Stirling Soap Company

Why not wait until it arrives? It seems like a lot of potentially mis-placed worry. IMHO it's no use making noise until you can physically confirm. These companies rely a lot on happy customers and so would assist where they can. But you don't have hard evidence at yet so what can you or they do? Rod's always been generous and helpful in my dealings with him.
Filo, I don't intend to actually do or achieve anything prior to then - I mean it's pretty impossible without actually knowing whats in the box. Like a lot of stuff around here it's more just chattering about whats on one's mind. Rest assured the contact I made with Stirling right from the get go clearly stated that it was almost certainly nothing to worry about - but IMHO it's better to broach things earlier than later.

So I'm not and wasn't looking to do anything more than just have a moan about it (as at face value the weights just don't add up) and wonder if anything similar had happened to anyone else. Like I said I'm very hopeful that it's just a ballsup by the freight/forwarder, which is the more plausible explaination than any.

Had once wrong items in my order from them - got to keep them for free - that's your worst case scenario... never weighed their pucks either, just know the last long :)

Had once wrong items in my order from them - got to keep them for free - that's your worst case scenario... never weighed their pucks either, just know the last long :)
That's what I'm thinking and have heard before. Mistaken orders end up being freebies from shaving companies.

Well FWIW Stirling got back to me today - very helpful said they don't know why the freight forwarder is advising that weight as when it left their hands it was actually 1134g (rather than the 762g FF advised), they apparently weigh and record every package to ensure correct postal fees etc.

Amazing that a freight forwarder, who makes their money from the weight of the item - can't correctly weigh this (and in fact was well under - when I'd if anything expect the opposite!). Go figure.

Well FWIW Stirling got back to me today - very helpful said they don't know why the freight forwarder is advising that weight as when it left their hands it was actually 1134g (rather than the 762g FF advised), they apparently weigh and record every package to ensure correct postal fees etc.

Amazing that a freight forwarder, who makes their money from the weight of the item - can't correctly weigh this (and in fact was well under - when I'd if anything expect the opposite!). Go figure.
Very helpful reply from Stirling. It makes good business sense for them to record and weigh everything. How crazy that the mail forwarders can't get it right!? Especially, as you said, it's what generates their bread-and-butter!!?!

Well FINALLY I received my order from Stirling Soap Company(SSC)! In the end it got from SSC to Boxhop very rapidly.....but then went offgrid for 3-4 weeks while Boxhop did gawd knows what with it.......then finally from Boxhop's freight co to me it moved pretty quickly. Go figure.

Anyway I'll pop some initial thought in here and pop individual reviews on the soaps as I come to use them.

First, the scent/s even through the box, packaging and wrap was overpoweringly strong - not necessarily a bad thing but take the previous most strongly scented soap you've used and quadruple it and you're getting close to the SSC pungency.

I'd dreaded that Boxhop had helped themself to some of the soaps but sure enough all eight were in there.....however based on the experiences of others underwhelmingly not a single sample (but I'll talk that later).

I'd asked SSC to package as compact as possible - and they were pretty good with that - the only thing I'd suggest is it could have done with more packaging/fill inside as the soaps got pretty banged up onroute - but they're soaps so not a big deal at all.

Anyway in no particular order here are a few thoughts based on my initial inspection of my order:

UNDERWEIGHT SOAPS:
Now until yesterday SSC stated that their shaving soaps were "approx 4.7oz (133g) fully cured..." - that last part is pretty important as soap loses water content as it cures and thus decreases in weight. However by stating that their soaps were already FULLY cured - they should be atleast that weight. In my experience it's always better to underpromise and over deliver.

Anyway upon picking up a soap I noticed it felt lighter than I expected. Tried another and again it was surprising light. Cut a long story short after weighing all the soaps on a digital scale I know to be accurated calibrated EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE EIGHT soaps was underweight. Inclusive of the labels/wrapping they ranged up to 18g underweight - which might sound like I'm being picky to some?

Well in total not including the wrappers/labels (which weighed just on 10g) my entire order was around 100g underweight of the advertised 1064g! So nearly missing an entire soap puck!

This was just a PITA as I had to take pix (to support my claim) then email SSC explaining. Anyway the one thing I do give SSC credit for is they make a genuine effort on the Customer Service side - and they replied back within a few hours and refunded $USD6 - which is essentially 1/8 of the cost of my order (sans postage) and therefore essentially equivalent to the '1 missing soap'.

This was their reply to my flagging this issue:
I am sorry for the issue with the weight discrepancies. Our soaps aren't in air tight tins and tubs like the other soaps you mentioned. They are wrapped in a perforated biolefin wrapping that allows them to continue to cure while in the wrapping, so there will be some water loss due to evaporation as the soaps continue to cure, especially in the case of them being in transit for 6 weeks. We cure them to approximately 4.7 ounces, at which point they are wrapped and labeled and put on the shelves. However, I have updated the website to be a better reflection of what the customer can expect.

First, in my contact I'd referenced never having received underweight items in any of my previous orders from artisan soap makers, which is true. With Mike's I got the bars and he referenced them as 4-5oz but they were all actually over 5oz.

Essentially SSC is putting the blame for the weight discrepancy on the soaps losing water content AFTER they've been packaged. Now I do NOT doubt this is possibly true HOWEVER until yesterday and when I bought them they were sold as FULLY CURED ~4.7oz - so clearly they were sold not fully cured.

Clearly my remarks resonated as they immediately changed their website so that it now instead states:
...and weighs approximately 125 grams (may vary slightly based on cure time).

Which again now essentially concedes that the soaps are not necessarily fully cured before shipping - I'd imagine they go out in an ON NEED basis - and more popular stuff is prolly not cured whereas something less popular might sit on the shelf for a while longer and thus be fully cured.

All this kinda surprises me as all soaps generally perform BETTER when fully cured and soap makers will have a very accurate idea of the % water loss the soap will incur prior to reaching a fully cured state - hence simple maths to ensure that if you want a 133g fully cured product you ensure that you're cutting say a 146g just made one (for say 10% loss of weight).

I do think this was a genuine mistake by SSC, as their email reply came across as very genuine and they changed the website LITERALLY IMMEDIATELY - so as annoying as it was I was satisfied with their efforts.

LISTED INGREDIENTS DIFFERENCES:
As you may suspect I've a pretty good eye for detail and I also noticed that the ingredients listed on the rear of each of my eight soaps differed from that shown on SSC's website. Nothing major and not a bad thing IMHO - but assuming the actual soap labels are correct they've added Shea Butter to their soaps and changed the % of some of their other components.

I flagged this clearly stating I was only doing so to assist them in another email this morning, no reply yet.

Shea butter should assist the post shave qualities - definitely a positive thing. From what I've heard SSC is onto their 6/7th generation soap base formula so I guess they just forgot to update the website. Again not a big issue and I'm definitely happy knowing they've now got Shea butter in them.

SAMPLES (Lack thereof):
First and to eliminate me sounding like some greedy/complainer wanting freebies let me quote part of the feedback gave to SSC on this (which was annoying as I'd just had the short weight issue and I hated that flagging this made me sound bitter and clutchng at straws, which wasn't true):
Also whilst this isn't an actual complaint as I completely understand its a discretionary thing and as such entirely up to you - but after ordering eight soaps at normal/full prices I was a tad disappointed not to have gotten even a single sample.

Lets face it shaving product and particularly soap sellers very often toss in samples. And I know from looking up whether to order from SSC everyone seemed to get atleast a few samples - I think someone here on a pretty small order got 3 sample pucks? So on a much larger order at a non-sale time where you're paying full price I think it's reasonable to expect that you might have a few samples included.

Now FWIW I wasn't chasing them for myself - as I'm kinda flush with soaps but rather for you guys as this is verbatim what I stated WITH MY ORIGINAL ORDER and SSC even printed this out and enclosed it with my order, so they were aware of it:
The weight is not so much the issue but rather the size - haha so any samples of other soaps etc greatly welcomed and I will share with other members in our forums travelling box (an annual event at P&C)! Heard absolutely great things about your products and business ethos, and would love to give your products full reviews on Australia's #1 shaving forum (Paste & Cut)

The reply I got from SSC when I flagged this (which I stated to them was purely feedback and NOT a complaint!):
As for the free sample, I was working under your request to keep the soaps in the smallest package possible. I am sorry this was such an issue. Please accept my apologies.

Again I can only assume they were rushed and perhaps didn't read the actual order notes/request fully or similar. So sorry but I did try and get something for P&C. (n)

FIRMNESS OF SOAPS:
I'm an unabashed fan of hard/firm soaps and well I kind of assumed as these were being sold in pucks they'd be along this line. WRONG, my gawd they're soooooooooo soft. There's no doubt about it they can be classified as CROAPS.

Generally the pucks will be firmer on the outside where they've cured more - but when I put them into the 250ml plastic containers I'd bought and pressed them down their true texture was quickly evident. As a general rule of thumb think playdough, very slightly chilled margarine etc. Personal preference but I was disappointed in this.

Can't blame SSC for this and look it MIGHT be a very good thing as they've possibly superfatted the heck out of their soap. Hard soap isn't GOOD soap, I'm not that naive. But it's just something to be aware of as all the soaps were about the same.

LUMPS IN SOAPS:
It remains to be seen if this one is much of an issue or just aesthetics - but several of the soaps - most specifically the Barbershop and Cocoa Forest - have a LOT of semi-hard slightly crystalline lumps in them. They are throughout the soap very heavily and differ in size from a grain of rice to some about a pea. They're able to be crushed between your fingers with a little squeezing and seem to have a different colour to that of the rest of the soap. I think I will push my luck and just ask SSC if thats normal.

I can only speculate about them at this point and as such out of fairness to SSC I would prefer not to until I get clarification. However it's not a nice look/feel, they seem like they'd be impossible to load and just stay as lumps and from my reading on soap making comes across as a possibley negative thing.

Anyway I'm bushed from all that so I'll do some feedback on each of the scents (in jar only, as can differ in shaving use) later. :sick:

Last edited:
Wow. It's turned into quite a saga. (Worse than a bad TV soapie?!)

So glad to hear your soap arrived. I thought the nasty BoxHop had made your soap disappear!?!

Seems like there is some validity to your claims (most people wouldn't be as thorough as you). But also some misunderstanding and typical small business dramas/issues. Would have thought it would have been picked up on by now. Good to hear they quickly have sought to work things out.

Gosh, it's hard being a small business owner! (And for niche products as well!!?!)

I've run a few businesses and as alluded to one of the best principles I found is 'Underpromised, overdeliver' as while a customer might be ok waiting the till the next day to pick up their items, they'll be irrate if you tell then they'll be ready in 1hr but take much more than that! Etc etc it's Business 101 stuff.

And I'm researching how to make soaps, purely bath stuff - NOT shaving - and so the whole fully cured claim that I bought the eight soaps under the basis of but then to be told - oh they're still curing so have lost weight in transit clearly isn't compatible.

If the SSC soaps perform great all will be forgiven, you know it's just one of those PITA things that a lot of folks perhaps wouldn't pick up or or perhaps care about, but like I said when you have bought eight soaps at full/non-sale prices and ended up down ~100g in weight I think thats unacceptable - Boxhop are to be avoided at all costs and as such are in a different sport (forget different ballpark or league!)!

Bit worried about all these lumps though - my very limited soap making knowledge makes me think either it's lye solution issues or seizing from their fragrance oils. Anyway waiting on reply to that.

Hooray it came! That would have been a surprise!

For all the negatives, it's certainly better than you thought - $70 down the toilet. Look forward to the reviews.

Perhaps they didn't put a sample in because you ordered all their soaps already and they had nothing left to add ;)

First of all very glad you finally received you box, I guess that's definitely the most important part!

I guess you are very thorough - and that is great. Usually when I get stuff in the post, I just want to use it - so very glad someone is taking the time to weight and analyse them completely.

I think the lack of samples is truly due to your order, that he should pack as light and compact as possible - imagine you have to pay 15$ extra in postage for a 2$ sample.

The small lumps: noticed them from time to time as well - but never thought about it - its an artisan product right ;) Never gave me any issues though...

The time factor and weight are definitely big issues. They always rectify these problems straight away with refunds - as in your case - but still, I don't want to start weighing my soaps.

They are still fantastic value for money, but you still want to get what you paid for.

I also don't like the not updated ingredients list. This should definitely be advertised all over the page. Changing the formula...why? If you have a great product. Its cool to offer a new product (like their sheep line), but also keep the other ones...

Anyway: I think the biggest problem is, that they are growing very fast and might have problems keeping up. I think they are only 2, have a huge product line and definitely great prices - let's see how it will develop.

Now to the fun part though: get your favorite scent and do a Marco - lather for a while on the puck (be really generous), before building it on your face and hopefully: ENJOY!

Thanks for the replies gents.

@alfredus , hmmm I don't think you'd need or want to load for long - like I said mine are VERY soft and I think a few swirls would pick up more than ample product. Is yours that soft at normal room temp? e.g soft play dough.

RE: Lumps - artisan does mean irregularities between batches which I'm 100% cool with but hardish lumps in a soap IS NOT normal. Anyway no reply yet so we'll see.

RE: ingredients list - heck pal they update the stuff that goes into all manner of products so something as variable as shaving soap is a no brainer to fiddle with. It's just plain shoddy not to update the list on your website, especially when people are ordering the product almost exclusively through there - as allergies etc are real for many of us. Kinda surprised as literally NONE of their shaving soaps reflect this change in ingredients and yet ALL of mine had it printed on them. I assume and expect the change in formula to be a good thing, so no complaints from me - again I haven't got any reply back to my prompting them about this so call me needy but a 'thanks for the heads up' would be nice.

I assume yours didn't show shea butter as an ingredient?

RE: weight - haha heck man I don't WANT to go weighing my shaving soaps either. But like I said and I've no reason to lie here but across eight soaps I was down nearly an entire soap. I don't think it's a big ask for vendors to be accurate with their specified amounts of product - very basic expectation. Plus as I said they specified it as being SOLD AS FULLY CURED - and that clearly was not the case. Actions speak louder than words and that wording is now magically gone.

I hate to be THAT GUY but if it ain't true don't say it (meant to SSC not yourself (y)). If we're straight talking they actively promoted their product as ~4.7oz fully cured as a lot of people understand what that means and therefore are able to deduce it's very good value at price/weight. In their FAQ's they actually refer to their value multiple times. Haha well the value kinda diminishes if the soap isn't actually fully cured and therefore is in my case up to 13% below it's promoted size.

Actions speak louder than my words and they changed their website's wording within the couple of hours I sent my email and checking the reply - if they felt,"This is a non-issue" etc they'd have not acted so uber quickly - so to me that says they clearly thought, Oops!

RE: Samples - like I said I HATED to flag this with them - I really did. But heck when I placed the order I thought "I bet they'll possibly get the parcel size issue mixed around with the weight and NOT give me samples." I really did, hence I went to the lengths of specifying as I quoted earlier saying that the weight was NOT an issue and samples would be welcomed. I mean dunno what more I could have said and the box they sent them in had loads of capacity left - so it wasn't a case of keeping it smaller. It's just an attention to detail slip - it'd have been nice to have gotten a few as it seems de rigueur but I can't complain as it's a vendor discretion thing ...c'est la vie.

Anyway I'm going to pop up some thoughts on the scents and hopefully get around to using them soon enough. :)

Hmm...is it a problem if the soap isnt fully cured when you use it?
Based on my admittedly limited knowledge (basically reading a half dozen or so books on soap making) the answer is yes but depends on what you define as a problem and also how the soap is made.

Generally it just won't perform quite as well and will also be overly soft meaning it generally won't last as long. Google search is prolly one's best bet if you're super keen on it, I don't think it's a major issue but it's less than desireable as it is common knowledge that with cold processed soap (whcih I believe SSC's are) it's strongly recommended to be patient and wait for a full cure as the soap performs a lot better, that amongst other reasons partially explains why hot process soaps are becoming more popular with vendors, as they can sell them as ready to use almost the very next day vs 6-10weeks cure time for CP. Bottomline is that if a vendor says it is fully cured but then wants to blame short weight because it's NOT fully cured ....well ya can't have it both ways. :)

Beauty of buying stuff as a want, rather than an immediate need, is you can afford for it to sit around for a few weeks/months to further cure ;)

Beauty of buying stuff as a want, rather than an immediate need, is you can afford for it to sit around for a few weeks/months to further cure ;)
This might work sometimes - but once the soap is put into plastic containers etc it won't cure anymore unless you leave it lying around with the lid off for weeks.

FWIW got a reply RE: the ingredients and also the lumps in the soaps, it reads:
Thank you for the heads up on the discrepancies on the ingredients list. I will try to have the website updated this weekend. As for the lumps in the soap, it is a normal part of the curing process. Prior to being poured, the very top part of the soap will harden as the water evaporates from the portion exposed to the air fastest. Right before pouring, I add in the mixture of glycerin and scenting oils, and stir the soap once more. The hardened top portion gets broken up in the mid and poured in. It is soap just like the rest, and will lather and dissipate as the soap is used.

I appreciate they said thanks for the heads up, if they hadn't I'd be shitted off. The lumps makes total sense and based on that they'd not be an issue at all. So all good on those fronts.

SOAP REVIEW - SSC Sharp Dressed Man

NB: Soap had been used once prior to shot.
SSC's DESCRIPTION:
Patterned after the famous Green Irish Tweed scent that was created for Cary Grant. This scent has been put to use by men like Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood, meaning this is what real men smell like, whether they're stepping out in a tuxedo like Redford, or making a canoe out of someone's forehead like Eastwood. I feel more masculine when I use this.

TEXTURE: Of my eight SSC soaps this was one of the middle of the road firmness ones, still very soft and you have to take care when loading not to get too much on brush.

SCENT: First off it's a very cologne oriented scent as opposed to an essential oil one - but thats well explained in the sales blurb and I don't see it as a negative as EO's are necessarily any more skin friendly etc. The second thing I'd point out is it's very pleasant and my wife immediately commented on it. Perhaps skewed to slightly more mature demographics but I don't think many would feel it not a good choice. Masculine but not too overt, it has a good subtleness but lingers nicely after use.

Prolly works best in colder months but wouldn;t be an issue to use year round. IMHO far superior to the Jermyn St's etc from the TOBS range. Refined, controlled and would work well with either other very subtly scented products or would require careful matching - lest the scents clash.

LATHER: As stated in my SOTD thoughts I used a Plisson Synth with it - shook it pretty dry and loaded quite lightly (others had said you have to use a LOT of SSC product to get a good lather but I was dubious about that).

Being that it's very soft (even as a mid-firmness one in these 8 it's by FAR the softest soap I've yet used!) so I didn't have to load for long, ~10sec and very light pressure. All the tips of the Plisson were pale from the soap.

Face lathered. You have to be careful not to add too much water early and only add when you can hear the lather is thick and needs more water addded. It did take a lot longer get to my preferred lather level than say my CRSW or Mike's - I'd say 2-3 times longer, was quite a bit thirstier as well.

HOWEVER it did appear to give a VERY slick lather. Your classic very dense, micro-lather that looks a tad like yogurt. Excellent glide, good density to it as well so the cushion was very good.

I might have had the most minute bit of irritation from it - had a tiny tingling but again that could just be that it was used with a blade on it's 4th usage!

Post shave was very good, my skin felt plump and very pleasant.....not quite as good a post-shave as my benchmark for this, which is Mike's but right up there just a smidge behind.

OVERALL: Excellent soap, I feel the scent will be welcomed by the vast majority of gents and almost all of their partners - which is always a welcome fringe benefit. Lather is excellent but a lil tricky - I'd not be at all surprised if folks with boars and low end badgers had a terrible time lathering this. Very good shaving performance and the scent will linger on you to a reasonable degree for several hours. The only gripe I have is with how soft it is (which I feel will be a constant one with the SSC soaps) but with this very good performance and scent I'll happily put up with that.

So glad you are happy with the soap! As I said on my SOTD review: Mike's might win the post-shave contest by a bit, but Stirling makes up for it in the glide.

As for lather building: it's very funny, but when I had only boars, Stirling was so much easier to lather for me than Mike's. Now that I know both and am used to all kinds of brushes, I wouldn't know which one is harder to lather...but then I like to overload anyway :)

I have a sample of this and enjoy the scent a lot. I also got the sample-sized balm with the same scent.

I don't recall my little puck being as soft as yours. Perhaps a formula change? (Added Shea butter didn't you say earlier?)

I'll have to try the Plisson with it as I've only used a natural hair brush with the strongly scented Stirling.