Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody hell, :eek: You should start a shaving injuries thread ! :D
And provide ammunition for the cartridge-shaving drones? Maybe not a good idea... :censored:

On the other hand, the worst shaving injury I've inflicted upon myself is when I "shaved" in the wrong direction (in a very hungover state) with one of the triple-blade thingies and gave myself a nice triple gash on my jawline. I never got anything that bad with a str8.

41609-B8-E-CC79-481-D-B272-0-A592043-A4-C5.jpg

I really should take SOTD shots pre-shave when the brush is nice and fluffy lol.

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: qshave titanium
Soap: proraso green
Brush: Edwin jagger synthetic

Im liking the King C more and more simply because it’s such a workhorse for the money and it’s an easy razor to use. Today’s shave was quite smooth but once again the qshave titanium is the weak link here. Not sharp enough for mild razors. Gonna write them off and not be a tightarse lol. I’ve also got to kick the habit of buffing at the end without any shaving cream which is what I did with cartridges. This bad buffing is what gives me razor burn.
Nothing wrong with showing the SOTD as it is. Keep it up. (y)

Also nothing wrong with buffing without much soap, so long as there is enough slickness left. If you add a few drops of water with your "other" hand, there usually is, unless you're using a particularly crappy soap. Proraso isn't my first choice (or even my second), but it's not crappy.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Forgotton Art - Bushman 26mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Blue Devil Shave Co. - Sinnerman Orange
Razor: Rex - Envoy
Blade: - Personna - Platinum (5&6)
Post-shave: Lucky Tiger - AS face tonic / Face moisturiser

2 pass WTG+ touchups = DFS+. This has been my shave set-up for the last 2 shaves, now I am up to date.

The Soap, Blue Devil Shave Company - Sinnerman. Scent off the tub is medium to strong, and medium once lathered. Scent notes Orange, Cinnamon, Vanilla. A simple scent profile and one that works. Sour/bitter orange with the spicey yet sweet cinnamon note over a base of smooth vanilla. Sort of reminds me of the those red coated chocolate Jaffa lollies when I was a child. The ones you used to throw at the people in the front rows at the cinema. :D

Blue Devil Shave Co. Is a new Australian artisan as mentioned in this thread https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/blue-devil-shave-co.6743/
My last two shaves have been with this soap so I could get a good feel for the soap as I never used this soap before.

For starters it was very easy to lather, and did not require a lot of water. Lather was thick, volumous, slick, cushioning, with great residual slickness, and a great post shave. Let me say I was not surprised. Call it a sixth sense, but I knew from looking at the soap it was going to be something special, and I was not disappointed. Only a few soaps I have said that for in the past, and non of them Australian.

Performance wise, this is the best Australian soap I have used to date. Yes I think I have tried all the known Aussie artisan soaps made in the last 10 years except @Pbgoose. ( who I hope one day to try a sample from his secret stash:cool:.) After two heavy loads on this tub, the soap still practically looks like I haven't used it. That surprised me in a good way. Alot of soaps I have used recently from Super artisan X appears to use 1/20 tub in 1 shave and one particular artisan 1/10 in 1 shave( not kidding pm me for a pic)

For a series one soap base release, Blue Devil Shave Co. have done extremely well. The scents are basic and uncomplicated which is a good thing for a new company. Taking risks with complicated scents especially if it's an original new scent, could be financial burden on a new business until it takes off. I think it's a wise decision what Blue Devil Shave Co. have done with the soap scents, as they have an exceptional product to build from. It can only get better as time goes on. I wish Craig and Blue Devil Shave Co. all the best for the future, and I hope to purchase more of your products shortly. ( need to use my tub of vetiver first:))

My first soap for 2021 that gets my two thumbs up new soap approval. (y)(y)

Not to rub it in, but pbgoose soap is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of using!!

Wonderful performance with such natural and unique scents!

Not to rub it in, but pbgoose soap is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of using!!

Wonderful performance with such natural and unique scents!
Agree 100% as I'm not sure what @Pbgoose puts in his recipe but it manages to produce slick lather with awesome post shave feel everytime! (y)(y)(y)

IMG-20210513-215531.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm Plissoft
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Gillette Minora Stainless (3) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Bay Rum sample
Post: TSW After Balm // PAA Atomic Bay Rum A/S Splash sample // P&B Imperial Bay Rum solid cologne
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS+

What a way to finish what has been a busy week. Super smooth, efficient and injury free shave. Still on the fence regarding the difference between each blade but what I know for certain is they my two favourites together with Wizamet SI & 7 O'Clock Yellows when paired with the Rocca....

Have a Great Weekend and Rug Up my Fellow Canberran's as Winter is Coming!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr :X3:

Brush: WCS - tortoise shell 26mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Cygnus X1
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Minora Stainless (1)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Cygnus X1 AS splash / A&E - skin food nourishing cream.

From two days ago.
2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS+. First official shave on the new blade and it felt fantastic. Smooth, sharp, and efficient, I could not ask for anything more from today's shave.. Very reminiscent of the out of production Gillette Stainless (red & white).

And provide ammunition for the cartridge-shaving drones? Maybe not a good idea... :censored:

On the other hand, the worst shaving injury I've inflicted upon myself is when I "shaved" in the wrong direction (in a very hungover state) with one of the triple-blade thingies and gave myself a nice triple gash on my jawline. I never got anything that bad with a str8.

Yep, been there. Neat triple gash across the chin curve.

That is just insane!! I can't seem to get a blade past about 5 shaves without it becoming rough. But hat tip to you Sir!!
There's a bit that you can do with your pre-shave to extend your blades, but ultimately it comes down to genetics - how tough your whiskers are. I suspect @SpeedyPC of having cotton-floss whiskers ;), there's no way most human beings get that many shaves out of a blade.

Though if you only shave above the upper lip, you don't wear out your blades as much as if you do both face and head. And it makes a difference whether you go for BBS or settle for SAS or DFS...

There's a bit that you can do with your pre-shave to extend your blades, but ultimately it comes down to genetics - how tough your whiskers are. I suspect @SpeedyPC of having cotton-floss whiskers ;), there's no way most human beings get that many shaves out of a blade.

I guess I do use the same blade for head and face shaves. But I think I was lucky with 5 as face only.

Brush: TF Customs - 26mm boss knot
Soap/Cream: Grooming Dearthenware- Otium
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Stainless (red & white) (1)
Post-shave: Barbasol - Brisk AS / A&E - skin food nourishing cream.

From yesterday
2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS+. Shaved with the Gillette Stainless (red & white) blade in the Rocca today, and it felt fantastic. Smooth, sharp, and efficient, I could not ask for anything more from today's shave again. This shave felt exactly the same as yesterday's shave with the Minora blade.

Agree 100% as I'm not sure what @Pbgoose puts in his recipe but it manages to produce slick lather with awesome post shave feel everytime! (y)(y)(y)

Hey @Razor Burn and @nav1 . Thanks for the generous comments. That was nice timing for my BD today.(y) I was thinking yesterday 'I'm going to make time tomorrow to do some work on my web site' and ended up being ham strung all day with a headache:sick:. My meth soap lab is just about finished. I've been meaning to post a couple of photos but am waiting on the joinery to cough up the kitchen cupboard doors, but don't know when it'll get to fire a shot in anger as where're getting close to having to move out of the house for the builder to take over for the reno's.
Sorry fella's, I'll get organised one day.

gfauntc.jpg

Mining Camp Shave

Prep: Barrister's Reserve Cool soap; Alt-Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Arko
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium

At a remote mining camp, with very hard water. I have typically struggled with getting decent lather using various soaps/creams at this site, so decided to go with the nuclear option - Arko.
It did not let me down. Whilst exhibiting some minor adverse effects from the hard water, it nevertheless provided slick and reliable lather.

Status
Not open for further replies.