Paste & Cut Travelling Box #3 - Reviews and Comments

Thanks for another great review @alfredus !

Glad you got that Myrsol monkey off your back - hope some other questions were answered through the box too :)

Thanks for another great review @alfredus !

Glad you got that Myrsol monkey off your back - hope some other questions were answered through the box too :)

I definitely got some new insights and some of my former findings have been reconfirmed:
A - the GEM 1912 is not as aggressive as it looks!
B - I really do like injectors and can't wait for my kickstarter one to finally arrive - and I hope it will shave as nice as the L Type
C - A plastic razor can be fun
D - good lather is key and I really prefer real Tallow/Animal Fat soaps
E - Alcohol is a no no for my skin
F - @Anthony makes the best non-Animal Fat soap

I'm now in possession of the box after @alfredus kindly hand delivered it just moments ago. Very excited to say the least after having a quick peruse at the contents. So many things that i've been wanting to try and a few items i have been close to blindly purchasing in the past. Can't wait to see if they live up to their reputation. Thanks to @Mark1966 and any other contributors.
f3Ma11u.jpg

Last edited:
5Jik8hW.jpg

I chose the 'lucky dip' method for my first shave from the box because i didn't know where to begin. The winning items were "Myrsol Formula C" and "K Shave Cin Ap Snap."
I've never heard of the K Shave and a quick google search has not revealed much but the scent as the name suggests is very much apple and cinnamon. Very sweet, delicious lolly like at times but almost a bit sickly at other times. Bottom line, i didn't mind it. If it was food i would have eaten it. There was a bit of novelty about it which i enjoyed. Performance was fine. Easy to lather with quite a small amount of product. First pass i did puffy and thick and for the second did much wetter and slick. Both worked well.
The highlight was definitely the Myrsol. Splashed it on and instantly knew this is one product that does live up to its reputation. The scent, the face feel, everything. Nailed it! I'm gonna have to buy this ASAP. I knew this box was a bad idea hahahaha. One shave in and one item in the shopping trolley. Oh dear.
The other thing I learnt or rather reminded myself of was that the Feather/Feather combo really is hard to beat. Definitely in my top few combos
An all round very enjoyable shave for the first one from the box.

5Jik8hW.jpg

I chose the 'lucky dip' method for my first shave from the box because i didn't know where to begin. The winning items were "Myrsol Formula C" and "K Shave Cin Ap Snap."
I've never heard of the K Shave and a quick google search has not revealed much but the scent as the name suggests is very much apple and cinnamon. Very sweet, delicious lolly like at times but almost a bit sickly at other times. Bottom line, i didn't mind it. If it was food i would have eaten it. There was a bit of novelty about it which i enjoyed. Performance was fine. Easy to lather with quite a small amount of product. First pass i did puffy and thick and for the second did much wetter and slick. Both worked well.
The highlight was definitely the Myrsol. Splashed it on and instantly knew this is one product that does live up to its reputation. The scent, the face feel, everything. Nailed it! I'm gonna have to buy this ASAP. I knew this box was a bad idea hahahaha. One shave in and one item in the shopping trolley. Oh dear.
The other thing I learnt or rather reminded myself of was that the Feather/Feather combo really is hard to beat. Definitely in my top few combos
An all round very enjoyable shave for the first one from the box.

If you are looking the company is K Shave Worx, they have a facebook page and a etzy store. Tip for anyone wanting to buy their soap get in touch with the owners through their facebook page they are great to deal with.

dCtWMTu.jpg

Shave #2 from the box last night.
I've always wondered what the green tobacco scent is like but never tried it so this was my choice for the shave. Having a few Shaver Heaven products in my kit i knew the performance would be good. It was. The scent was surprising. Not at all what i was expecting but i liked it. Very fresh and pleasant but not sure how else to describe it. Definitely would buy. It provided adequate glide and cushioning for the ikon dlc standard which is one of the my most unforgiving razors and probably requires the lightest touch of any i use, especially with such a heavy handle. Wipes the whiskers away like no one's business though haha.

I wanted to keep the Myrsol ball rolling but there is so much in the box i decided to use Metilsol on one half of the face and Antesol on the other. Once again, they did not disappoint. Both scents are very different and enjoyable. Again there was a definite zing on application with the Metilsol zinging more. I enjoy this feeling though and have come to realize i prefer a drying and tightening of the skin compared to the greasy nature of oils or putting moisture in. The Metilsol took me back 25 years to my Grandparents house which was weird. I cant remember that scent anywhere else. The Antesol kinda reminded me of Arko soap mmmmmm haha. I liked them both but probably not as much as the Formula C.

So far so good and looking forward to the next one

Sounds like a fantastic shave - different aftershaves for different sides of the face (y)

YoN14QI.jpg

Tonight i decided to use a soap commander, having never tried one before. All the soap commander soaps present in the box have quite nice fragrances, almost getting a thumbs up from the Trouble and Strife who describes all my shaving gear as Imperial Leather.
When lathered "Purpose" smelt fresh and familiar. The closest i could get was that is a cross between lime and what i eventually realized was cola lollies. Random but definitely what it reminded me of. No idea what the scent is supposed to be.The soap worked well but i was a little disappointed with the lack of volume in the lather. It seemed quite thin even with a small amount of water. For the second and third (unnecessary victory lap) i added much more water and the performance was even better. Much slicker and more smooth but a lot thinner than soaps i've become accustomed to recently.

I tried a Ladas blade for the first time which i'm assuming was put in the box by @alfredus and i can now see why he rates them. The Progress is probably not the best razor to use a new blade for the first time but it seemed to dial in pretty much spot on. One pass would have been enough. Seemed very sharp but perfectly comfortable.

The Aesop lotion felt pretty good on application. Maybe a little tacky but possibly due to using too much. Not greasy at all. It had a nice earthy scent reminiscent of brewed kava. Seemed good for a lotion but i wouldn't buy it for the price. Definitely preferring aftershaves.

Another great review @boldsworth and very glad you like the Ladas (y)

goeiWda.jpg

Box shave #4 this morning.
I wasn't planning to try the Dr Jon's as the scent from the tin didn't do much for me but the recent resurrected thread inspired me to give it a go. Scent was not at all offensive but just didn't excite me. It didn't require much product on the brush to whip a good amount of thick lather but i did not add enough water for the first pass. I should have known as this often happens when i try a new soap. Much, much better performance was noticed after a generous amount of water added for the second pass. Love the appearance of the tin, etc and would be keen to try some of their other soaps.
I couldn't resist trying Agua Baslamica as i think it was the only Myrsol in the box yet to try. Once again a very nice feeling to splash on the face and a unique and enjoyable scent. In my personal rankings i would place it behind Formula C but in front of Antesol and Metilsol.
Might have to have daily shaves instead of my usual every second day in order to try as much as possible before sending the box on. So much fun!