Supply Provisions Single Edge Pass Around with PIF

d859071ee1951966a1d55b57284fded1.jpg

shave #5 (aka the final shave)

so I finish where I started with the Two Dot plate.
so I finish where I started with a great shave.

Apologies to @SydBJW , as I'd promised to try out one of the Whisper in the Woods samples that he kindly sent my way, but I had to round off the testing - mate the soap has a date with the R41 and Bren next week - promise(y) . But I'd expected more from my shave with MWF and the One Dot yesterday so I just had to know whether the Supply Provisions razor married well with lustrous Fat lather.

Short version: 'king oath it does!

Long version: big thanks to @nsavage for parting with this brush. I feared at first that the small handle and dense small knot was going to be a revisit to the Simpsons Duke 2.
Oh how I wanted to love that brush.
Oh how disappointed I was in that brush.
...I know it's not the brush, it's me, but bottom line is that contrary to all the hype we didn't agree on it being "the best face latherer in the business"
This Edwin Jagger silvertip might look a little like a Duke but it's a Prince! Soft tips, generous facial footprint, great flow-through, nice backbone. I admit I was being a little sneaky and setting it up to fail against a soap as hard as MWF. A soap that sobs in the face of a Semogue. But the EJ did a superb job. Gently coaxing a lather rather than scrubbing it from the skin of the soap.

So nice luxurious lather, and the Supply Provisions was just like a Ski-Doo through freshly fallen snow, just carved through...leaving nothing but two trails snaking in its wake. A funny phenomenon this! Three passes and BBS@95%. Got two pops, but I feel they might have been more about user zealousness. But the best shave yet!

In closing my impressions of the Supply Provisions razor:
Finish and feel - although smooth not slippery. Love the groove that travels down the shaft. Great for ATG grip.
Aesthetic - not my cuppa. Its lines are a little too modern and clean for my liking. I'm more Art Deco (think GEM and straights) than Phillipe Starck or Ikea.
Loading - a doddle
Weight - a mixed bag. Generous but oddly distributed. Works in its favour for some passes and against it with some other approaches.
Shave - One Dot: hmmm...., Three Dots: arghhh..., Two Dots: oh yeahhhhh

Q: Would I buy one?
A: most tempted by a basic Two Dot "Classic" package. Like VERY!

Q: Would I accept the PIF?
A: most graciously

Big thanks to @alfredus for the opportunity to test....not only the razor but my resolve in avoiding the temptation of buying one of my own.

Now off to the sunnier climes with @Anthony Hunter

d859071ee1951966a1d55b57284fded1.jpg

shave #5 (aka the final shave)

so I finish where I started with the Two Dot plate.
so I finish where I started with a great shave.

Apologies to @SydBJW , as I'd promised to try out one of the Whisper in the Woods samples that he kindly sent my way, but I had to round off the testing - mate the soap has a date with the R41 and Bren next week - promise(y) . But I'd expected more from my shave with MWF and the One Dot yesterday so I just had to know whether the Supply Provisions razor married well with lustrous Fat lather.

Short version: 'king oath it does!

Long version: big thanks to @nsavage for parting with this brush. I feared at first that the small handle and dense small knot was going to be a revisit to the Simpsons Duke 2.
Oh how I wanted to love that brush.
Oh how disappointed I was in that brush.
...I know it's not the brush, it's me, but bottom line is that contrary to all the hype we didn't agree on it being "the best face latherer in the business"
This Edwin Jagger silvertip might look a little like a Duke but it's a Prince! Soft tips, generous facial footprint, great flow-through, nice backbone. I admit I was being a little sneaky and setting it up to fail against a soap as hard as MWF. A soap that sobs in the face of a Semogue. But the EJ did a superb job. Gently coaxing a lather rather than scrubbing it from the skin of the soap.

So nice luxurious lather, and the Supply Provisions was just like a Ski-Doo through freshly fallen snow, just carved through...leaving nothing but two trails snaking in its wake. A funny phenomenon this! Three passes and BBS@95%. Got two pops, but I feel they might have been more about user zealousness. But the best shave yet!

In closing my impressions of the Supply Provisions razor:
Finish and feel - although smooth not slippery. Love the groove that travels down the shaft. Great for ATG grip.
Aesthetic - not my cuppa. Its lines are a little too modern and clean for my liking. I'm more Art Deco (think GEM and straights) than Phillipe Starck or Ikea.
Loading - a doddle
Weight - a mixed bag. Generous but oddly distributed. Works in its favour for some passes and against it with some other approaches.
Shave - One Dot: hmmm...., Three Dots: arghhh..., Two Dots: oh yeahhhhh

Q: Would I buy one?
A: most tempted by a basic Two Dot "Classic" package. Like VERY!

Q: Would I accept the PIF?
A: most graciously

Big thanks to @alfredus for the opportunity to test....not only the razor but my resolve in avoiding the temptation of buying one of my own.

Now off to the sunnier climes with @Anthony Hunter
Great review @stillshunter and glad you are enjoying the brush.

Ladies and gents, package has arrived, kudos to Stills for sending express post, even to this little backwater called Townsville it was only one day for delivery. Anyway opened the well packaged box and it revealed a space age piece of metal with all these white boxes. Once open and layed out it makes sense. I followed the instructions and loaded a blade easily enough, a more detailed review to follow. My wife oohed and aaahed over it, so it must be good right. I have no idea how to post photos to my Mac so the review will be written only, i am on the single dot first and will work my way through.

Ladies and gents, package has arrived, kudos to Stills for sending express post, even to this little backwater called Townsville it was only one day for delivery. Anyway opened the well packaged box and it revealed a space age piece of metal with all these white boxes. Once open and layed out it makes sense. I followed the instructions and loaded a blade easily enough, a more detailed review to follow. My wife oohed and aaahed over it, so it must be good right. I have no idea how to post photos to my Mac so the review will be written only, i am on the single dot first and will work my way through.

Great news mate (y)

Was a little concerned about them using Cobb & Co out your way but the bullock trains did awright.

Evening Ladies and Gents, its a balmy old night in ye olde Townsville town. Couple of TEDS down range, time for a review.
Once again thanks to Stills for passing on this razor; and an even bigger shout out to Alfredus for giving people the opportunity to try this.

To quantify this review, i have never touched, seen or used a SE razor before so i was going in blind with this, however, i read all the reviews and comments from back to front to get some familiarity about this razor. I have no idea how to post photos so unfortunately no pics.

Firstly the packaging; well packaged in a great box with all the individual bits in individual boxes. A good professional look that caught the eye straight away. The razor looks fantastic in a space age'ey kind of way, not dissimilar to my Ikon 102 Slant.

I was going to start googling how to load the blade, no need though, the instructions that came with it were more than enough and i had a new blade loaded in a jiffy.

I decided to use the one dot plate first and then work my way progressively through.

For each shave i had an extra days growth. (except for the second shave with the 2 dot)

So first shave in, i once again used my tried and true Kiss (keep it simple stupid) method to reduce the variables when introducing a new piece of hardware. I used my trusty Smog 620 and my Shaver Heaven "Forbidden Forest" which are always my go-to when trying out new stuff. Once again the lather was impeccable and i was ready to go.
The first pass on the one dot was very surprising, smooth to the point of making me wonder if i actually had a blade in the razor, i had to look at the razor to make sure. A couple of passes later i got the desired effect, weirdly this razor acted a bit like an open comb and left a fair bit of product on the face, unfortunately it did not do a very good job of removing the hair and i needed quite a few passes to get what i was after, this left me with a lot of irritation post shave and gave me nowhere near a BBS let alone a DFS. I cut the one dot away and did not shave with it again.

Next shave was the two dot, changing the plates was easy and once again loading the blade was a breeze, i had an extra days growth for this plate. This time around i had a much better shave, not sure if i nailed the right angle or if it is just a better plate, either way, smooth and very close, damn near good to a BBS with no irritation, very happy with the 2 dot plate.
I used the 2 dot plate for my next shave the next day, once again no problem, a pleasure to shave with.

Next one i used was the 3 dot, and from all accounts the most aggressive, once again, an extra day of growth. This was not too bad, it looked a little like Freddie Kruger had been over for a party, weepers everywhere with my son looking on horrified as i was spraying blood all over the bathroom, probably has something to do with me being on blood thinners, lucky the zombie apocalypse has not made it to Townsville yet, they would have been on my doorstep for sure. Needless to say i found this the most aggressive plate; still felt more comfortable than the the one dot though. I only shaved with this the once. The three dot actually reminded me of shaving with my Red Tip, similar characteristics.

In conclusion this is not a bad shaver to use, i doubt if it would replace any shavers in my current rotation, if it did it would probably be my Ikon Slant, however it is not something i would readily buy. If this razor was set up differently with the 2 dot plate as a permanent fixture this thing would be a fantastic razor, i think that the one dot is pretty null and void, the 3 dot is a little over the top for the average user who is possibly not experienced with a smidge more aggressive razor.

So for me, i will concede defeat on the PIF, thanks for the opportunity to give it a crack.

Razor is now clean and sterilised and ready for the next candidate, not sure who that is as i was the last perp on the list.

Evening Ladies and Gents, its a balmy old night in ye olde Townsville town. Couple of TEDS down range, time for a review.
Once again thanks to Stills for passing on this razor; and an even bigger shout out to Alfredus for giving people the opportunity to try this.

To quantify this review, i have never touched, seen or used a SE razor before so i was going in blind with this, however, i read all the reviews and comments from back to front to get some familiarity about this razor. I have no idea how to post photos so unfortunately no pics.

Firstly the packaging; well packaged in a great box with all the individual bits in individual boxes. A good professional look that caught the eye straight away. The razor looks fantastic in a space age'ey kind of way, not dissimilar to my Ikon 102 Slant.

I was going to start googling how to load the blade, no need though, the instructions that came with it were more than enough and i had a new blade loaded in a jiffy.

I decided to use the one dot plate first and then work my way progressively through.

For each shave i had an extra days growth. (except for the second shave with the 2 dot)

So first shave in, i once again used my tried and true Kiss (keep it simple stupid) method to reduce the variables when introducing a new piece of hardware. I used my trusty Smog 620 and my Shaver Heaven "Forbidden Forest" which are always my go-to when trying out new stuff. Once again the lather was impeccable and i was ready to go.
The first pass on the one dot was very surprising, smooth to the point of making me wonder if i actually had a blade in the razor, i had to look at the razor to make sure. A couple of passes later i got the desired effect, weirdly this razor acted a bit like an open comb and left a fair bit of product on the face, unfortunately it did not do a very good job of removing the hair and i needed quite a few passes to get what i was after, this left me with a lot of irritation post shave and gave me nowhere near a BBS let alone a DFS. I cut the one dot away and did not shave with it again.

Next shave was the two dot, changing the plates was easy and once again loading the blade was a breeze, i had an extra days growth for this plate. This time around i had a much better shave, not sure if i nailed the right angle or if it is just a better plate, either way, smooth and very close, damn near good to a BBS with no irritation, very happy with the 2 dot plate.
I used the 2 dot plate for my next shave the next day, once again no problem, a pleasure to shave with.

Next one i used was the 3 dot, and from all accounts the most aggressive, once again, an extra day of growth. This was not too bad, it looked a little like Freddie Kruger had been over for a party, weepers everywhere with my son looking on horrified as i was spraying blood all over the bathroom, probably has something to do with me being on blood thinners, lucky the zombie apocalypse has not made it to Townsville yet, they would have been on my doorstep for sure. Needless to say i found this the most aggressive plate; still felt more comfortable than the the one dot though. I only shaved with this the once. The three dot actually reminded me of shaving with my Red Tip, similar characteristics.

In conclusion this is not a bad shaver to use, i doubt if it would replace any shavers in my current rotation, if it did it would probably be my Ikon Slant, however it is not something i would readily buy. If this razor was set up differently with the 2 dot plate as a permanent fixture this thing would be a fantastic razor, i think that the one dot is pretty null and void, the 3 dot is a little over the top for the average user who is possibly not experienced with a smidge more aggressive razor.

So for me, i will concede defeat on the PIF, thanks for the opportunity to give it a crack.

Razor is now clean and sterilised and ready for the next candidate, not sure who that is as i was the last perp on the list.
Great review mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received the package - thank you again @Anthony Hunter - and thank you to every one ho participated! It was very interesting reading all your thoughts and seeing your great pictures...

I guess now is the time to announce the winner.

I have thought about it for a while and knew from the beginning, that I only wanted to give it to someone, who actually likes the razor.

This narrows it down a bit and from the reviews and pictures I decided....drum roll....drum roll - the winner is:

@nsavage - congratulations my friend - I sense an unbiased liking from you and hope the razor will bring you lots of joy!!!

I will deliver personally at the next meet-up :D

Again many thanks for every one here - I hope you all have a great weekend ahead (y)

Congratulations @nsavage and HUGE thank you to @alfredus for the generosity and opportunity to give this a run (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)