Review Soap Commander 'Passion'

JayDee

I have to pretty much agree with everything @Monsta_AU said about the Soap Commander 'Vision'. I had my first shave this morning with the Soap Commander "Passion". Strange name BTW as it smells rather blokey with the wood scents. Anyhoo, I'm no marketing guru :) Speaking of the scent, it is quite pronounced when you sniff the tub but does disappear into the ether once it's lathered up and on your face, or it least it did on my version.

As a weekday shower shaver ( I only have time for the whole over the sink rigmarole on weekends), I used exactly the same routine I've been using with the Shaver Heaven Barber shop soap (which does hold it's scent). I wet my FS Pur-Tech brush and give it squeeze, not a shake, which usually gives me just the right amount of water, load up in the tub, face lather and away I go. It lathered up like a champ but I found it was perhaps a fraction drier than what I was used to but not enough to affect the shave. I still got got a nice slick lather that did the job fine.

To me the two soaps are six of one, half dozen of the other. Both great artisan soaps. I'd buy whichever works out cheaper. I reserve the right to change my opinion after the Soap Commander softens up a little as it is definitely a harder soap than the Shaver Heavens offering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I mentioned in another thread the passion version dried on my face and started cracking the first time I used it. After that I loaded alot more water into it and got a super slick shave. I ended up trading the soap as the spices were causing a rash on my face. The only soap I have ever had do this..

I think I mentioned in another thread the passion version dried on my face and started cracking the first time I used it. After that I loaded alot more water into it and got a super slick shave. I ended up trading the soap as the spices were causing a rash on my face. The only soap I have ever had do this..

No rashes for me but then again I've got a face like a dropped pie so I doubt I'd notice anyway :)

Moved to it's own thread.

If only we could get 'half sized' tubs of this stuff to get double the scents.... there were so many to choose from and I could have easily ordered 6 smaller tubs. The Passion was one on my shortlist which ultimately did not quite make the cut, along with 'Motivation'.

'Respect' and 'Inspiration' also sounded quite tempting.

I purchased this soap in the Soap Commander Group Buy which was diligently overseen by @MrT (thanks for your great work here @MrT). Darren at Soap Commander also is worthy of shout for offering P&C members a sizable discount (a big thanks Darren).

A quick review on Soap Commander's "Passion". I have now used this soap two times (1 x straight & 1 x DE). I have now tried 3 x Soap Commander soaps, Courage, Purpose and now Passion, so my lathering technique with this soap still needs work. I left this soap till last as, let's face it, wet shaving is a man's thing and, well the name "Passion" does not bring images of blokeyness to my mind.

Scent
Of the three Soap Commander soaps I tried, this one smelt the best. Distinctive scent? No, but a very "full" and well-rounded scent that has a manliness about it. A nice timber scent that has a strong sweet tone but no means sickly-sweet. Real strong scent once you wet the soap but once it is washed off so too is the scent.

Lather
This soap has the best and easiest lather of the three used. The lather was was 'full and thick", and after around 10-15 seconds of loading the brush lasts easily 3+ passes. The lather remained moist and did not dry on my face.

Glide/slickness
Very good. Not too slippery allowing me to "feel" and hear the blade of the straight doing it's thing.

The Shave
The proof is in the pudding as they say. I have now used this soap 2 times (1 x straight and 1 x DE). All the shaves were enjoyable with an easily formed lather that has ample glide and stays moist. Nice, smooth and close shave with no nicks using either the straight or DE.

Conclusion (IMO)
Do I recommend this soap; Yes.
Do I like this soap; Yes, yes, yes.
Am I disappointed in this soap; No; well in the name "Passion" yeah. But the soap, no. I really like distinctive scents in my soaps and my nose just couldn't pick up any particular scent but it was this very "full" scent, strong and smelt great that makes it so good. A good manly/outdoor /timber/sweet scent that I can't put my finger on but will definitely be putting in my regular soap rotation. A big "thumbs up" to Darren at Soap Commander.

I got this soap from @Adam and like it too. It's a pleasant scent and solid performer.
Thanks for another top review.

I note these Soap Commander products actually do retain the moisture in the lather quite well as you mention. That's a really good pickup by Dale and I experienced it again this morning. Usually I need to add a couple of drops of water to the brush before the second pass, but this morning I just grabbed the brush and went for a second lathering. Probably saves 30 seconds and with my slow, low caffeine-pressure mornings, well any time saving gets me to coffee quicker (y)

A little cut and paste from my Good Friday SOTD

This is my first foray into Soap Commander soaps and I must say I'm not that impressed. The scent of teakwood and cardamom was quite nice both dry and wet, but the lather - although looking quite promising - I thought was only reasonable. The thickness was there but the protection, very oddly, was found wanting. I thought much the same of the glide - could or should have been great and was not. Post-shave face feel was OK but, again, for a soap containing shea, coconut, castor oil and glycerine I'd have expected better. The hardware used was all smooth but I felt they were carrying the shave today.

Used this soap this morning and a good performer for me with a nice scent. Easy to lather with plenty of protection during the shave. Pairs well with the after shave balm.

To me the two soaps are six of one, half dozen of the other. Both great artisan soaps. I'd buy whichever works out cheaper. I reserve the right to change my opinion after the Soap Commander softens up a little as it is definitely a harder soap than the Shaver Heavens offering.

As a 3 month follow up, I retract this statement. The Shaver Heaven soap is a step above the Soap Commander soap. Both give good lather but the SH soap has better cushion and glide. I find if I want to just touch up an area, there is enough residual slickness from the SH (and my B&M) soap to do the job but with the SC soap, no way, I have to apply more. As usual YMMV...

As a 3 month follow up, I retract this statement. The Shaver Heaven soap is a step above the Soap Commander soap. Both give good lather but the SH soap has better cushion and glide. I find if I want to just touch up an area, there is enough residual slickness from the SH (and my B&M) soap to do the job but with the SC soap, no way, I have to apply more. As usual YMMV...
I found this too. Shaver Heaven is definitely the better shave soap in all departments. Soap Commander is good but in a head to head race Shaver Heaven is the winner by a looooong neck.

SH = Tallow.
SC = Vegan.

Don't get me wrong - SC does an amazing job for the fact it is completely vegan. I can't remember a soap that performs as well with a completely veggie formulation. It's also amazing value for the amount of soap you get with some very good scents and excellent packaging.

It just goes to show that some tallow goes a long way.

SH = Tallow.
SC = Vegan.

Don't get me wrong - SC does an amazing job for the fact it is completely vegan. I can't remember a soap that performs as well with a completely veggie formulation. It's also amazing value for the amount of soap you get with some very good scents and excellent packaging.

It just goes to show that some tallow goes a long way.

Nope. SH = vegan also. Just a better formulation.

There are actually many top artisans using vegan formulas. SC, SH, Catie's Bubbles, PAA...

Glad to hear it MrT. I have some vegan B&M Aromatique coming (the one that is discounted) so I'm sure hoping it's a good brew! I hope it doesn't mean I can't eat steak either anymore

Nope. SH = vegan also. Just a better formulation.
There are actually many top artisans using vegan formulas. SC, SH, Catie's Bubbles, PAA...

I thought SH had some tallow in it also. I know he uses palm oil, which of the veggies give the best possible glide and probably most of the reason why it is so good.

Was previously aware that Caties was vegan. Was unsure about PAA as I haven't actually used it but I have smelled a few of them.

I strongly suspect SH is trialing or at least investigating the use of tallow :)

I also picked up this soap in the group buy organised by @MrT an eternity ago - or at least it seems that way. I've only now finally gotten around to trying it.

Soap can be purchased from http://soapcommander.com/

Ingredients (from website here) - Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Fragrance, Colorant (Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Tin Oxide.)

I've used this for the last three days and the review will follow my standard format borrowed from @silver :)

Packaging
The SC products come in a larger than usual 170g (6oz) size and thus in a larger than usual container. It is deeper than most and with a narrower opening than most. It is not hard to use per se but definitely not as easy as the shallower and wider tubs of some other suppliers. So do you want more (like 50% more) and this container or less in a easier to use container? I don't think I should complain about the container should I :)

The labelling and styling of their products is very 'Star Trek' to my eye and while I would not describe it as 'stylish' or 'classy' that is simply a personal taste thing. I do have some appreciation for the consistency of their whole image across the range. While 'Passion', 'Ambition', 'Gusto' etc might not be my choices for names of shaving products I think they execute this branding strategy off fairly well.

Passion.jpg

Scent
Whether it is because this has been sitting around for a while or because I have a bad cold or both I get nothing - sorry.

Latherability
You can see from the lather I posted (Lather Shots) that you can get some lather out of this little puppy. But I have to admit it doesn't burst forth like some of the other soaps I've been using recently. You need to work to get it going a little.

Shave Performance
This is a good soap with reasonable slickness and glide and a level of protection - but it was just missing something compared to the others I've been using. It seemed to lack 'body' a little.

Post shave feel

My face feels OK post shave, but not with the nourishing feeling that others seem to have left.

Conclusion
I've used some really good soaps recently. This is a good soap, but not a great soap IMHO. If all I had for the rest of my life was SC soaps it would not be the end of the world, but I would prefer to have others. It goes onto my 'second tier' category.

Just a reminder about my shaving soap hypothesis. It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. As I said, this is a 'second tier' soap. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

'Second tier' soaps are good and I would not avoid them or recommend against buying them. Scents and other personal factors may make them more desirable for you and indeed your experience in use may be different as well.

Happy shaving!

It has been suggested that I may started with too much water and not enough product when lathering the SC. This being based on experience that most coconut/stearic acid soaps need far less water than their animal fat counterparts - especially at the beginning.

So I will be giving the SC another run in the morning to see if I can get a better lather out of this baby starting with a dryer brush.

Got to love the way we can always learn more around here!