Top Performing Soaps

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
I want to know what you personally rate to be your top performing soap.

What soap is the best in terms of a consistent slickness, cushion and post-shave feel?

A soap that lathers incredibly well time and time again.

Note:
- this may not be your favourite scented soap
- I'm more interested in soaps (tallow or vegan) rather than creams

La Toja.
It's one of only two soaps I occassionally use.

The scent is a bit meh (the same as the cotton toilet spray we have at work).

I've never really worked out how to use non stick soaps properly - I just don't seem to get a decent lather. Probably not spending enough time loading I presume.

What soap is the best in terms of a consistent slickness, cushion and post-shave feel?

Note:
ARKO!!!! Its delicate lemon scent shouldn't be obtrusive and it gives a consistently good lather.

Note:

Well it has been a week or so since the last ARKO! stouche...:ROFLMAO:

If you include Croaps then P.160 morbido
Harder soaps - palmy gut 2,2 is gut yah.

Haven't shaved enough with Speick stick but I suspect it may be head of the class in time.

Interesting how the shave sticks are consistent top performers...

Haven't shaved enough with Speick stick but I suspect it may be head of the class in time.

Forgot about the Speick - only remembered to use it once and then Darwin summer arrived.

Interesting how the shave sticks are consistent top performers...

I find my face/whiskers are much more abrasive than my brush (might differ for Omega users? ) Might help with loading enough product consistently?

A lot of the puck soaps are triple milled jobbies too. I read the other week about a DR Harris Arlington shave stick. If it is the same as the puck - good ****ing luck loading enough soap before you have worn through your skin.

I find my face/whiskers are much more abrasive than my brush (might differ for Omega users? ) Might help with loading enough product consistently?
That was my first thought also.

I know many others haven't chimed in yet but we are missing the Artisan soaps...

I think I'm yet to discover/encounter mine...

Though, with Jaboman and Stirling coming and @Barrister & Mann having arrived in my hands today, the list of prospective suitors could soon be dramatically declining.

Last edited:
I tend to favour soaps with a thick, creamy lather and good skin care qualities. That puts Mike's and Cade up there, they're both extremely good and tick all the boxes for me. Tabac rates a mention too because it's great in almost every regard, just with a slightly polarising scent. I enjoy it for a change of pace.

Speick and La Toja are my pick of the shave sticks, and I'd happily travel with either of them.

I feel like I lose a little bit of perspective with soaps and lathering because I'm blessed to be in Melbourne and have extremely soft water. I can only assume from feedback elsewhere that this can make a huge difference with some soaps.

La Toja is definitely my fave thus far, but since I am a creams guy then it's not much of an opinion. Nice clean soap with a light fougère scent, lathers well, stick is convenient for travel.

Cella & P.160 have also been good performers for me. I cannot do the Almond scent in summer usually, I prefer it in winter.

MWF does me well also, at least it does now where I live and the water has a total hardness of less than 200ppm. Previously the calcium, lime and magnesium concentrations in the water meant that lathering some of the finicky soaps was absolutely impossible.

MWF does me well also, at least it does now where I live and the water has a total hardness of less than 200ppm. Previously the calcium, lime and magnesium concentrations in the water meant that lathering some of the finicky soaps was absolutely impossible.
A good and oft overlooked point.
A good soap manages to produce results in a wide array of fields, so MWF failing in harder water in my opinion is a strike against it :(
I wonder how many artisans test their soaps in different water qualities.

All of them perform well. Lots of them have weird or awful scents. Subtracting those two I'm left with a few and out of those I'd say Sir Irisch Moos is my consistent got to. Oh and of course ARKO. Has been quiet on that front for a while. Trust GT to stir it up a bit.

Quite surprised that no one has mentioned Tabac! You can lather it with a twig and performance is top notch.

Other soaps that do it for me everytime - Speick, Mikes and of course good ole Arko.