Shave of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lot of Shark bashing!

Anyhow had my first shave with the legendary Gillette Spoiler. Maybe I was expecting a miracle after all that's been written about this blade but it was a good shave. Couldn't discern anything special about it. Nice and smooth but I get that with nearly every blade on the first shave. At least it's not that hideous sharpness that you find in Feathers and what I've discovered more recently with the Gillette Super Silver. I'll do a side by side with a Shark blade. It's been so long, I can't remember what they're like.

I can only report my thoughts/experiences as they occur Nick, I'm certainly no guru.

As I said Shave 2 will be interesting as this blade showed a marked improvement during the first three passes IMHE.

Anyhow had my first shave with the legendary Gillette Spoiler. Maybe I was expecting a miracle after all that's been written about this blade but it was a good shave. Couldn't discern anything special about it. Nice and smooth but I get that with nearly every blade on the first shave. At least it's not that hideous sharpness that you find in Feathers and what I've discovered more recently with the Gillette Super Silver. I'll do a side by side with a Shark blade. It's been so long, I can't remember what they're like.

I found shaves 2 to (I think 6 or 7 so far) to be much nicer than shave 1. The serious edginess was off and you could dance around your face with much glee and frivloity - bearing in mind of course the bastard blades will still drain most of your blood if taken too lightly. Personally I would like to know what razors people are using for their trials - I have not been able to go past the Slim at 7 but as I have lots of really really cheap Spoilers I may have to try some other razors ( of course all my razors are Gillette apart from the SEs).

Glen

Off to MC a wedding today :/

We're on the Gold Coast (Runaway Bay) so I have a Travel kit, it's my first time travelling as a DE shaver.

Shave will be:

- Merkeur HD
- Gillette 7OC Yellow
- TOBS Sandalwood cream
- TGN brush

And headblade for the head!

So I packed all of the above plus:
Razorock Alum
Small bottle of which hazel
Moisturiser
Plus all the regular toiletries. I feel like I got a lot of stuff here lol!

Gillette SS Red Tip
Personna Blue 'Super'
Arko
Vie long Brush
Speick balm

Tried and tested combo for me. The blade was something different though- I had a single one rattling around in my stash so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll admit to being a little apprehensive about it, as I seem to recall trying a different Personna blade (with red packaging I think?) and not being impressed.

This was good though- smooth and sharp which are the two main features I look for in a blade. Will see how it rates for longevity.

Gillette SS Red Tip
Personna Blue 'Super'
Arko
Vie long Brush
Speick balm

Tried and tested combo for me. The blade was something different though- I had a single one rattling around in my stash so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll admit to being a little apprehensive about it, as I seem to recall trying a different Personna blade (with red packaging I think?) and not being impressed.

This was good though- smooth and sharp which are the two main features I look for in a blade. Will see how it rates for longevity.

Did teh blade look like this one:

labs.jpeg

These are the Personna 'lab' blues - I probably threw some in with a razor. Great blade - my current standard

Dangerous........shaving before a wedding ceremony. Thinking about a speech whilst moving a sharp object around your face always has the predictable result for me.

Yeah.... Plus it was super humid up here! And as always we were running late so it was rushed. Luckily I made it out unscaved!

That looks to be the one Mark, and given your past generosity there's a good chance it was from you. If so, thanks :)

No worries - a great blade IMHO - but RM will correct that if I'm wrong :D

Palmolive Stick
Mach 3
Marco & Stella ASB

Rubbed the stick on my face, rubbed it with my fingers and had at it with the mach 3 wtg. Rinse, restick, rerub ATG.

They really aren't that bad if you ignore the tugging and pulling. Face is definitely feeling it a bit more than a DE shave but perfectly serviceable and if you didn't know any better...

[/catamongpigeons] :p

.........[/catamongpigeons]..........

It's more a case of one pidgeon amongst cats. This of course is absolute rubbish. Next thing you know all DE blades are much uvva muchness, all shaving soaps are the same, a razor is a razor is a razor regardless of how many blades it holds and brushes are redundant, just use your fingers.

I don't know, give the man a fat handled NEW (with capital letters no less......when have you ever seen mach 3 spelt MACH 3.....enough said) and what does he do?

Get with it SYD.

Last edited:

Just had a shave with a Shark and aside from the fact that it's a bit noisier the end result is pretty much the same. Does smoothness mean it doesn't make a lot of noise? I like the feedback personally. I'll run both side by side for a while and see.....and for the rest:

The Moos
The Frankenbrush: A TGN silver tip in some fairly unknown handle. My first restore. Ugly as sin but seriously comfortable to handle and a very nice knot (provided you set it really low). Thanks to Drubbing for naming it.
The 7O'Clock bakelite: Why hasn't anybody else got of one of these? They're the best.

Just had a shave with a Shark
Do you go home at lunch time to shave?

I used to work with a bald bloke who had to shave up to 2 or 3 (if he was going out at night) times per day.

Do you go home at lunch time to shave?

I used to work with a bald bloke who had to shave up to 2 or 3 (if he was going out at night) times per day.

Don't take the time reference too literally. The "just" was just this morning. Having said that, I do work from home so I can shave whenever I want.

I like the noise of the Sharks too, PJ. Reminds me of the SE sound. I busted out the GEM OC MicroMatic today because it's been quite a while since I used an SE and it'd been 4 days since my last shave, so I wanted a good one. Really nice result on my face and around the jawline, but I got a bit antsy around my neck. I cut horizontally from adam's apple to ear to go with the grain on both sides of my neck, I had a couple of goes and gave the SE up. Felt far too sharp for my liking, I'm surprising I didn't cut myself. I think the blade might be a bit dodgy, I didn't change the old one out so it might have already had a few shaves. I finished off with the 34C and an original Super Iridium to avoid irritation on my neck, they're a really good combo. So similar to the Polsilver Super Iridium, but with less noise.

I managed to get into Mustafa Center in Singapore for 20 mins on the way back to Melbourne, and sadly, almost all of the three rows of shaving kit is Gillette branded goop and carts. Few diamonds in the rough though. A reasonable selection of Omega brushes, mostly variants of the same. I picked up a No. 49 because all the others were tiny, and I bowl lather. It was $10. My old man got an 80266 with a stand for $8.50, and a tube of Omega shaving cream for $4.50. I was going to pick up a Kai shavette, but I had some doubts about getting it past security in my carry-on and didn't want to waste $15 to find out. They had some Gillette Yellow/Greens and Dorco blades, Supermax and Godrej cream too. A few other creams I didn't know and a couple of equally unknown aftershaves. A couple of cheap straights. Big selection of fragrances, but more expensive by far than the online places or duty free. I wouldn't particularly recommend going there, I suspect they've dumped some of their shaving stuff because what was on display didn't really match with some people's experiences from last year and earlier this year. Had a big hunt for Proraso because it was supposed to be there, but no joy. It's crowded in there even in the middle of the day, they sell everything. Literally everything. If you're in Singapore without a better idea, you could find worse ways to spend 20 mins.

I tried the No. 49 out tonight, and it's very big. I bowl lather, so the big handle is better for me and it worked well. Gave it a go with the Mike's Natural Soaps Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper. Worked pretty well, I expect it'll take a few goes to get it working at potential. I'm still trying to get the amount of water needed for MNS exactly right, I scrapped my first batch of lather today because I let it get too watery. Second time was better, I'm going to persist with the No. 49 and MNS for a couple of weeks to get them both going. The brush feels great on my face, pleasantly harsh and scrubby. I hope it doesn't soften up too much when it's broken in.

Hmm, well if any of you Shark blade lovers want some more, shoot me a PM and I'll PIF you some. I've got more than I'll ever use.

Status
Not open for further replies.