Simpson Special S1 Pure: mini review

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hello all,

I thought I'd do a brief review on my latest brush- the Simpson Special S1 Pure. Keep in mind that at present I've only used it once- will endeavour to update this post as I use it more and form a proper opinion.

Simply put, it is (as far as I am aware) the cheapest brush that Simpson make. Which makes it perfect for me- a tightars...err bargain hunter who isn't (yet?) prepared to drop hundreds of dollars on a brush, but who DOES want to try a Simpson. To put things into perspective: my last brush purchase was a $9 Tweezerman from Amazon (a great brush for the price, but that's a story for another day!).

Anyhow, enough waffle. Here's some pics:

The brush in its rightful place:
IMG_20130305_185233_zps50431d5f.jpg

Comparison shot with my other brushes and some Arko:
IMG_20130305_185323_zpsbe5c479e.jpg

Initial thoughts:

Price- I paid a total of 21.50 pounds for this. More than most of my brushes, but not insanely expensive. I'm pretty happy with the cost.
Size- Smaller than I expected, although I wouldn't consider it tiny. Makes me wonder how small a Wee Scott must be!
Aesthetics- I really like it- very 'old world' and classy looking (personal opinion though, your taste may vary). Slightly disappointed that the Simpsons logo is a sticker (not sure if this is the same for the more expensive ones?)

After one shave:

tl;dr summary- awesome first impression, but need to spend more time using it to form a proper opinion

As mentioned, the size of the brush is smaller than I expected. Then again, this suits me fairly well as I have a small face / hands. When I use my brush with the largest plume (the unmarked brush second from the right in the pic) I tend to get lather everywhere because it covers so much of my face. The size of this Simpson is pretty much optimal for me.

Being a 'Pure' I was expecting this to be fairly scratchy (based on what I've read about Pure vs Best etc). I didn't find this to be the case- it felt fairly mild actually. Not sure if this is because I'm used to using fairly scratchy brushes like my Vie Long. Overall, I'd call it slightly scratchy, but not overwhelmingly so.

In terms of performance this little brush is amazing. The shave consisted of:

34C w/ Voskhod
TOBS Sandalwood Soap (bowl)
TOBS Sandalwood balm

With this combo, my process is: soak the brush in warm water for a few minutes, shake excess water away and swirl in TOBs soap bowl a few times, whip up the lather in my shave bowl, lather up.

Using the Simpson and following the above steps I produced an awesome lather with ease. I can usually get a good lather out of TOBS, but it requires a bit of work in the shave bowl. Not with this brush though!

Given that it was a first use, I expected some shedding. There was one or two bristles that shed, but not all that much. The Tweezerman, for example, shed quite a lot for the first 6 or so shaves.

Overall, very impressed and happy with the result after the first shave. Looking forward to trying more soaps and seeing how things go.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I thought I'd do a brief review on my latest brush- the Simpson Special S1 Pure. Keep in mind that at present I've only used it once- will endeavour to update this post as I use it more and form a proper opinion.

Great review. Of course if the cheapest brush is this good imagine what a re-knotted Chubby 3 would be like ....

Nice review.

Will be interesting to see how you feel it goes over time.

I need to bulk put my brush collection!

Nice review.

Will be interesting to see how you feel it goes over time.

I need to bulk put my brush collection!

Bulk up your brush collection? No better way to do that than with a re-knotted Chubby 3, imagine what a Somerset Simpson would be like ....

..........Makes me wonder how small a Wee Scott must be!........

A lot smaller. Looks like a toy in fact. Works beautifully if you're in to face lathering.

.......Slightly disappointed that the Simpsons logo is a sticker (not sure if this is the same for the more expensive ones?)......

It's exactly the same for every brush that goes out their door. Aside from the Wee Scot which has granddad Simmos very own signature engraved. No sticker on that one. Wouldn't fit anyhow. The "Sterilized" sticker is a hangover from when brushes could be and I think were on occassion identified as the source of tranmitted diseases such as anthrax. There was actually no need to include "Simpson" in the sticker wording. So strictly speaking it's not even a logo as such. It's a bit of a moot point nowadays but for the trditionalists they still stick them on. Over at YNW, threads complaining about the quality of the Simpson stickers used to appear almost every day. Simpson used to send them out free of charge to replace old ones. If you buy Marks Somerset Simmo, it'll not only have a sticker but also a Simpson engraving. Well worth it if you ask me!

I don't mind pure badger. A lot of people do though. Nice review by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback all.

The bowl I currently use is the copper shaving cup from bestshave.net
Copper shaving cup [coppercup] - $5.60 : Bestshave.net, International supplier of shaving equipment

I'm considering going back to a ceramic bowl though, for a few reasons:

-The 'copper' aspect of the bowl is debatable. Copper coloured maybe but I'm not so sure about being made of actual copper
-The handle attaches via two holes that go right through the bowl itself. The problem is they aren't sealed, so if you fill the bowl with water above the level where the handle is attached, it leaks.

It's a nice looking, cheap bowl though.

Edit: and back on topic, the experience with this brush has been good enough to have me thinking about purchasing a larger Simpson in the future. Given that I like the Pure range, I think something like a Beaufort B3 might be on the cards.

Last edited:
Round 2 today, with the same combo as before but using Proraso Red.

Once again, the little Simpson impresses. I'd always found the the Proraso took slightly more effort to create a good lather than TOBs, but with the Special S1 it was quite easy.
No shedding at all this time either- other brushes I've used have shed for at least the first 5 or so uses.

Next will be the Arko test, but considering the fact that a drop of water and a toothbrush could probably create a great Arko lather I'm not expecting any difficulties here!

Next will be the Arko test, but considering the fact that a drop of water and a toothbrush could probably create a great Arko lather I'm not expecting any difficulties here!

Lol.... Toothbrush might be a little scritchy .....

Keep up the reviews!

Great reviews!

Simpsons just make a good product. Never tried pure but if used to brushes with a bit of scratch theirs is probably soft by comparison.

The less dense ones just work very well on soaps, a good mix of hair and air to load easy and get things going. I use my Berkeley very regularly and it's always nice and fuss free. The chubby still get a run but only with cream, the fat Simpsons are are whole other story.

I'd recommend trying their best grade if the prices don't put you off. I think the Berk is around $40 from memory, but a Case would be good too.

Thanks for your thoughts Drubbing. You (or someone else) might be able to suggest where would be a good place to purchase another Simpson. What I'd like:

-Slightly larger than the Special S1
-Best Badger
-Dense
-Around $50AUD

Any thoughts?

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Round 3- face lather with the Arko stick. Have also changed blades to a Rapira (similar to the Voskhod). Once again, no shedding at all. Pretty happy with that.

Surprisingly, my usually perfect Arko lather swan't quite as good as normal- just a little bit too dry. I don't think its due to any fault of the brush though- more a case of it having different water retention properties that the brushes I'm used to. A little bit of extra water on the face and all was well again.

Well, since I only really own three different soaps/creams at present that is the last of the mini review for the moment. I will continue using this brush for the next month or so and post back with longer term impressions. In the short term I can say that I'm very happy with the purchase- it looks great and works well.

Superior Shave list the EXACT measurements of every Simpson they sell, because being a handmade product, they all vary a little. My Berk is easily 3-4 mm shorter than the stated size, but I'm fine with that.

So if you want to be sure of getting something 'as advertised' that's the way to go. You pay more for this though. Personally, I don't think it matters that much, if at all.

I'd still suggest the Berk, or Commodore 1.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I think a Commodore might be what I'm after.

I've heard that Simpson have stopped discounting of their brushes but this place offers free shipping - so seems a little cheaper than most.

Of course, I would offer free shipping on a Somerset Chubby 3 reknotted in Super ...

I've heard that Simpson have stopped discounting of their brushes but this place offers free shipping - so seems a little cheaper than most.

Of course, I would offer free shipping on a Somerset Chubby 3 reknotted in Super ...

Thanks Mark. I admire your persistence with your selling of the reknotted beasties also. If ever you have one for $100 or so I might be interested, but I know what you are currently selling is worth much more than that.

persistence or desperation?

The Somerset has probably cost me in the order of $350. It was a nightmare from the beginning :mad:

It is not whether I will lose money but how much!

There's no interest from the "Big Brush Crew' over at YKW? Would have thought they'd be all over it.

There's no interest from the "Big Brush Crew' over at YKW? Would have thought they'd be all over it.

The joys of the B&B B/S/T. Sometimes your thread can stay on the front page for a week. Other times you get swamped by new threads and are on the second page before the end of the day - into sales hell.

I've had a couple of nibbles but nobody willing to pony up an almost new price for a new re-knot. [sigh]

Prior to this I'd never seen a Chubby 3. Pictures don't do it justice - it is a bloody awesome brush!