Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sx8nwmr.jpg

Pre: Water
Razor: JTB head with WCS SS handle
Blade: Rockwell Swedish Steel
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm HM Badger
Soap: Murphy & McNeil - Barbershop de los muertos (BDLM)

So I blind bought the soap based on the cover art, Kodiak base and it being limited edition. I haven't compared it directly to M&M's standard Aon base yet, but what I can say is, that it is a very soft soap. The texture is like marzipan. Even with the gentlest of brush swirls, chunks of soap were lifted up off the tub into the bristles. I was forced to precision load and bowl lather instead, which isn't my preferred way of lathering. Lathers well, not too thirsty, nice slickness and adequate post shave. Very good base, but not in the same league as Milksteak, Soft Heart or Sego.

Jack the Barber head with a West Coast Shaving stainless steel handle. The extra weight of the handle makes the super aggressive JTB head shave much easier to shave, letting the weight of the razor do the work instead of pressure, and the knurling makes it nice and grippy compared to the smooth metal handle that it normally comes with.

Sx8nwmr.jpg

So I blind bought the soap based on the cover art, Kodiak base and it being limited edition. I haven't compared it directly to M&M's standard Aon base yet, but what I can say is, that it is a very soft soap. The texture is like marzipan. Even with the gentlest of brush swirls, chunks of soap were lifted up off the tub into the bristles. I was forced to precision load and bowl lather instead, which isn't my preferred way of lathering. Lathers well, not too thirsty, nice slickness and adequate post shave. Very good base, but not in the same league as Milksteak, Soft Heart or Sego.

Jack the Barber head with a West Coast Shaving stainless steel handle. The extra weight of the handle makes the super aggressive JTB head shave much easier to shave, letting the weight of the razor do the work instead of pressure, and the knurling makes it nice and grippy compared to the smooth metal handle that it normally comes with.
The soap looks interesting. What's the scent like?

Pbgoose, that TI flower pattern looks really nice. :love:
I've got four TI's and I think this is my favourite. Funny because when I bought it it was 2nd choice, the one I wanted was sold, but this has turned out to be my most consistent performer, lovely to hone and lovely to shave.

Sx8nwmr.jpg

Even with the gentlest of brush swirls, chunks of soap were lifted up off the tub into the bristles. I was forced to precision load and bowl lather instead, which isn't my preferred way of lathering. Lathers well, not too thirsty, nice slickness and adequate post shave. Very good base, but not in the same league as Milksteak, Soft Heart or Sego..

Interesting that you had issues with lathering the soap. I have this particular soap and several other soaps in the Kodiak Aon, and slainte base, and never had any issues as you have described above. Kodiak base should be fairly firm and not break apart. It should not be soft like DG Milksteak. The slainte base is soft and loads simiarly to milkstreak. I found the Kodiak base is a pretty damn good soap base, up there with other good artisan bases. I also noted the soap was thirstier than the the other Aon and slainte based soap when lathering. I am keen to hear your feedback after a few more shaves on kodiak base and your opinion of the Nantahala soap.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: CRD - Hybrid red dragons egg 30mm motherload
Soap/Cream: PAA - Doppleganger Red
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Razorock - XXX AS splash / Nivea Men - Deep Moisturiser

2 pass WTG, XTG = DFS+. Finally caught up with Sotd posts. Now to stay on top of it.

9-E3-E2-E04-7-FA3-4-B25-9083-16188-C8-EE59-F.jpg

Boxing Day shave:

Couple of drops of this pure lavender oil were a nice addition to some TN Dickinson’s witchhazel for post shave.

I’m retiring this Wizamet after 14 great shaves as well!! Will give the 7OC yellow a whirl next.
Nice to see the Bridestowe EO making an appearance here. The farm is well worth the visit when the herb is in bloom, it's quite spectacular. To a lavender-head like me, anyway...

YeASnRQ.jpg

Razor: Wolfman Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Matilda Prototype Rhodium knots 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic

I hope you all have brilliant Boxing Day (y)

Brush
: CRD - Hybrid red dragons egg 30mm motherload
I've admired that brush for a while, it's a beauty. What do you think of the Motherlode knot? I read somewhere that it's basically a makeup brush, which I guess might be a bit on the soft side, but I've never tried one.

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Barrbarr
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Tonight Tipple:- Balvenie Doublewood 17yrs old

I've admired that brush for a while, it's a beauty. What do you think of the Motherlode knot? I read somewhere that it's basically a makeup brush, which I guess might be a bit on the soft side, but I've never tried one.

The knot is really soft and has a luxerious feel on the face when lathering. I think the knot was set with a loft of 50mm. There is no springiness, and feels really just the same as lathering up with a boss or tuxedo knot set at the same loft height except softer. No issues in picking up soap from the puck and face lathering. I'ts my one and only motherload knot.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth @Srdjan P&C LE Matilda shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Razor: Muhle ROCCA Razor – R95 Stainless Steel Safety Razor – Birch Bark
Blade: Polsilver "Brown" blade (3)
Post-shave: APR Lightning Ridge splash
Fragrance: APR Lightning Ridge EDP

pds4w8bl.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: Yaqi - Mysterious Space 26mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Frankincense & Myrrh
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Post-shave: / Nivea Men - Post Shave Balm

2 pass WTG, XTG = Terrible Shave.:mad: This Gillette platinum blade was already tugging and rough on the WTG pass. Weepers present and not happy.
2 shaves and the blade is dead. The first shave on this particular blade was pretty decent and no issues. I have never had much luck with the platinums lasting any amount of time. They were terrible in the 3one6, and also terrible in this razor. 1 shave wonders. I did use another Platinum blade in the same razor about 1 week ago and on the second shave it was OK. That blade came from the dark blue background white writing european release Gillette Platinums. The blade used in this razor was one of the white background blue writing and Arabic lettering in the top corner.

The Soap, Stirling - Frankincense & Myrh. Scent strength medium to strong off the puck. Scent notes frankincense, myrrh, vanilla, cardamom, and copiaba balsam. A very nice warm, resinous spicy, oriental scent. Off the puck the Frankincense is quite prominent , once lathered up the resinous woody notes myrhh unfold, with spiciness of the cardamom and copiaba balsam, then rounded out with the warmth from the vanilla. Dont let this soap fool you thinking its incense heavy from its initial off the puck scent, the real jewel of this soap shines through once lathering takes place. Great cool weather or evening shave scent. (y)

UJecNoEl.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Whispers From The Woods - Clary Sage, Bergamot, Geranium
Brush: Omega 10098
Razor: Dart
Blade: BIC (1)
The BIC is a great combination with the Dart.
Glad to see you getting along with the Dart (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.