suds sampling: select and score

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
OK my samples have gotten out of control....more specifically you guys, esp. @SydBJW "the Sudsman", are too generous. I got to be more disciplined about getting through these samples....and no reason this can't also prove constructive. So here's what I propose:
1. I'll list all the samples I have (and will add as samples come onboard).
2. You nominate a soap you are most curious about.
3. I use that soap for no less than 3 consecutive shaves in a row.
4. I post a review of each soap based on the same criteria (e.g., scent, ease to lather, protection, glide, post-shave feel)
5. After my test process, it's your turn and the sample goes to the nominee for a comparative 3-shave review.
Caveat: if you nominate a soap you must be prepared to test it for 3 consecutive shaves and post a review (photos aren't obligatory, but neither discouraged).

Whaddya reckon?

Sounds good... Will be interesting to see if the people testing have aligned views to yours.
That, my friend, is highly unlikely.

But you raise a great point re: equivalency. Be good to share common criteria. I have already proposed:
  • scent,
  • ease to lather,
  • protection,
  • glide,
  • post-shave feel
Maybe with a shorthand rating of 1-10 or something and then a rating overall and/or key Pro and Con? Anything else?

Just thinking aloud here folks, what works for others?

I am interested in your views on the soaps

But you raise a great point re: equivalency. Be good to share common criteria. I have already proposed:
  • scent,
  • ease to lather,
  • protection,
  • glide,
  • post-shave feel
Maybe with a shorthand rating of 1-10 or something and then a rating overall and/or key Pro and Con? Anything else?

Maybe while you're at it, make a spreadsheet to keep track of samples and reviews... LOL [emoji38]

I reckon just keep it simple: keep it or bin it. [emoji6]

Maybe while you're at it, make a spreadsheet to keep track of samples and reviews... LOL [emoji38]

I reckon just keep it simple: keep it or bin it. [emoji6]
You surprise me @filobiblic ....at times you out Mark @Mark1966 , at others you become all loose and supple, footloose, fancy-free.

I like it!

• scent,
  • ease to lather,
  • protection,
  • glide,
  • post-shave feel

I think these are the 5 criteria of soaps we could discuss the order though and I also think that scent is very subjective and ease of lathering overrated - but that might be subjective as well :D

Alright, finally did a stocktake. Rather than simply lay out a full list of my samples, I opted for a representative spread of what's in the drawers.

• Tim's Breakfast of Champions
  • Tim's Greek Peach
  • Tim's Hybrid
  • Tim's Blue Suit
  • Wet Shaving Products Ole Kentucky
  • Wet Shaving Products Pumpkin Spice
  • Barrister & Mann Adagio
  • Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe
  • Washpool V.2
  • Washpool v.3
  • Razorock Holy Cannoli
  • Shave Revolution The Connoisseur B-Street .009
  • Italian Barber L'Americano
  • ShaverHeaven Fresh
  • ShaverHeaven Forbidden Forest v.1 (this is special, this is where@Anthony began)
  • Vito's Original
  • Catie's Bubbles Black Bergamot
  • La Toja shaving stick

So c'mon fellas what would you like to see reviewed over the course of a week (so no less than three consecutive shaves), by me and then by you? Could prove interesting....

...almost all Vegan :(

But here we go:
Catie's Bubbles Black Bergamot

I know that WSP Ole Kentucky is the new tallow formula.

Pretty sure the shave revolution is also a tallow soap.

No ARKO!!! ?
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?
:)

This could be real fun, anyone got C&E to send ?
Col Conk while at it :)
Latest formula Williams.
Most artisan olive oil soaps.
@stillshunter regretting this idea yet ? :p
BTW, Note I've not suggested one for you to try, yet inquired as to why these are not upon your list, so no deal in palming them off to me ;)

No ARKO!!! ?
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?
:)

This could be real fun, anyone got C&E to send ?
Col Conk while at it :)
Latest formula Williams.
Most artisan olive oil soaps.
@stillshunter regretting this idea yet ? :p
BTW, Note I've not suggested one for you to try, yet inquired as to why these are not upon your list, so no deal in palming them off to me ;)

No No, No, NO, NO!
...the idea here is to use the samples I currently have, I certainly don't need more. I am happy for others to do the same - i.e., you front up your samples and review selected ones - god forbid like arko - and others (including me) share in the pleasure (or pain) but please, oh please folks for the love of humanity, no more samples (for the moment)!

OK fellas, one down - well will be when I shave within an hour or so - and many, many more to go.
  • Tim's Breakfast of Champions
  • Tim's Greek Peach
  • Tim's Hybrid
  • Tim's Blue Suit
  • Wet Shaving Products Ole Kentucky
  • Wet Shaving Products Pumpkin Spice
  • Barrister & Mann Adagio
  • Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe
  • Washpool V.2
  • Washpool v.3
  • Razorock Holy Cannoli
  • Shave Revolution The Connoisseur B-Street .009
  • Italian Barber L'Americano
  • ShaverHeaven Fresh
  • ShaverHeaven Forbidden Forest v.1 (this is special, this is where@Anthony began)
  • Vito's Original
  • Catie's Bubbles Black Bergamot @alfredus
  • La Toja shaving stick

So what's next, anyone interested in making the selection and making the score.