Results so far

Ginge

Ok I'm just coming to the end of my 3rd week using a DE razor and these are the results so far

Shaving Creams
1 Art of shaving lemon : over priced and under done seemed a lot thinner type of cream lather was ok but the scent was lacking also I needed more cream than others I have tried.
2 Body shop Mecca Root : a great lather nice feel to it and not a great deal needed to get a great lather but the scent was not for me
3 Razorock XXX: great lather and scent is good this is my go to atm till I try some more

Blades
Derby Extra: after first shave I binned it it pulled and felt not sharp at all,may try again at a later date
Astra SP: nice and sharp seems to get an extra shave per blade than Personna Reds but not as smooth
Personna Reds: sharp and smooth looking at being the blade I am leaning too

I'm at the stage where after shaving and using an Alum block there is little or no discomfort I'm still mainly just doing a 2 pass shave with just some touch ups around the jaw line.
I have tried a 3 pass shave had a little irritation on the upper lip and lower neck but nothing too bad was fine after about 20 minutes,so it's something to work on I would say it's technique more than anything else.

I'm using GFT skin food Sandlewood samples from mensbiz which I have found quiet good and a lotion I make after to finish it off
All in all feeling quite happy with my progress
I have noticed quite a few members use Thayers witch hazel after shaving I may give that a try
Do you use it instead of the skin food? Also any recommendations welcomed.
When I get back from sea I'll have a few more creams and blades to try before I get to my go to choices
So I will still have plenty of questions to ask over the coming months

Okay, I will try and provide some guidance and ideas - but remember it's your journey and something that works for someone else may not work for you.

Creams:
  1. Never tried it, but you are not the first person that has said they felt it was under-done. If you like the lemon, I hate to say it just there is only ARKO! to sate your thirst for citrus. It will be like picking up a urinal cake and rubbing it all over your face. Lather is pretty decent too - tallow based and as long as you work it up it gives a very good result.
  2. I haven't gone for the TBS Macca Root, although plenty have sung the praises of the lather. For me, scent is of a lesser concern as long as it doesn't smell bad - as long as it is pleasant then it is all good as far as I am concerned.
  3. RazoRock - plenty of people like it and I think it is very decent.
There's plenty of things to try, but I suggest sticking to one thing for a while and work through a product. There is quite some satisfaction in finishing a cream or soap. You will notice that many of us talk about soaps by particular people. While they are the flavour of the month right now, the products are very good quality and there will be opportunity for you to get some over time (cough Latha cough).

Blades: Only thing I have to say is that the Personna Reds don't shave close, Astras are fine modern blades but nothing special, and Derby are a good blade but I found it difficult starting with them. Once you get your technique sorted, they do a good job. I was actually surprised when I went back to them for a couple of blades. Mind you now I tend to use very sharp, long lasting vintage blades or some of the better moderns. PermaSharp Supers, Silver Blues, Dark Platinums, these are the sorts of blades you will want to move up to soon enough. I am sure you will get a chance to try them in time (cough Latha cough).

Otherwise, just keep experimenting and keep an eye on the forums here. I find that Alum tends to help tone my skin (and slow the oilyness) if I don't rinse it off - I just pat my face dry with a towel. Some of they guys here are now eschewing post shave 'product' like Skin food for just a couple of drops or Argan or Olive oil.

Just keep reading the forums, you will learn all sorts of things. I am not the oracle of all knowledge at all - there is plenty to be learnt and found by the guys here. I had never heard of half this stuff before it was brought to my attention in a post. Read up and take inspiration from things. If you find something that works for you, post about it.

As Monsta says, probably too early to chop and change stuff. The gear isn't going to radically change any results while your technique is still in its early stages. Find a blade and cream you get on with, and stick with it for a few weeks. Opinions on blades often change when technique gets better.

With blades, opinions are like arseholes - we've all got one. But Astra are decent blades. Derbys tend to be rough and blunt, and Reds smooth but not real sharp. I don't believe you need to go to vintage exotics to find great blades. Perma Sharps are a good example. But sort the technique first, then refine with gear.

Keep up the good work mate.

It's definitely worth giving an alcohol-based aftershave a go too.
Yeah I have quite a few alcohol aftershaves depending on my mood or time of year but my go to every day one is Draka Noir been using it since I got a sample in 1990 and it's one of the few that my wife likes as well
Cheers

Thayers is pretty expensive here.

Go to the Chemist and buy a bottle of Dickinson's Witch hazel. It will be near the other facial skin toners. It's less than $10 a bottle, and works GREAT. The smell is a little off-putting, but you get used to it, and it dissipates really quickly anyway. Use it after your cold water splash and before your aftershave or moisturizer (it's an alternative to alum). I think it does a great job.

@Monsta_AU is providing invaluable advise, stick with one brush, razor, blade and soap for the first month is the advise I afford to those interested in trying or just starting out.
It will give you a baseline to compare to in the future.

And if you didn't get it the first time, everyone knows that when something comes from me, there's always extras in the package. So get the Latha when it is made available in the For Sale section. It will be worth your time and money.

^^^^ what they said!

Seriously - good advice

Yeah I have quite a few alcohol aftershaves depending on my mood or time of year but my go to every day one is Draka Noir been using it since I got a sample in 1990 and it's one of the few that my wife likes as well
Cheers
You'll find - in time - that your favourite scents (like Draka Noir) can be found in shaving soaps and balms.

Really, what everyone has said above is the best advice.

It sounds like Personna Reds (or Israeli Personnas) are your current favourite. Stick with them for a while as you develop technique. But don't go crazy buying a whole heap. You can always post a WTB (Want to Buy) on the forums and buy them cheaper from a bloke here than online.

There is a way to purchase Thayers Witch Hazel inexpensively.

Go to iherb.com -> Purchase 2 bottles -> Australia Post delivery cost $US4

Works out to around $AU12.50 per bottle and they smell great.

Thayers is the one constant in my daily shave. 2 bottles will last a long time.

*iherb.com is a U.S. based online retailer. Yes, they use Australia Post for Australian deliveries. $US4 flat fee or free for orders over $40.

Use discount code RFG857 for a nice discount on initial order from iherb.com too.
Is that code your own personal code that also returns you a percentage of the purchase folks make or an universal code ?

@Ginge if you make it to our next meet-up I would be more than happy to hook you up with a couple of things. I had one of the coolest weeks in my life and would like to give something back to the universe...

There is a way to purchase Thayers Witch Hazel inexpensively.

Go to iherb.com -> Purchase 2 bottles -> Australia Post delivery cost $US4

Works out to around $AU12.50 per bottle and they smell great.

Thayers is the one constant in my daily shave. 2 bottles will last a long time.

*iherb.com is a U.S. based online retailer. Yes, they use Australia Post for Australian deliveries. $US4 flat fee or free for orders over $40.

Great heads-up thanks mate.

Just wondering if there's any major difference between the

Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Toner and the Thayers Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner?

Is it just the scent? If so, which do folks recommend?....or is this precisely why you buy two - one of each? ;)

Great heads-up thanks mate.

Just wondering if there's any major difference between the

Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Toner and the Thayers Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner?

Is it just the scent? If so, which do folks recommend?....or is this precisely why you buy two - one of each? ;)

Original does not contain aloe vera. Go with the one that does, unless you are sensitive to aloe.

Buy 2 or more to help spread the cost of the postage since it's a flat $4.

There a great site just put a few of the boys on board the ship onto it some nice savings

If I'm on leave I hook up for most things Alfredus as long as a pubs close