OPINION: Everyone's first razor should be a Gillette Slim.

Everyone's first razor should be a gem 1912 ;)

The slim is good, if I was using an adjustable TTO then that's my preferred (I used it way more than the fatboy or super, or really any TTO).
But for a starter kit on the cheap side and if prefering NIB, then the feather portable is a good, new, tech type razor.

While on the subject of Slims, can someone inform me where the date stamping is located and how do I interpret the year code. I think I’ve looked over every square mm of the head and cannot find what I think it should look like. Thanks.

While on the subject of Slims, can someone inform me where the date stamping is located and how do I interpret the year code. I think I’ve looked over every square mm of the head and cannot find what I think it should look like. Thanks.
You will find it on the underside of the head next to the handle. The letter denotes the year, H=1962, I=1963 etc. The number denotes the quarter of the year, 1 is the first quarter, 2 is the second etc.

Thank you, found it. Had to get a magnifying glass to see it but it is there when you know where to look.

Very interesting reading guys, thank you! I started out with a Merkur 33C, which I still use 3-4 days per week, albeit with a Rockwell SS handle (thanks for the PIF to my wife's boss!). Rest of the time I'm using a Pearl closed comb. I'm going to give the adjustable blade a go with a QShave/Mingshi Futur clone, very interested to see how it goes.

The one observation I would make is that whatever you do, you're probably better off sticking with just the one razor for starters to get some consistency in technique. Change one thing at a time , ie, soap, blade - identify what works for you, but research your razor, and decide what works for you, and give it time. I find the Merkur closed comb works really well for me - the small handle not so much, hence the rockwell.. What I do know now is how to get a great shave with this combo, and that has come from consistent use..