Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't tried that but am assuming it would help the skin recover well? Refreshing?
Yeah I bought some of the 99% Aloe for my misses and she rarely used it so I tried it a few times and it was quite soothing on the skin. Best out of the fridge - its quite sticky from memory then dries out... More akin a serum than balm but not too bad ;)

50070401441_a6c463fe9a_z.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot towel
Bowl/Scuttle:- DIY lather bowl
Brush:- Waterford Badger
Soap/Cream:- PannaCrema Lavandotto
Razor/Blade:- 5/8 Wade & Butcher Bow
Aftershave:- APR Fenchurch
cool brush

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vie-Long 4402 Mix Bristle and Extra White Horse Hair Professional Shaving Brush
Soap:- Simpsons - Lavender & Vetvier Luxury Shaving Cream
Str8 Razor:- Dovo - Solingen

WalqB2g.jpg

Using up the Simpsons cream for straight shaving. Wouldn't consider for DE but makes a good slick lather for straight.
The Vie-Long 4402 is unfortunately soggy noodles from the onset and will be retired early, plenty more to play with.
It's a shame because I like the traditional vintage look of it.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vie-Long 4402 Mix Bristle and Extra White Horse Hair Professional Shaving Brush
Soap:- Simpsons - Lavender & Vetvier Luxury Shaving Cream
Str8 Razor:- Dovo - Solingen

WalqB2g.jpg

Using up the Simpsons cream for straight shaving. Wouldn't consider for DE but makes a good slick lather for straight.
The Vie-Long 4402 is unfortunately soggy noodles from the onset and will be retired early, plenty more to play with.
It's a shame because I like the traditional vintage look of it.
I assumed the bristle would give the horse hair some additional support and thought it would be a good combo. Have you got 100% horse hair brushes? I find the badger/horse brush a good combo so assumed the bristle/horse would be just as good. I think the loft on the bristle/horse is longer than on the badger/horse so that is probably why it feels 'soggy' to you. Having said that the loft on your 4402 is the same as my 4212 (Black Horse - same config as your brush) and I don't find it soggy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I assumed the bristle would give the horse hair some additional support and thought it would be a good combo. Have you got 100% horse hair brushes? I find the badger/horse brush a good combo so assumed the bristle/horse would be just as good. I think the loft on the bristle/horse is longer than on the badger/horse so that is probably why it feels 'soggy' to you. Having said that the loft on your 4402 is the same as my 4212 (Black Horse - same config as your brush) and I don't find it soggy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi @Pbgoose the height and loft of 4402 is comparable with Semogue 1470 and it may be density and bristle that makes the difference

I have a couple of other mixed brushes Omega 11047 - Mini Mixed Badger & Boar Bristle which I like but the handle is a bit small
Newly acquired Vie Long mixed Horse Hair/Badger and a few brown horse hair to try out.
Maybe soggy is not the correct description more floppy. How I imagine the old rubberset horse hair brushes would be.

pONw5CW.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Pbgoose the height and loft of 4402 is comparable with Semogue 1470 and it may be density and bristle that makes the difference

I have a couple of other mixed brushes Omega 11047 - Mini Mixed Badger & Boar Bristle which I like but the handle is a bit small
Newly acquired Vie Long mixed Horse Hair/Badger and a few brown horse hair to try out. Maybe soggy is not the correct description more floppy

pONw5CW.jpg

I have an APShaveCo. 24MM mixed badger/boar that I love for both bowl and face lathering.

MJqKmYQ.jpg

E4iXFWH.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo Synthetic
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville
Razor: Rockwell 6C Gunmetal (R5)
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post: Alum block, Nivea sensitive balm and Clinique moisturiser.

Late night shave today, as I was waiting for the mail to arrive with my tub of B&M Seville. I'd amassed a couple of days of growth waiting for the B&M soap to arrive, smells good and really performs. The post shave feel is amazing! The 6C coupled with the Astras made short work of the stubble and a 3-pass shave has me sitting at a DFS+. Happy shaves and have a good weekend, everyone.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (5)
Blade: NOS Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (6)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban splash
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban EDP

Ahhhhh

Date:- 04 July 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Pure Lavender
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Gillette Nacet #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Merkure 37c. Thanks for the loan @Razor Burn
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Very enjoyable shave this afternoon. First use of a slant razor. Once I found he optimum shaving angle the Merkure 37c gave a comfortable close shave. I was impressed with the Merkure 37c it easily removed the stubble from my trouble spots on my neck.

Pre-shave:- Hot shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Fine Accoutrements
Brush:- Omega 10065 boar
Soap/Cream:- Wickham Soap Co 1912 'Citrus Musk''
Razor/Blade:- Blackland Blackbird / Personna Red (3)
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Klar Seifen Natural soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (5)
Blade: NOS Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (7)
Post-shave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve splash
Fragrance: N/A

I know that there are meant to be benefits in decanting the Pinaud products into glass - but then how would I know that I purchased this from Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC for $8.29 plus tax (back in 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.