Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you. A&E soaps are not cheap, especially by the time you've paid postage.

Just had a thought, one thing that has changed (not your face) is you seem to be using the piggy-wigs a lot more now. I wonder if you could be reacting to the bristles? :unsure: Or a combo of the bristles and the A&E? Could try lathering up with a synth for a few days before switching back to the hogs.

very good point there mate.. caused me to go back in the SOTD posts to see what I used

Most of my boar shaves with @TroyTools boar, Semogue, Zenith and Omega boars have been with Tabac with zero issue, so cant be the boars.. which I am quite happy about cos Ive spent some coin there also as of late

the last three A&E shaves that caused issue were with

1st A&E shave was with Matilda badger and Turkish Cafe with red beacon effect
2nd A&E shave was with semogue boar and Turkish Cafe much less issue
1st A&E Monaco shave today was again with the Matilda Badger

I doubt the badger is the cause either, cos I cant remember this happening BUT... next shave will be Sunday with the Matilda and good old trusty Tabac just to put that one to rest

and Monday's shave will be with Monte Carlo and a synthetic

very good point there mate.. caused me to go back in the SOTD posts to see what I used

Most of my boar shaves with @TroyTools boar, Semogue, Zenith and Omega boars have been with Tabac with zero issue, so cant be the boars.. which I am quite happy about cos Ive spent some coin there also as of late

I doubt the badger is the cause either, cos I cant remember this happening BUT... next shave will be Sunday with the Matilda and good old trusty Tabac just to put that one to rest

@StratMan sounds like classic frag burn. As mentioned before, it happens from time to time to myself with soaps that are strong scented. It's not just an A&E thing, it happens with other brands as well. That is the trade off with strong scents, in that some people are more sensitive than others.

Which A&E Bases are they? I've found the Kaizen soaps give me a little tingle but the previous base didn't.

iKon B1 Slant w/ATT Copper Handle
Personna‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌Chrome‌ ‌Israeli‌ ‌Red‌
Elite Fire & Ice 24mm Manchurian White
Ethos Mélange d’agrumes Premium Soap
Ethos Mélange d’agrumes Premium Splash

ZwyX4oF.jpg

@StratMan sounds like classic frag burn. As mentioned before, it happens from time to time to myself with soaps that are strong scented. It's not just an A&E thing, it happens with other brands as well. That is the trade off with strong scents, in that some people are more sensitive than others.
giphy.gif

If I recall correctly the last two bad reactions with A&E have also been with a fresh Minora. Maybe a combination of the soaps and sharpness of a fresh Minora blade. For me the Minoras are on the aggro side of sharp along with Feather, Nacet and Rubies. A bit like an expertly honed laser-sharp straight - so sharp they burn.

If I recall correctly the last two bad reactions with A&E have also been with a fresh Minora. Maybe a combination of the soaps and sharpness of a fresh Minora blade. For me the Minoras are on the aggro side of sharp along with Feather, Nacet and Rubies. A bit like an expertly honed laser-sharp straight - so sharp they burn.
True that! I recall after my first shave with my Nodachi and a Minora the alum block stung like hell! More than subsequent shaves with Nacet, Feather etc. Their smoothness belies their sharpness.

Took a bit of a gamble with this razor because I wanted to try an MK without paying the exuberant price tag.
The edge was heavily pitted but have been able to get down to solid metal without losing too much.
It's tree topping hairs and managed a decent shave but needs a bit more work.
Glad it can be restored albeit not the prettiest blade with all that pitting but not a waste of money.​

lbAdgbH.jpg

Vintage C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna Sweden Straight Razor, M K (Crown) No.31
ZENITH unbleached bristle olive wood handle 506U XSE
Gentlemen's Quarter - Cavendish Black
Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery

Ok Ok let's all blame the Minora blades now.:D.

I warmed you all that the Minoras were sharp and smooth. What the bloody hell else do you want???:LOL:

@Wilkshire13 it has nothing to do with the base, and everything to do with the concentration of fragrance oils used. Other brands have the same issues in their strong scented soaps.

thing I don’t get though is why time to time? I have been using A&E for years including these exact soaps with never an issue

thing I don’t get though is why time to time? I have been using A&E for years including these exact soaps with never an issue

Welcome to the world of allergies. Something in the environment or your diet could be triggering the hypersetivity to the fragrance oil concentration in the soap!

For instance, Spring is such a beautiful time in Australia. For myself it is a nightmare due to pollen allergies which cause me a world of nightmares with histamine build up which triggers allergies to everything food wise except meat products. Now I eat strictly carnivore until summer or until I travel to the tropics where I have no such issues. Thank heavans I am not allergic to coffee.:coffee:.

reckon the first was with a wizamet, I did get razor burn with a minora + lupo 95 with too many passes but it’s different.. that was razor burn in specific places, this was frag burn as suggested but ALL over, like a blanket and bright red like I have been badly sunburned

reckon the first was with a wizamet, I did get razor burn with a minora + lupo 95 with too many passes but it’s different.. that was razor burn in specific places, this was frag burn as suggested but ALL over, like a blanket and bright red like I have been badly sunburned
My theory is as you scrape off more layers of epidermis with a sharper blade the new skin underneath is more sensitive to frag burn ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.