Paste & Cut Travelling Box No. 2 - Reviews and Comments thread

Ahh sorry bud, thought for a second it was occams lime in the box but I remember it's original. Gotcha Speick -Thanks!
Nah I think there is Occams Limes in the PCTB2 - just saying my personal history with Limes to compare to the Occams is limited to GFT.

OK, so the Eagle landed last night.

I spent the wee hours sorting through what I already have tried and that saw a few things returned to the box, including the Myrsol Agua Balsamic, Edwin Jagger stuff, Proraso Red, Thayers Lavender, a bunch of blades…including some sneaky blades - Derby and Merkur…tsk, tsk…..

Next I sorted what I wasn't so keen to try - noting how much there is I had to be discerning. Well I didn't do that great a job of culling as the only things that went back were the Palmolive and the David Beckham Instinct (yuck!)

So out in the spare room is lined up a few things I am pretty darn excited to try. Noting the two-week (max.) timeframe, I will leave the samples reserved for my keeping to after this fortnight. Occams pre-shave soap samples, Simpsons Cream and Occams Lime.

Anyway, day one and I had me my first shave:
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Occams Original Cream
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Personna Blue
After-shave: Genuine Oglalla Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn

Read the little Occams flyer that came with the box. I thought if @Occams reckon that you only need a pea-sized amount to provide a rich lather then I'd see if it might help domesticate the feral pig I recently caught - damned obstinate 1305! So added a little to the knot, slapped it to my post-shower wet face and BAM! Lather, glorious rich lather. Mate there his no mistaking that @Occams knows how to concoct an effective soap. Consistency was great and, as promised, the soap is forgiving of water. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of the soap. The scent on the other hand was, well a non-event really. Be honest I'm looking forward to trying the Occams Lime post-box as I suspect we'll have performance and scent. Oh yeah!!!!

Next the Personna Blue. To orientate you on my expectations, my benchmark blade at the moment is the PermaSharp Super. I find them a notch above the IP Reds, so I admit to suspecting that the Personna Blue would resemble its Israeli cousin. Well I'm sure the Occams cushioning protection helped its cause but I must say I found the Blue a very impressive blade indeed. Very smooth and plenty sharp. No real bite, though when I really challenged it - ATG under nose - it did peep into a capillary. No dramas and that little nick stopped at the touch of cold water. I'll be taking a few of these blades before passing the box onto @Mark1966 to test these out a little more - as they just might be a contender for a bulk purchase.

Since it was such a fine shave I thought I'd risk not polishing off with my go-to Speick or Myrsol AB. Instead I thought I'd be a little game and cured the closing pores with a splash of Oglalla Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn. Slapped it on as I would any of my usuals and, oh boy, did it slap me back. This stuff's got quite the bite!!! The burn went on and on and on. I'd count about five minutes of a little-more-than-warmth to the face. But after the little scorching it feels quite nice. Funny thing is that I am not a fan of cloves, they burn my stomach and dominate any dish they seem to be added to. But this wasn't too offensive at all. I don't need more stuff in the bathroom and so I asked the missus to have a whiff - this should see it out the door quick smart. Smelt once, looked at me, smelt it again…a little deeper this time, closed eyes and says: "Mmmm that's really interesting", another smell, "I think I really like that". Oh boy!!!! Let's see if I wake with a blotchy red face that negates my looking for a little more of this. Not much left in the bottle, so I've tightened the lid and it's back in the box. Honestly if I fare OK come morning I might get me some of this….or the Captain's Choice. Hmmm….

So I'm not a night shaver ordinarily, but I'm glad I broke the routine. All three new items were gooduns. The Oglalla a big surprise, the Blues bear repeating and the Occams worked well but I reckon the Lime will be the better.

Last edited:
By "Personna Blue" you mean Personna Super blades in a blue wrapper with "For Medical Use" stamped on the blade?

See top left blade in picture.

According to the research I've found that there are three "Personna Blue" blades:

1. Personna Med preps
> marked: for hospital use

2. Personna Super Lab Blues
> may be blue or white wrappers; marked with "super"

3. Barber Supply Personnas
> have only arrows on them

The "Barbers" are to be avoided like A#k*.
Apparently the other two are the same blade but the medical one has an additional process done to it. But most people say they shave identically.

The Oglalla indeed was a big surprise for me too, considering it's a scent range I'm not too partial towards.
As for the warmth, I'd imagine it would be a great winter addition :)
I intend to purchase some if possible.

hey @stillshunter - nice review. No rush for you as you are LAST in the list. So you can take as long as you like.

Now the Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn (which is NOT Oglalla Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn) and indeed with all their products the key is to make sure that you shake well beforehand.

When I have not done that the sting quotient is very high. When I have it is still warming but quite agreeable. More than any other product I've tried this seems to 'separate' and needs to be shaken before use.

Not sure if you can get it in Australia - might be a reason to travel to the US to buy!

No rush for you as you are LAST in the list. So you can take as long as you like.
Now there's some dangerous words right there mate. They'll be nothing left for you but some Merkur and Derby blades. We'll stick to a fortnight - maybe aim to meet next Friday (21 Nov) to hand back and wash down some tales with ales.

Now the Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn (which is NOT Oglalla Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn) and indeed with all their products the key is to make sure that you shake well beforehand.

When I have not done that the sting quotient is very high. When I have it is still warming but quite agreeable. More than any other product I've tried this seems to 'separate' and needs to be shaken before use.
Appreciate the tips.
1. Not sure I can use it again as there's only a little left in the bottle.
2. I shall better attend to my spelling into the future. Jeez a week spent at the Seat of Learning at Oxford and……can I make a small request that you not wear the robes when we catch up for the box return please mate?

Not sure if you can get it in Australia - might be a reason to travel to the US to buy!
Still keen to try some Captains Choice too. Do you (or any voyeur reading this post) have experience between the two? Maybe one of each - though I also like the sounds of the Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails - OH YEAH!…and the Ogallala w/- Sandalwood. Travel to the US would be for work purposes only - as I'd not go there by my own free will. I feel a stranger in a strange land over there.

Great review Stills. Are you telling me I have to wait two weeks to get an occams limes scent review? Uh can you just sniff it and give us a trailer?

Great review Stills. Are you telling me I have to wait two weeks to get an occams limes scent review? Uh can you just sniff it and give us a trailer?
As a special request, and for you, sure why not. Give me a couple of days though - as tomorrow's an early start so I'll be a little rushed….and I already have a US of A shave planned…..but after that I'll see what I can do.

Awesome review, @stillshunter . It was a great read.

Since when did you get yourself a Semogue boar? You badass, you! Sorry if I missed the unveiling ceremony but I have been flogging myself on the running track lately and it must have slipped my attention.

Captains Choice is a very nice bay rum. One of the best in my opinion. A very classic and full bodied bay rum scent. There is a way to get your hands on CC without travelling to the USA. Go to Garry's Sample Shop http://sampleshop.blogspot.com.au/ . He has a small range of aftershaves in 1/4oz bottles that he will ship directly to Australia. Includes Captains Choice, the entire Floid and Pinaud range, and others. You can order up to 12 sample bottles. Postage is about $US11.50. It's not the most economical way to purchase aftershaves, but it will cure your curiosity without needing to purchase an airline ticket. I just ordered 8 sample bottles including Captains Choice North and his new Sandalwood. I've got the entire Ogallala range (purchased straight after my turn with the box) and they are very nice but Captain's is a little more special.

Glad you liked the Personna Med Preps. They are my go-to blade and work extremely well in every razor that I own. Even my trusted Astra's sometimes bum out in certain razors. As @filobiblic pointed out, they are strongly rumoured to be identical to the Lab Blues. The story is that Med Preps are put through additional sterilization treatments to meet hospital standards. These were purchased from Connaught in a bulk pack. I've ordered a 5-pack of Lab Blues from Garry's so that I can determine for myself if they are in fact the same blade.

Looking forward to you next installments.

P.S. What do you think of the Semogue?

Thanks @Lifes a Peach . I'm geared for some Captain Choice Bay Rum. Bit of a bummer as I have a work colleague coming to a conference here tomorrow from the US - I was too late and should have asked him to slip a bottle or two in his luggage. Damn!!! Otherwise, the Cat O' Nine Tails looks very interesting too.

So did you add the Personna Med Preps to the box? Wow, these were nice. They're up again tomorrow morning so we'll see how well they've kept that edge. Must say though that so far I am pretty darn impressed.

Finally the Smog 1305. Been documenting this in the SOTD but by way of background I bought this in my last G&C order. Such polarisation between Omega and Semogue, so I thought I'd see for myself. Must say I've enjoyed my Omega boars to date but didn't want to be a dyed-in-the-wool fan without having tried the other for myself. So far I'm not finding its performance to the level of the Omega. However, in its defence I have only lathered with it about five times and I hear they take some breaking in. I cannot comment on whether the same is the case with my Omegas - as all three that I have tried/owned have been used. So let's see after another few weeks of lathering if the 1305 can outdo the 31025 - similar numbers I know but so far the Omega Scarlatti is streets ahead - more full, more robust and yet more soft.

Great to hear from you BTW mate.

@stillshunter - I have plenty left so you can go your hardest on the Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn.

Unfortunately though 21 doesn't work for me - I'm away again. Does 28 November work?

OK so shave number two from the box. I thought this time we might make it an all US of A affair.

(red denotes items from PCTB2)
Soap/Cream: Col. Conk's Amber
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Personna Blue
After-shave: Pinaud's Clubman

Brush: Simpsons Classic 2

OK to get it off your collective chest from the get go, I realise the Simpson's Classic is not an American brush - but I don't have a yankee bit of fur so I went with the qualities I attribute to our allies….I went the fattest and thickest knot in my arsenal.

Be honest there is little I can say about today's shave. I think the most accurate descriptor would be "uneventful". Now that's not necessarily a bad thing - no blood, no irritation, no stubble - but also nothing inspirational or spectacular either.

First up the look and sounds of Col. Conks Amber. Whoa, I like it, looks like a chunk of Dr. Zog's Sex Wax, cooool. "Amber", I love the smell of Amber, so I unwrapped the puck with some relish. Love the transparent Pear's Soap look of it. Finally, liberated it from the Glad Wrap up to my nose to take in the lovely aroma of…..well, maybe I need to really sniff hard….no I mean HARDER. Nope, swishing air into the backend of my cranium and causing both a nose and an eye bleed really didn't give me much olfactory sensation. Ah, maybe it'll explode with ambery goodness when it's wet and worked over by the brush. Sorry folks, nothing really worth of recitation. Maybe something faint, but certainly more scent in a bar of Pears - disappointing to say the least as the colour and name sets you up for something more. The lather provided nice glide but not really stellar in the cushioning department. Not sure if this is common to glycerine-based soaps. If so, I've just shown my hand in planting my pegs firmly in the tallow camp. So all-in-all a reasonable soap that is safe and sound in the box and back to @Mark1966

Next the Pinaud's Clubman. Didn't mind the scent from the bottle too much. A shame that the scent turned to powder pretty quickly after it touched my skin. I think I like the smell in the bottle more than the dry-down. And 'dry' is what I'd also call the face feel, Don't get me wrong it wasn't lemon-like astringent but more, again, powdery dry. Not a sensation I like that much I've decided and felt I needed to balm up in its wake. I didn't though just to ensure I gave the AS a red-hot go. It didn't suddenly deliver a burst of moisture and my face remained a little parched all day…as I first found were my lips. Funny thing is on the drive into work I decided to administer some lip balm - I really needed it! - and I was so tempted, I mean REALLY tempted to paint my whole face - BraveHeart-style with that poor little stick. So Pinauds aint on my list either I'm afraid. I wonder if the Virgin Islands Bay Rum will fare any better.

So on the whole my little venture into US territories was a little underwhelming. Having said that their Personna Med Prep blades though are top shelf. Shave no. 2 with one and I think I have found a new firm favourite. Very smooth and certainly sharp enough.

So not all America ho-hum, a thumbs-up to their steel!

Last edited:
Maybe the lack of moisturization from the Dr. Zog's Sex Wax combined with the Pinaud's dried your face out a little? My face felt just dandy when I tried the Clubman. Give it another go after lathering up with a better soap.

Yeah, I was beginning to wonder what had happened to @Life's a Peach...
But now it's stone fruit season once again!

As a matter of fact, there's a nice peach tree growing in my backyard. Another month or two and I will be inundated with lovely white flesh peaches. My nick and the tree are just pure coincidence :)

As a matter of fact, there's a nice peach tree growing in my backyard. Another month or two and I will be inundated with lovely white flesh peaches. My nick and the tree are just pure coincidence :)
I LOVE white flesh peaches! So good.
Did I ever thank you for adding the Myrsol Agua Balsamica and Med Preps to the Travelling Box? They were both excellent! You've got me hooked on the Myrsol now...

Easy Filo...at least dinner and a show first, mate.

Myrsol wasn't one of my contributions. No way I would have parted with that bottle. A soul much kinder than mine shared that glorious nectar with you guys. The temptation to buy a bottle from G&C is killing me.

Yep, the Prep's are excellent. I'm rapt that you guys are taking a shining to them.

Myrsol wasn't one of my contributions. No way I would have parted with that bottle. A soul much kinder than mine shared that glorious nectar with you guys. The temptation to buy a bottle from G&C is killing me.
Do it! Great service from the folks at @Gifts&Care.com and even better then the usual Amigo (10%?) discount I think you can save 15% during their 5th birthday. I got me a bottle of Agua Balsamic and it and the Speick sit side-by-side proudly on my shelf and I am torn between which I like more - though I'm sensing a pattern, if it were a nasty shave then I look to the medicinal qualities of Speick, if it were a nice shave then splashing on the Myrsol just brings it all home for me….love that scent and feel.

BTW: appreciate the hint on the Clubman, might take it out of the box and try again. That Dr. Zogs though is staying put!

Can't get rid of the Col Conk :(

Does ANYBODY like it?