Store finally open

Why don't you special WA folks combine an order and get free shipping ?
I think they have moved on to talk about car insurance. Sadly, if you want daylight robbery for car insurance @Drubbing you best move to Sydney. I tell you, you would mortgage your house (if you could afford one) just to pay for annual car insurance... [emoji24]

That implies that we need stuff. I don't. I doubt Drubbing is gagging for much and all the other regular WAers have more or less disconnected.

Yeah, funny how at the beginning it was very 'Westie', and I'm including @gthomas04 in that ;), and now we are more sensitive, artisanal shavers :D.

'The Store' is definitely focussing on that market with harder to obtain items at prices comparable to those of buying overseas and having it shipped here - IF we could being the issue on some items.

Given the rise and fall of a few other Aussie e-tailers with a broader approach I think I would do that same - a good business strategy.

Of course if you DON'T want all this sort of stuff the store is, well, a little ho hum I presume!

I can see the type of buyer they're catering for. It remains to be seen if it's a viable market. Plenty of 'mainstream' DE stores selling the usual brands gone to the wall.

I can see the type of buyer they're catering for. It remains to be seen if it's a viable market.

True that but ...

Plenty of 'mainstream' DE stores selling the usual brands gone to the wall.

... which is my point.

Holding stock across a large range of products is expensive and has proven to not be a great business model. If you are holding 10 of each of the 10 (say) TOBS varieties the people buying those will buy one, maybe two each a year. There might be more of them but ...

Conversely if you hold 10 of five different artisan soaps the buyers of these are all likely to buy 5 - 10 a year. Possibly a recipe for much greater stock turn and profit.

Viable? We shall see, but if the initial experience is anything to go by I think it might be.

Anyway, better start buying before my sabbatical ...

Holding stock across a large range of products is expensive and has proven to not be a great business model. If you are holding 10 of each of the 10 (say) TOBS varieties the people buying those will buy one, maybe two each a year. There might be more of them but ...

A reasonable assumption.

Conversely if you hold 10 of five different artisan soaps the buyers of these are all likely to buy 5 - 10 a year. Possibly a recipe for much greater stock turn and profit.

A very unreasonable assumption. They might buy 2-3 max. This sort of person is also buying lots of stuff elsewhere. There are also far less of these people. They are a tiny niche within an already niche market.

A very unreasonable assumption. They might buy 2-3 max. This sort of person is also buying lots of stuff elsewhere. There are also far less of these people. They are a tiny niche within an already niche market.

Certainly we are talking about a niche of a niche BUT I'me also thinking of the stats around things like gambling where a very small proportion account for the vast majority of the turnover.

I think it will be the same here. The 'shave addicts' will keep this place going and will buy 5-10 soaps a year :)

We shall see though.

Just placed my first order with Con @shavetheman .
Nice to deal with and chat to, also a bonus to do it the old fashioned way of over the phone.
One pallet of Alt Innesbruck on its way to my work :)

I think it will be the same here. The 'shave addicts' will keep this place going and will buy 5-10 soaps a year :)

We shall see though.

I've only got about 5 soaps and can't make a dent in them. Except the BM, which despite occasional use seem to disappear faster than anything else.

Good to see this store is finally open and carrying a few quality artisan brands at quite reasonable prices when considering overseas orders and shipping costs. Currently there isn't much to interest me as I already have much of what I want but I'll keep my eye on the shop for new additions and support the business when I can.

I think the B&M loads better generally, there is a reason why you get the lather you do.

Anyway, my order arrived and the packaging was simply top notch. While it was not gift-wrapped, I would have had no hesiatation to order as a gift and put the delivery point direct to the person. It was an experience to open it!

Those sort of touches set a vendor apart. I hope they can keep it up.

I really wish Con all the best for his store and really hope it succeeds. But I also fear the market is not large enough for such a store in Australia...and with AusFarce he might be able to ship to NZ, but no other market would remotely be viable.

I can remember how long it took to get a group order for a meagre 30 tubs of B&M together...

If he can maintain the volume he has had since opening, i don't think there will be a problem. He sold out of the Reef Point Soaps Earl Grey & Ginger within 24 hours. That said, I am not sure if he had 5, 10 or 50 units in stock.

Regardless of the opening stocked amounts, I know some guys are holding back on oldering as they are waiting for the Aftershaves and Colognes to arrive. Considering that Mensbiz can open two new, high-rent stores in the last 12 months in Melbourne & Sydney.... and I am sure Con can carve out his own market with the quite different products.