Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Rooney shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Vintage L 1 Gillette 'Slim" adjustable (5)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (6)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

That's an interesting list @SpeedyPC . I haven't got most of those so it's hard for me to comment but I would question the placement of the Merkur 39C. I thought it would be closer to the Fatip Piccolo than you have it. I would've guessed it would've gone in between the Karve C & D plates somewhere?

Hmmm I thought the same thing.

I would put aggression of the 39C higher than Karve D plate, even though the Karve is more efficient. The 39C always felt too rough and the aggression was out of balance with efficiency.

DIY lemon myrtle oil
KarveD w/Polsilver
Yaqi silvertip
Stirling - Frozen Tundra
DIY lemon myrtle oil/Anherb balm

Very refreshing soap for a hot summers morning!!
The menthol is just below the threshold that causes me skin irritation and I'm grateful as it's a hot morning today!!

My lemon myrtle blend is just wonderful! I use 3 drops as pre shave and 2 drops post shave. It gives a very nice tingle after the skin, like a gentle astringent. Then after a shower, I use the Anherb balm.

20190629-100147-1.jpg

ozdYiVe.jpg

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Strawberry Amber
Lather: Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Perfect shave with a perfect setup!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend (y)

Keep your eye on the forum BST, there are loads of them out there :)
Cheers. The BST's have been big help in picking up some Sterling, Soap Commander and APR. Will keep an eye out for the Shaver Heaven gear. Some has come up but only with soaps I already have or ones I don't really want.
Thanks again.

YMMV - 39C with a Feather hits my sweet spot every Monday on 3 days growth

3HuwaZ9b.jpg

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the 39c is not efficient. It's just not balanced well with comfort for my skin. I found it quite aggressive and yet, it couldn't take down daily stubble as well as my Karve with D plate does...Whilst being buttery smooth.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Vintage L 1 Gillette 'Slim" adjustable (5)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (7)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

It is STILL going ...

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the 39c is not efficient. It's just not balanced well with comfort for my skin. I found it quite aggressive and yet, it couldn't take down daily stubble as well as my Karve with D plate does...Whilst being buttery smooth.

Makes me want to try the Karve because it receives such good reviews and must be one of the most popular razors on SOTD. After my experience with the Rockwell 6S I wonder if it's for me.

Date:- 30 June 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wickham 1912 ~ English Rose
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Brass 'B' / Polsilver Super Iridium #2
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tabac

Makes me want to try the Karve because it receives such good reviews and must be one of the most popular razors on SOTD. After my experience with the Rockwell 6S I wonder if it's for me.

I use Rockwell 6S/6C on the 6 plate. I love the Rockwell due to its fairly unique cutting angle.

The Karve D plate is slightly more efficient than the 6 plate.
The Karve is by far the smoothest razor I've ever used (out of the 60+ I've used).

If the Rockwell R6 wasn't efficient enough, the Karve on E+ would be a good choice.

The Progress is another of my favorites again, due to the cutting angle.
But it comes in at third after Karve and Rockwell.

Thanks @nav1 , that gives it some perspective including Progress in the comparison. I don’t have a lot of experience with other razors to call upon but favorites in my den are Neck’n’neck between 39c and Vintage Gillette Slim. The progress is right up there as well. Although I am satisfied with one pass of the 39c or Gillette whereas the Progress is 2 passes minimum. I have not really compared against each other and go by daily satisfaction. It may be my facial features or shaving style that did not match the Rockwell. I know it get’s a lot of love on the forums so I must be in the minority on this one. Definitely noticed the difference in @astinus4 shadow when he started using the Rockwell 6 c/s. I just didn’t find it agile enough. Even though all DE razors are a solid piece of metal and don’t contour to the face I wonder if these solid and slightly chunkier razors are more suited to a rounder face?? There are a lot of internet threads on hairstyles for face shape but could not find anything on best razors for face shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.