, but for me the Slim is just a really comfortable shaver. It fits nicely in my hand, the weight is spot on, the head size/shape works for me and I like being able to adjust the blade gap.

I'm gonna say this, the adjustables are overrated.

dont get me wrong they are good and I've owned 9-10 but really I think it's easier for a beginner to get good results with a tech.

I can't say from an engineering side or anything like that, but for me the Slim is just a really comfortable shaver. It fits nicely in my hand, the weight is spot on, the head size/shape works for me and I like being able to adjust the blade gap.

I agree! It's a bit like your best mate or a good wife! You can trust it not to carve you up...it mightn't be the flashest one around, but it looks after you without any shocks or surprises... it doesn't demand that you only use the best, most expensive blades... it's comfortable... it'll go on holidays with you......... I could go on for hours... but I suspect you have all gone already!

dont get me wrong they are good and I've owned 9-10 but really I think it's easier for a beginner to get good results with a tech.

I don't fully disagree with the tech for beginners idea, however, a slim on 1-2 is similarly mild and forgiving as a tech imo.

I have to disagree on the adjustables being overrated though. They shave nicely and you scale up or down the "aggressiveness" based on how much growth you have, blade etc. I think if I had to have one razor for the rest of my life it would be a slim* for that reason.

*I haven't tried any modern adjustables with the exception of the Chinese futur clone so it's entirely possible that there are better modern adjustables out there that might one day claim this mantle.

Firstly you have owned 9-10 adjustable razors. We'll assume a few double ups here as that is a lot (personally 11 but of multiples).
Secondly flippant statement to start the conversation flow which I've been drawn into ;)
There are a lot of razors that are overrated and very expensive ones are included in that, as a sub $50 can be a better shaver for some.
Again all users mileage varies due to experience, technique, face type and conditions.

IMHO the posters have strayed from the original question and that is what is great for a beginner and why.
Adjustables are great razors but technique should be gained first with a fixed configuration/setting so the user hones their skills.
This can be achieve with an adjustable as long as they stay on one setting. Most beginners would stray and adjust them hence the direction to suggest a three/two piece which can also be cheaper and new.
Silm or Black Beauties are affordable razors but not shiny and new though a beginner can better one's technique as long as they are disciplined.

Would say most users here on this forum have used a silm and/or black beauty and have an emotional attachment to them.
Because after hours of research/searching it was their first vintage razor/adjustable and they honed a reliable technique with one and as we know it is different to a fix configuration razor. So keeping them to use as a standard for comparing shaves or blades and/or when we need a milder shave we dial it back to '1'.

As someone else mentioned due to cost of the QShave (Futur copy) Adjustable and that you can get it engraved/personalised it could be highly recommended for a beginner for cost and flexibility.

Firstly you have owned 9-10 adjustable razors. We'll assume a few double ups here as that is a lot (personally 11 but of multiples).
Secondly flippant statement to start the conversation flow which I've been drawn into ;)
There are a lot of razors that are overrated and very expensive ones are included in that, as a sub $50 can be a better shaver for some.
Again all users mileage varies due to experience, technique, face type and conditions.

IMHO the posters have strayed from the original question and that is what is great for a beginner and why.
Adjustables are great razors but technique should be gained first with a fixed configuration/setting so the user hones their skills.
This can be achieve with an adjustable as long as they stay on one setting. Most beginners would stray and adjust them hence the direction to suggest a three/two piece which can also be cheaper and new.
Silm or Black Beauties are affordable razors but not shiny and new though a beginner can better one's technique as long as they are disciplined.

Would say most users here on this forum have used a silm and/or black beauty and have an emotional attachment to them.
Because after hours of research/searching it was their first vintage razor/adjustable and they honed a reliable technique with one and as we know it is different to a fix configuration razor. So keeping them to use as a standard for comparing shaves or blades and/or when we need a milder shave we dial it back to '1'.

As someone else mentioned due to cost of the QShave (Futur copy) Adjustable and that you can get it engraved/personalised it could be highly recommended for a beginner for cost and flexibility.
Slot of people have issues with the size of the heads on adjustables getting under the nose and many people report (I know as I'm one) that it's easier to get a clean even shave with the humble tech, additionally ball end techs can be had very cheaply, are plentiful in the market and due to being lighter are easier to find in good condition.
The adjustables I have owned are nothing rare, just assortments of fat boys, black beauties and one red dot (no toggles yet) but the adjustables based off my experiance doing repairs for friends it seems that the adjustables are most likely to be damaged and for a new user who didn't know what they are looking for it can be a problem

+1 If I had never used Slims and other adjustables, I would not be using my Futur clone at its top setting with Polsilvers as I now am! The Slim, in my opinion, is a wonderful gateway for new wet shavers, especially if they have first learned to handle milder three piece razors. I will certainly continue to use my Slim in rotation with the clone and several different three piece razors. I'm just not sure that I agree with the premise that all newbies should start out with an adjustable!

Slot of people have issues with the size of the heads on adjustables getting under the nose and many people report (I know as I'm one) that it's easier to get a clean even shave with the humble tech, additionally ball end techs can be had very cheaply, are plentiful in the market and due to being lighter are easier to find in good condition.
The adjustables I have owned are nothing rare, just assortments of fat boys, black beauties and one red dot (no toggles yet) but the adjustables based off my experiance doing repairs for friends it seems that the adjustables are most likely to be damaged and for a new user who didn't know what they are looking for it can be a problem

This is the best argument against a vintage adjustable for a first razor I think. For beginner buying from someone on here it shouldn't be much of an issue, but out in the wild it definitely could be.

This is the best argument against a vintage adjustable for a first razor I think. For beginner buying from someone on here it shouldn't be much of an issue, but out in the wild it definitely could be.
I try to PIF as many razors in good nick to newbies as I can but as I'm back down to single digits again I'm out of razors to give away lol if a newbie got a clean adjustable then it's no biggie but they seem to have had hard lives or get over priced.

Based on a few years wet shaving I would never recommend a DE for a new shaver. Gillette won the advertising battle but being told something is better doesn't mean it is. DE razors by design are often very subjective in head angle and because of this many [regardless of experience] suffer random and at times not so random irritation. Because of the flaky head design to accommodate a cheap mass produced high profit blade, the guess work with the cutting angle and the narrow tolerance for pressure against the skin, the DE is a razor I would not suggest. With an adjustable DE and a new shaver, every time a blade adjustment is made angle and pressure need to be compensated otherwise whiskers tend to scrapped off rather than cut. For someone with wet shaving experience this is second nature but not for a beginner.

My personal suggestion for anyone beginning the money saving wet shaving adventure is a Schick injector - any model from the "G" onwards. Good blade life, easy head angle and excellent results straight up.

Regardless - blood, irritation and pain will teach you all you need to know with any DE.