Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Warm Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons and Culmak
Soap/Cream: SMN Crema da Barba shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim (5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette "Aussie Spoiler" (4)
Post-shave: SMN Tabacco Toscano splash
Fragrance: SMN Tabacco Toscano EDC

The reknotted Culmak was the brush of the day - nice result as always!

2nc2i19l.jpg

bDqYJXY_d.jpg

Razorock Plissoft
Merkur 34c
Feather
B&M Fougère Gothique sample
Barrister’s Reserve Spice

Yesterday I used the Fougère Angelique sample, today this one, both exclusive to maggardrazors.com in reserve base. I’m a wetshaving newbie and not that into perfume in general, so I have zero experience with the Fougères. Both enjoyable shaves, not something I normally go for. My pick is the Fougère Angelique because of the top notes of lime, lemon and neroli feeling a bit more refreshing

PrtokvWl.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Pb Spiced Orange
Brush: Vie-Long Black Horse American Barber Style
Razor: Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (1)
Tried the Kai Captain Mild blade and whilst I almost didn't get weepers there's no way I could use this razor as a daily driver. I have a very smooth face today but going back for a Vector shave tomorrow would stretch the friendship. The three times I've used this razor it has been with a fresh AC blade which usually get more comfortable with subsequent uses so hopefully this will be the case with this razor.
I assumed this would be the razor to push the Colonial General to the side but not at all. This is an amazing razor to use with it's efficiency and smoothness but unless I learn to negotiate around weeperville it will be relegated to occasional driver. I will persist for a while as patience paid off with the Asylum Rx.

A fabulous idea mate and well done spreading the wet shaving gospel. I'm sure the lucky buggers who scored some of your soap will be in for a treat as its better than any of that goop you get from a can. I wonder did you show them the Leaf as its one of those razors that suits both men and women, if only it was more affordable and easier to get for us locals (y)
Thanks @Razor Burn and yes the Leaf did get a talking to. The funny thing with this small audience was their concern with how long a 'proper' shave might take.

Is this first use of the Sabre? What's your opinion of it and what plate did you get?
Yes, this was my first use with the Sabre and a new Gem blade. I used the L2 plate. In short I loved it. I now have 3 GEM razors and I really like the way that they all shave. I'll give a longer appraisal once I have used it for an extended period.

PrtokvWl.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Pb Spiced Orange
Brush: Vie-Long Black Horse American Barber Style
Razor: Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (1)
Tried the Kai Captain Mild blade and whilst I almost didn't get weepers there's no way I could use this razor as a daily driver. I have a very smooth face today but going back for a Vector shave tomorrow would stretch the friendship. The three times I've used this razor it has been with a fresh AC blade which usually get more comfortable with subsequent uses so hopefully this will be the case with this razor.
I assumed this would be the razor to push the Colonial General to the side but not at all. This is an amazing razor to use with it's efficiency and smoothness but unless I learn to negotiate around weeperville it will be relegated to occasional driver. I will persist for a while as patience paid off with the Asylum Rx.
Oooh how lovely @Pbgoose I can see why the Vector LOVES giving you weepers no matter how good is your shaving technique and the balance of the razor.

Pre: Hot Shower, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Fine Snake Bite

Date:- 23 January 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Nordost
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Tipple:- A fantastic cold beer of Guinness for an enjoyable relaxing shave.

Oh Man!..... What a real pisser.... I mean is soooo bloody WARM tonight, feels about 32 degrees and I needed a shave without having the strong scent from the soap filled the whole bathroom like hell on a very warm summer night.

I really enjoy Barrister & Mann 'Nordost' not enough smoky scent from the soap, but, a very good smell of orange on a very warm summer night when you needed a shave so badly.

Pre-shave: Warm Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons and Culmak
Soap/Cream: SMN Crema da Barba shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim (5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette "Aussie Spoiler" (5)
Post-shave: SMN Tabacco Toscano splash
Fragrance: SMN Tabacco Toscano EDC

Last day with this setup, really do like the SMN!

2nc2i19l.jpg

D5C2XX7l.jpg

The soap had to be remoulded into the centre of the bowl and after today’s shave, I think I’m calling it done after tomorrow’s shave.

The Astra SP was a wonderful friend for the Wolfman getting 5 very comfortable and nick free shaves. If I get great results from more Astra blades, these will be bulk bought.

I quite enjoy the scent of the Stirling Barbershop, but the SO has other thoughts. 🤷‍♂️

I quite enjoy the scent of the Stirling Barbershop, but the SO has other thoughts. 🤷‍♂️

Change splash or change SO?

A real brut of a shave today.

Pre: Glycerine soap
Bowl: Rover
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo Kong 28mm Synthetic
Soap: Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite
Razor: Rockwell Model T
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
Balm: Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite
Splash: Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite

SOTD-24-01-2020x.jpg

OzQLToV.jpg

Wild West Brushworks + Maggard SHD 24mm
Merkur 34C
Feather (1)
Barrister & Mann - Dickens Revisited
Barrister’s Reserve - Waves splash
Thayer’s Original Alcohol free toner
Small dash Nivea Balm

Great early shave before it got too hot and muggy. We had some rain again in the early hours. Lathered up with warm water and the scent filled up the bathroom nicely. The first few times I used this soap I got mostly lemon, but now it feels more cherry forward. Very pleasing, I think it’s a safe buy if you every now and then want to try something different than all the traditional masculine scents out there.
Have a great day
Have fun go mad!

(Edited for formatting and image sizing)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.