Status
Not open for further replies.
20151228_SOTDSGraphNov_zpsp8hlzi49.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: RudyVey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Draco Noir Neroli & Bergamot Shave Oil (Oil made and kindly donated by @Draco Noir)​

Another stellar shave, brush is so fast on producing great lather, it's almost too easy and half the tips are hooked already...

Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper. Now that sounds like my kind of scent profile!

Mon 28th Dec ... the it's nice to be back home shave

B&M Lavanille
Sem 1800
Merkur 39c w/ Derby (0)
Proraso AS Balm Aloe

Not one to give up on something, I decided to try a really smooth blade with the 39c today as the feather bit me a little last time. I also really focused on getting the angle right, as I believe it's where I'm getting it wrong with this razor. The result after 2 passes (wtg/xtg)? DFS with no nicks or irritation!

So what did I do differently? Well I increased the angle that I held the handle significantly. On the head of the 37/39 razors, there's a section that is like valley/curve and I basically lined that up with my skin. Increasing the angle did reduce the efficiency a little, but it meant that I could have done a 3rd pass for a bbs shave if I had wanted without risk.

An enjoyable shave for me too (much!) earlier today.

Brush: Shavemac #177
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Razor: Kirby Beard (wavy)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Blue
After-shave Balm: The Stray Whisker ASB

Mon 28th Dec ... the it's nice to be back home shave

Not one to give up on something, I decided to try a really smooth blade with the 39c today as the feather bit me a little last time. I also really focused on getting the angle right, as I believe it's where I'm getting it wrong with this razor. The result after 2 passes (wtg/xtg)? DFS with no nicks or irritation!

Hey @Korbz - your experience sounds similar to mine in the earlier days. The Feather is a great blade but not a forgivable beast if your technique is not spot on. Combined with a heavy 39C makes for quite the challenge. Switching to the Derby was a good move and in time you'll be good to go with a Feather again. I'd recommend you go with something sharper than a Derby like Personna Lab Blue or Polsilver. Come back to the Feather in a few months.

Brush: Boots Re Knot
Razor: EJ 87
Blade: Rapira
Soap: C&E Indian Sandalwood
A/S: Stray Whisker Balm

Much like @Mark1966 I too was the recipient of a C&E soap from a well meaning sibling. And like him I thought this stuff would be an absolute lemon, the last C&E soap I tried was the West Indian Limes, and to say it was crap is being kind. But I'm always happy to try these things and was very surprised, easy to load, slick, thick and protective lather with ease. Very similar to my first bowl of C&E Sandalwood purchased 5 years ago. And a great scent too.

Much like @Mark1966 I too was the recipient of a C&E soap from a well meaning sibling. And like him I thought this stuff would be an absolute lemon, the last C&E soap I tried was the West Indian Limes, and to say it was crap is being kind. But I'm always happy to try these things and was very surprised, easy to load, slick, thick and protective lather with ease. Very similar to my first bowl of C&E Sandalwood purchased 5 years ago. And a great scent too.

Hmmm, now a dilemma - should I keep it and use it? Given the lack of love in the B/S/T for it maybe I will have to keep it anyway.

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (1)
Post-shave: Myrsol Antesol

Interesting SOTD for me. Gone back to the D R Harris which I'd written off previously. Loading the brush differently now and actually quite a decent lather - maybe the C&E does deserve another try!

Found some vintage English Wilkies sent to me by @Pjotr some time ago now and slipped one in - sensational feel while shaving, smooth doesn't come close to describing the feel, seemed more like the caress of an angel as I moved the Slim around the face.

I knew that the Antesol would give my face a bit of a slap (but it is worth it!) but this morning - wow, it packed a punch. On looking in the mirror I noticed a number of micro-nicks which I never felt while shaving - seems that the angel's nails must have scratched me!

I will be interested to see what happens tomorrow.

633340627e00b4ca5ae1c2b12406e78f.jpg

Proraso Red Pre
Shavemac LE
Phoenix and Beau Tallow
Gillette #59
Gillette Green (2)
PAA Chocolate Bourbon AS

Still not getting on with this bulb shaped knot. The PAA splash is not a favourite of my wifes. Says it smells like playdoh. Not a big fan either. Glad it was a small sample given to me.

SOTD Tuesday, December 29.

Cold water shave
Pre-shave: bloom water
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

The TMBR was brought out from the back of the drawer this morning. I must be nearing "balcony time" as I just didn't get the buzz I normally get when I use soap. I could only dwell upon how it under-performed compared to all the Shaver Heaven soaps in my rotation. That was until my wife walked past me 30 minutes later and remarked on how good I smelled this morning. NOW I remember why Johnny Good Sir TMBR is so good; not it's performance but that scent!!!!
The Dovo was great this morning. Been enjoing my straights so much over the last month or so and the closeness of the shaves that the kami is not getting any love.

........Found some vintage English Wilkies sent to me by @Pjotr some time ago now and slipped one in - sensational feel while shaving, smooth doesn't come close to describing the feel, seemed more like the caress of an angel as I moved the Slim around the face.

I knew that the Antesol would give my face a bit of a slap (but it is worth it!) but this morning - wow, it packed a punch. On looking in the mirror I noticed a number of micro-nicks which I never felt while shaving - seems that the angel's nails must have scratched me!

I will be interested to see what happens tomorrow.

They're damned sharp. Because of that the resulting smoothness (or lack of resistance) lulls you in to a false sense of security. Had the same thing happen to me on a third shave with one of those. I've tried half a dozen or so vintage Wilkies and that particular one is the best. It's really unfortunate that Wilkinson Sword didn't keep records, or none that have survived, of which blade was produced when or where (they had a few factories in England at one stage) and instead just endlessly changed the packaging around whatever blade they happened to produce at the time.

20151227_081043 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet
Post Shave: Stray Whisker Balm and Captains Choice Bay Rum
Two pass shave with a clean up. This cream has a beautiful scent but not in my top ten performing soaps. Provides for an adequate shave. The stray whisker balm is excellent as is the Captains Choice AS.

I am more interested in the packet/branding. They look like the La Brunes..... only the one I just checked had a code VK instead of IO above.

All the Vintage Wilkies made in England had those wrappers.

Last edited:
I am more interested in the packet/branding. They look like the La Brunes.....

All the Vintage Wilkies made in England had those wrappers.

Yeah - that is all I have - received as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.