Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
knAWFKE_d.jpg

WWB + Maggard SHD 24mm
Merkur 34c
Feather (1)
Ariana & Evans - Asian Plum Soap and Splash

Nice fruity early shave before the rest of the family woke up. Then coffee run with my 1 year old.

Have a great day!

AdZWqkUh.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Pb Gilleán
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: Puma 226
AS: Barrister's Reserve Spice
Lovely shave. The Puma 226 is one of my favourite vintage straights, but I have lots of favourites.:)
Gillean is very nice to work with. Not sure if future iterations would contain the PAC. It makes for interesting colour but sacrifices some gloss in the lather. Maybe those with oily skin would appreciate it more. It's not drying by any means but the PAC is supposed to be cleansing.

Pre-shave: Proraso Red
Brush: Muhl Vivo Badger
Soap: Truefitt & Hill 1805
Razor: Muhl Vivo
Blade: Astra
Fragrance: Joop Homme

Got some new gear finally. I've got to say, after shaving with a proper razor I don't think I can go back to those Chinese ones. Best shave.

Last edited:
8mqqxZ7.jpg

SOTD 1/2/2020

Pre: Hot Shower, Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, Bloom Water
Soap: Whispers From The Woods "Araminta" (bloomed)
Brush: The Stray Whisker 28mm Synthetic
Razor: Durham Duplex
Blade: Persona "Carpet Cutter" (1 honed)

I purchased the Durham on a whim of curiosity a couple of months back. Following a little research, I placed an order with Try a Blade for 10 of the Personna "Durham Duplex compatible" blades. Although the blades fit the Durham nicely they are, I believe, produced for the primary function of carpet cutting and therefore, not surprisingly, I had read that they did not give the best of shaves. Not put off, on Sunday last, I sanitised a blade out of the packet, loaded into the Durham and threw caution to the wind. My research had informed me that best results from the Durham were achieved by holding the handle at 90 degrees to the face, more akin to shaving with a straight rather than a regular DE razor. The resulting shave, to say the least, was very tuggy and very uncomfortable and I willingly gave up after a poor WTG pass on one side of my face.
With a week to reflect and research further, last night I took another new blade to a 16K & 30K Shapton stone followed by a number of laps on a balsa block treated with chromium oxide paste. This morning, following diligent face prep, I achieved a 3 pass much improved shave. Was it BBS? No not even a DFS to be truthful. Were there any nicks? Yes a couple. Was there any irritation? Yes but surprisingly minor. So why did I bother? Well, to shave with a razor once favoured by many (before being surpassed by Gillete) and produced by a company with such history, to me anyways, is something in itself. Would I use it again? As a result of further research, somewhere over the pacific, there is a pigeon franticly flapping in this direction with a number of "alternative" blades strapped to its leg ;) To be continued.......

Stay safe all and have a great weekend!

8mqqxZ7.jpg

SOTD 1/2/2020

Pre: Hot Shower, Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, Bloom Water
Soap: Whispers From The Woods "Araminta" (bloomed)
Brush: The Stray Whisker 28mm Synthetic
Razor: Durham Duplex
Blade: Persona "Carpet Cutter" (1 honed)

I purchased the Durham on a whim of curiosity a couple of months back. Following a little research, I placed an order with Try a Blade for 10 of the Personna "Durham Duplex compatible" blades. Although the blades fit the Durham nicely they are, I believe, produced for the primary function of carpet cutting and therefore, not surprisingly, I had read that they did not give the best of shaves. Not put off, on Sunday last, I sanitised a blade out of the packet, loaded into the Durham and threw caution to the wind. My research had informed me that best results from the Durham were achieved by holding the handle at 90 degrees to the face, more akin to shaving with a straight rather than a regular DE razor. The resulting shave, to say the least, was very tuggy and very uncomfortable and I willingly gave up after a poor WTG pass on one side of my face.
With a week to reflect and research further, last night I took another new blade to a 16K & 30K Shapton stone followed by a number of laps on a balsa block treated with chromium oxide paste. This morning, following diligent face prep, I achieved a 3 pass much improved shave. Was it BBS? No not even a DFS to be truthful. Were there any nicks? Yes a couple. Was there any irritation? Yes but surprisingly minor. So why did I bother? Well, to shave with a razor once favoured by many (before being surpassed by Gillete) and produced by a company with such history, to me anyways, is something in itself. Would I use it again? As a result of further research, somewhere over the pacific, there is a pigeon franticly flapping in this direction with a number of "alternative" blades strapped to its leg ;) To be continued.......

Stay safe all and have a great weekend!

Great review. I’ll be watching with interest because I also have Durham and thought it was a museum piece and not a user.

CSa38DR.jpg
hpcNOAs.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue Owners Club - Limited Edition Boar
Soap: Stirling Noir sample puck
Razor: Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade: Nacet (3)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'
Trying to 3017 this sample puck after 2 pass BBS rinsed the rest away
The SOC LE Boar on the right splayed like a frizzy perm in the rain after first use

CSa38DR.jpg
hpcNOAs.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue Owners Club - Limited Edition Boar
Soap: Stirling Noir sample puck
Razor: Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade: Nacet (3)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'
Trying to 3017 this sample puck after 2 pass BBS rinsed the rest away
The SOC LE Boar on the right splayed like a frizzy perm in the rain after first use

@Holiday
Are you enjoying the Timeless.

@Holiday
Are you enjoying the Timeless.
Absolutely, the only reason to move away is to try other razors. It has surpassed the GC-84P as my favorite but still have a Karve, Blackland Dart and ATT to trial.
If it wasn't for P&C BST and @todras generous price I doubt I would ever have got a Timeless in the den. The head is large but does not feel bulky. Big blade gap with very little overhang, and never a bad angle.
By far the most efficient non aggressive razor to date and still have GSB and Feathers to go.

Absolutely, the only reason to move away is to try other razors. It has surpassed the GC-84P as my favorite but still have a Karve, Blackland Dart and ATT to trial.
If it wasn't for P&C BST and @todras generous price I doubt I would ever have got a Timeless in the den. The head is large but does not feel bulky. Big blade gap with very little overhang, and never a bad angle.
By far the most efficient non aggressive razor to date and still have GSB and Feathers to go.

@Holiday
The Timeless is a lovely bit of kit that just delivers. Glad you like it.

zIE9eoc.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB WRH7 SS
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic

The WRH2 is getting better and better - so easy, so smooth and so very close!

On another note: after 14 days without booze and 3 days without coffee I give up. Can't get rid of this darn northern hemisphere flu, so decided not to care anymore...the soap scent says it all...

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend (y)

Pre: Hot Towel, Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol Pre & After shave cream
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blade
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

Date:- 01 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Frozen Mojito
Razor/Blade:- Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic / Personna PTFE Coated Injector #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Tipple:- Fantastic cold beer of Guinness for a very warm pisser late afternoon summer shave.

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: 1973 super speed
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: Stirling Blu

Loaded the black beauty with a fresh polsilver on 6 and enjoyed a nice smooth XTG first pass. Such a smooth shave but little mild so bumped it to 9 and started the first ATG with care. Definitely felt the blade on 9 and finished the pass with care. Last pass ATG but bumped down to a 8 and finished off the pass. Such a smooth close shave.

Got the AP restoration out after the shave, added 3 pumps to the hand and rubbed it on. I really enjoyed the mild scent and the balm was soaked up within a min or two. Its been 4hrs since I shaved and post shave feels excellent.

49471903717_b3fabe3131_b.jpg

zIE9eoc.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB WRH7 SS
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic

The WRH2 is getting better and better - so easy, so smooth and so very close!

On another note: after 14 days without booze and 3 days without coffee I give up. Can't get rid of this darn northern hemisphere flu, so decided not to care anymore...the soap scent says it all...

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend (y)
3 days without coffee, no wonder you are sick

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim (5)
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword (6)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Alfredus Choice splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Alfredus Choice EDP

The splash and EDP seemed a natural choice given the love for Mike's soaps that @alfredus has!

The lather from the Mike's is just sensational too, if I'd been in "full @alfredus" mode I would have posted a pic, but this was not to be ...

VTaE1n9l.jpg

knAWFKE_d.jpg

WWB + Maggard SHD 24mm
Merkur 34c
Feather (1)
Ariana & Evans - Asian Plum Soap and Splash

Nice fruity early shave before the rest of the family woke up. Then coffee run with my 1 year old.

Have a great day!
I notice you favour the 34c.It is hard to go past this brilliant razor

Status
Not open for further replies.