ck one summer edt

10zlbnLh.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Barrister's Reserve Fern
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: Rocnel Elite
Blade: Feather (3)
AS: Pb TOL
Finally a shave this week with a 'wow' factor. The credit goes to @Errol as his reviews on the Rocnel Elite razors had me thinking 'no Errol, I really don't want to have to buy another Rocnel Elite to get the efficiency level I want'. I have mentioned previously I find my 2017 Rocnel Elite too mild for me. I do enjoy using it occasionally when I feel like a mild shave as it is a premium grade razor, lovely to use, just a little too mild, and I'm loath to sell it as my family gifted it to me.

Solution - I had seen posts previously where others had shimmed blades, and blade gap obviously has a fair bit to do with levels of efficiency. I had discounted the idea thinking that if a razor couldn't perform on its own merits then I wouldn't bother with it. In this instance I have an expensive razor that I'm unwilling to part with and I don't use that often so I thought I would try shimming the blade to increase blade gap.

I cut approx. 1.5mm off each edge of a feather blade then put the blade on my 1K stone to tame the nasty edge the Wiss snips had left behind. I then placed a full Feather blade onto the pins in the cap and followed up with the cut down blade and assembled the razor. Then for the shave test.

The difference was noticeable from the first stroke. The level of efficiency had increased from a Slim on setting 3 to setting 5 or 6. The level of smoothness I am used to with the Elite was not affected but the 'Rocnel Rhapsody' as @Errol put it, was amplified. I could've finished with a CCS after pass No:1 but an easy BBS was within reach and I was enjoying myself.

Mission success. I think the Elite will definitely see more action now.:)

E05VaPF_d.jpg

Maggard SHD + WWB
Merkur 34c
Feather
B&M - Vespers
A&E - Asian Plum Splash + Nivea Balm

As a Norwegian living in Aus during Christmas this is great. Best suitable for colder weather or just crank up the air con.

Why the plum splash? Well, after school you would go to your friends house and get smashed on their parents’ home made plum wine.

10zlbnLh.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Barrister's Reserve Fern
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: Rocnel Elite
Blade: Feather (3)
AS: Pb TOL
Finally a shave this week with a 'wow' factor. The credit goes to @Errol as his reviews on the Rocnel Elite razors had me thinking 'no Errol, I really don't want to have to buy another Rocnel Elite to get the efficiency level I want'. I have mentioned previously I find my 2017 Rocnel Elite too mild for me. I do enjoy using it occasionally when I feel like a mild shave as it is a premium grade razor, lovely to use, just a little too mild, and I'm loath to sell it as my family gifted it to me.

Solution - I had seen posts previously where others had shimmed blades, and blade gap obviously has a fair bit to do with levels of efficiency. I had discounted the idea thinking that if a razor couldn't perform on its own merits then I wouldn't bother with it. In this instance I have an expensive razor that I'm unwilling to part with and I don't use that often so I thought I would try shimming the blade to increase blade gap.

I cut approx. 1.5mm off each edge of a feather blade then put the blade on my 1K stone to tame the nasty edge the Wiss snips had left behind. I then placed a full Feather blade onto the pins in the cap and followed up with the cut down blade and assembled the razor. Then for the shave test.

The difference was noticeable from the first stroke. The level of efficiency had increased from a Slim on setting 3 to setting 5 or 6. The level of smoothness I am used to with the Elite was not affected but the 'Rocnel Rhapsody' as @Errol put it, was amplified. I could've finished with a CCS after pass No:1 but an easy BBS was within reach and I was enjoying myself.

Mission success. I think the Elite will definitely see more action now.:)

@Pbgoose It‘s good that I’m not the only one who who finds the Elite too mild but at least you’ve done something about it. The shim sounds like a great idea and I’ll be shimming my earlier Elite when it comes time for a review. I sent the link to the Elite reviews I done to Bullgoose but have not heard anything back. It was at the time of the Black Friday sales so they can be excused.

E05VaPF_d.jpg

Maggard SHD + WWB
Merkur 34c
Feather
B&M - Vespers
A&E - Asian Plum Splash + Nivea Balm

As a Norwegian living in Aus during Christmas this is great. Best suitable for colder weather or just crank up the air con.

Why the plum splash? Well, after school you would go to your friends house and get smashed on their parents’ home made plum wine.
Some sneaky enabling there! Why do I suddenly feel like purchasing some A&E Plum Splash. Is it good?

@Pbgoose It‘s good that I’m not the only one who who finds the Elite too mild but at least you’ve done something about it. The shim sounds like a great idea and I’ll be shimming my earlier Elite when it comes time for a review. I sent the link to the Elite reviews I done to Bullgoose but have not heard anything back. It was at the time of the Black Friday sales so they can be excused.

When you first started your razor reviews I wasn't convinced of the value. I didn't think there would be any added value to the reviews that people do as they purchase additional razors.
As has become abundantly apparent, your reviews have become a valuable benchmark which had they been available when I was shopping for a premium razor, probably would've steered me away from the Elite. At the time though we didn't have the benefit of the more established comparisons between Rockwell 6(S,C) and Karve plates so I went off recommendations of other Elite users.

Point being - Thanks for the time you take to write your reviews. Very consistent, readable and informative (and somewhat enabling):).

Hmm, I'm not quite ready for fragrance oils yet though sometimes I wish I could use apple, plum, peach, mixed fruit, cherry ............

You can, Robertet from France makes them for example, I use them in almost every design I release, it's what gives my perfumes the edge over pre-blends and fragrance oils.

They are natural fractions, certified by batch. While they are not cheap I find them essential for my designs, compromise is not an option for me. You will also find organic certified naturals on that site, compliant to EU standards.

Fragrance oils are best kept for candles, they are simply 5 or 6 or even 9 Aroma Chemicals with jojoba oil as a carrier and they are used by people with no understanding of perfumery. By comparison an average perfume I make may contain 130 different naturals and ACs, aside from requiring no talent or skill whatsoever to use I find Fragrance oils cheap and nasty when there are nature identical fractions available.

When I list a top note such as Apricot, Plum, Peach etc it is actually in the perfume. Obviously there are limitations and I use accords of aroma chemicals extensively, but the range of natural isolates is huge and is growing all the time.

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Razor: Karve Brass SB (D plate) + WCS brass MR5 handle
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum (3)
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira's Destructible Shaving Bowl
Soap: Pereira's Charcoal Soap
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel // Jovan cologne // Vaseline Intensive Care Moisturiser

Another enjoyable SOTD. Its official - The Rubie's are quickly becoming a favourite blade as they work wonders in all DE's that I've used to date. Next attempt with the Timeless Bronze OC so going to let off shaving a few days. Until then - Happy shaves!

Rockwell 6S@R6 w/Polsilver
TurnNshave Angel hair 25mm
TBS Maca Root cream
Vit E oil/Anherb balm

The maca root is a great cream!

The angel hair knot is one of my favorite synthetics!
I'd highly recommend it to all you synthetic fans out there.

It's a very unique knot. Very little backbone but full of luxury and being synthetic, it still whips up a monster lather despite the lack of backbone.

20191207-120111-1.jpg

You can, Robertet from France makes them for example, I use them in almost every design I release, it's what gives my perfumes the edge over pre-blends and fragrance oils.

They are natural fractions, certified by batch. While they are not cheap I find them essential for my designs, compromise is not an option for me. You will also find organic certified naturals on that site, compliant to EU standards.

Fragrance oils are best kept for candles, they are simply 5 or 6 or even 9 Aroma Chemicals with jojoba oil as a carrier and they are used by people with no understanding of perfumery. By comparison an average perfume I make may contain 130 different naturals and ACs, aside from requiring no talent or skill whatsoever to use I find Fragrance oils cheap and nasty when there are nature identical fractions available.

When I list a top note such as Apricot, Plum, Peach etc it is actually in the perfume. Obviously there are limitations and I use accords of aroma chemicals extensively, but the range of natural isolates is huge and is growing all the time.
That’s interesting!
Are there any suppliers that are accessible for small quantity purchases?

That’s interesting!
Are there any suppliers that are accessible for small quantity purchases?

Cosmark Aromatics are the appointed Robertet agent for Australia. Robertet is fiercely protective when it comes to vendors. I think the smallest they do is 500g however and that is only if you have an account with them for other things but it may be worth reaching out to them. Australia is not very useful for the aspiring perfumer, I have to buy in 1kg MOQ for a majority of my compounds, so the ones that cost 3-5k+ a kilo I import from the US in bulk lots.

You may find some US suppliers who do smaller quantities of Robertet naturals, but the exchange rate and the freight can make it expensive - shoot me an email dan [at] australianprivatereserve.com if you get stuck and I may be able to sort something out from my own stocks for you if you want to evaluate some of the materials.

Pre: Shower & "By My Beard" Beard Oil
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate N# 4
Blade: GPS = Perma Sharp I'm really enjoying this blade, and it's on it's 3rd 3 way shave and feels smooth as. Nice BBS with zero irritation.
Soap: Proraso Red soap First time using this flav as I only got it today but it's quite pleasant and like all Proraso gives a great slick shave.
Brush: Yaqi synthetic pony space chrome
Post: "By My Beard" Beard and face conditioner, I really like this stuff. Leaves my goatee so soft even when short and it's cheap as.

BHLdDvI.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cold Shower, or as cold as can be in Darwin this weather, luke warm and tepid
Brush: Semogue - 1460 Boar
Soap: Sorbolene Bar Soap
Razor: GC- 84P
Blade: GSB (8)
Post Shave: Fine Classic American Blend
Usual Midday Saturday Sh*t, Shower and Shave but was mowing the lawn straight after and did not want to waste good soap on lawn clippings. Maybe a fougere would have blended in :)
Also wanted to try shaving with this soap for a while because it is a wonderful body soap hypoallergenic and non-irritating. Many Northern Territorians (defining which Territory for @Mark1966) use medical soap to treat the prickly heat and crotch rot this time of year and while sorbolene soap is not as good as sapoderm or medicated soaps for treatment it is hypoallergenic enough to not irritate and avoid the dreaded crotch and armpit rot. Anyway it lathered well gave a good glide but not a thick slick lather like quality artisan soaps, also had a very noticeably dry face before applying aftershave. TBH a cheap shaving stick is better if counting pennies.

0KWIBeW.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Pre-Post Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Eufros Cronos
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1,2,3)

On a field assignment in the desert - hence the travel kit and the glamourous bathroom backdrop ;).
I have now used this set-up for three consequtive shaves, each two days apart.
An efficient two pass shave for a DFS result - I don't push it when away from home. This combo is very reliable for me, so I usually stick to it.

Mini-Review - Eufros Cronos Shaving Soap

This is the second Eufros soap I have tried - I own the TSN 2018 LE soap. This soap was similar in performance, and had similar DNA regarding scent.
The soap is slightly soft - similar to Cella in consistency. The scent strength is mid from the container, and remains mid-strength throughout the shave. Whilst the TSN 2018 leans towards the herbaceous, the Cronos is a little more complex, and some floral notes are present, but is clearly masculine. It is a refreshingly different and enjoyable scent.
The soap lathered very easily, and was a very good performer. Despite the travel set-up, I got a really good shave using this soap. A touch difficult to judge the post-shave, as the Alt Innsbruck Emulsion is a bit of a powerhouse post-shave product, but I suspect that it is very good, based upon my experience with my other Eufros soap.

In summary, I really liked this product and would consider purchasing it. The scent is one that I like, but suspect will grow even further on me with repeated use.

However, I'm longing for a mentholated soap at the moment - read the weather summary below and all will become clear.....................................

KKgnlDr.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR/Noble Otter "Texaus" shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (6)
Post-shave: APR/Noble Otter "Texaus" splash
Fragrance: N/A

Nice to be home but I think I brought the smoke back from SYD.

Appreciate the clarity in your post @Holiday but with Parliament not sitting until next year now I would have know that references to prickly heat and crotch rot would not be referred to the normal residents of the Capital Territory.

Nice mini-review too @TomG - enjoy that donga

vfWjkg9l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.