Tried DE again

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
And I liked it. I've got this bakelite 7 O'Clock razor which came with a vintage bakelite brush/stick holder I got off e-bay. It was the stick holder I wanted and I just put the thing in a drawer and forgot about it. Thought I'd give it to one of my kids (yes, they're of shave age) and had to I'd try it first to make sure I wasn't giving away a murder weapon. Great shave with an Iridium Super. Surprising to say the least. The kid's not getting this one. I'm an evil old bastard.

Last edited:
I always alternate. SE and DE are different, but good in their own ways.
Last week a USA 1940s aristocrat with GBE, this week a MM CP.
Completely different shaves but good in their own way.
If I had only one choice but had all the blades I needed for life, I'd stick to SE. But I don't mind the DE because I have a lot of blades to get through and a lot of razors to use.

Super Iridiums eh? where did you get hold of those?

Are they special then? Got a few included with some past buys. Was the last one I had I think. My collection of DE blades would be considered disgraceful I'm sure. But in my previous DE life I found that most blades had more in common than being different. I'll try a Dorco (aren't they the low life of the blade world?) and let you know if I still experience it this way.

Are they special then? Got a few included with some past buys. Was the last one I had I think. My collection of DE blades would be considered disgraceful I'm sure. But in my previous DE life I found that most blades had more in common than being different. I'll try a Dorco (aren't they the low life of the blade world?) and let you know if I still experience it this way.
They were a big deal a while ago, hyped up to the max. Then it was announced that supply is drying up, so a lot of people bought thousands for their own stash or to re sell later on.
I bought a few from mark 1966, but not really impressed enough to secure my own supply.

I always alternate. SE and DE are different, but good in their own ways.
Last week a USA 1940s aristocrat with GBE, this week a MM CP.
Completely different shaves but good in their own way.
If I had only one choice but had all the blades I needed for life, I'd stick to SE. But I don't mind the DE because I have a lot of blades to get through and a lot of razors to use.

I might give that a try for a while. But I'm suspicious of the little voce inside my head. I think it's cottoned on to the fact that I've got most SE razors worth having and my DE stash is pitiful. Really liked the weird little bakelite job. It's got style. pretty mild but not overly so.

I've always been curious about the bakelite razors.

How does it feel in the hand?

Is the head heavy or do you feel like you have to apply pressure the whole time?

I might give that a try for a while. But I'm suspicious of the little voce inside my head. I think it's cottoned on to the fact that I've got most SE razors worth having and my DE stash is pitiful. Really liked the weird little bakelite job. It's got style. pretty mild but not overly so.
See it's easy for me. I bought up big time on vintage DE razors before I tried SE.
Also, as you know a SE blade only gives me 3 decent shaves (trying to extend it, but that's how the case is right now), and a DE gives me 3-4 shaves.
So I use a SE and DE every week, alternating them ;)
But as far as DEs, for a vintage al you need is:
a NEW (open comb 3 piece)
a Slim adjustable (a TTO razor but also adjustable so you aren't stuck with a mild or aggressive gillette TTO you don't like - also with a decent length heavy handle)
a Tech 3 piece

Meh, Drubbings got a slim he doesn't like, you already have a Tech. All you really need is a NEW. Worth getting one because I think they are the best - but that's just me.
Besides that the Muhle razors are good, something like the edwin jager DE86 or DE 89 ?
Never been impressed with Merkur.

edit:

Is the head heavy or do you feel like you have to apply pressure the whole time?
Can't speak for bakelite but DE shaving only just clicked for me when using a plastic handled slim twist/g1000/g2000 gillette DE. It's head heavy, but that means all the weight is bearing down on the blade, not the handle/wrist. And the light handle makes it easy to grip from the end and apply 'leverage', not direct pressure on the head and blade onto your skin. This was a thin plastic handle g2000 or something, not a stubbier thicker bakelite handle.
But everyone has their own technique that suits certain razors. Most people don't change their natural technique very much, but find a razor that suits their technique I think.

But the plastic or lightweight models certainly helps those use to cartridge razors (like I was used to when starting out) or SE razor users that are used to the head/blade do all the work, used to a different angle and less pressure than DE needs to be applied.

Last edited:
If you ever wanted an opinion on an Edwin DE86, as you know that was my first razor and is fantastic. My only gripe with it is the handle - I think I prefer a handle with a bit of grippage. (A Karl Pilkington word there.)

Knurled, I think is the term.

Anyway two thumbs up for the DE86 here. I'd buy another EJ without hesitation.

It's quite light but it's chunky at the same time. You have to apply a bit of pressure but I tend to do that with most razors, aside from when there's a new SE blade happening. They're nice looking razors I think. Utilitarian (spelling?) look.

And I liked it. I've got this bakelite 7 O'Clock razor which came with a vintage bakelite brush/stick holder I got off e-bay. It was the stick holder I wanted and I just put the thing in a drawer and forgot about it. Thought I'd give it to one of my kids (yes, they're of shave age) and had to I'd try it first to make sure I wasn't giving away a murder weapon. Great shave with an Iridium Super. Surprising to say the least. The kid's not getting this one. I'm an evil old bastard.

Can you post a picture of the stick holder, I'm quite curious to see what it looks like.

Sure can! In the two pics a pretty standard vintage bakelite stick holder. One you can push a stick of the right diameter in to the end cap and screw the top on. You can find them occasionally on e-bay. I've got three of those and I use a Lea stick holder too for a Speick stick. What's in the picture is a stick I made from a puck of Tabac. Yes, I know Tabac is available in stick form but I like the look of this better. I can post a pictorial on stick making if you're interested. It's easy. Took me two goes to get it right. Even if it goes wrong you just grate it all up again and start over.

_MG_8673res.jpg_MG_8672res.jpg

But as far as DEs, for a vintage al you need is:
a NEW (open comb 3 piece)
a Slim adjustable (a TTO razor but also adjustable so you aren't stuck with a mild or aggressive gillette TTO you don't like - also with a decent length heavy handle)
a Tech 3 piece

I've got a long handled super adjustable, a souplex open comb and a ball end tech. So I've got a bit of a range. I would like to get hold of a NEW sometime. I'll have to dig them all out and try them again. I've got too many razors. It's nice fiddling with different rotations and rediscovering old ones. The only problem is that I'll now have to start trying to find DE blades. Oh wait....aren't there loads of blade junkies on vision collision 4.0? Oh wait.....isn't this vision collision 4.0?

Do you only like one blade brand or what?
The truthful reason why I have a lot is I like so many different types in so many different razors.
Like I've said before, israeli platinums or crystals have found a very nice home in the NEW. Just right for a good shave in that NEW, not sharp enough to do some damage with the open comb.
Can't just have them though, because they are rubbish on mild solid safety bar TTOs or modern razors. So I need feathers for really mild razors, red personnas for mid range razors (smooth but not sharp enough for aggressive razors), and astras or other "sharp but smooth" brands for the more aggressive ones edit: Ie sharp, but not into feather territory.

Last edited:
I know it's like asking how long's a piece of string but what would you guys classify as an all round blade.

For the price, astra. That will work in both your super adjustable and the Tech (you can adjust the super adjustable to suit the astra, and the blade is sharp enough to work with the Tech)
I'd never put a red pack personna in a Tech, and the crystal/israeli super platinums don't work with those razors either.

You could try a feather in the tech later. Or if you buy a TTO like a superspeed or similar you could try a red pack personna later.

But yeah, some people love derbys and hate red pack personnas, others often love red pack personnas and hate derbys. Seems like most are love one and hate the other, so there is a fundamental difference going on there.
Astras are the same, some hate them.

Last edited:
Do you only like one blade brand or what?
The truthful reason why I have a lot is I like so many different types in so many different razors.
Like I've said before, israeli platinums or crystals have found a very nice home in the NEW. Just right for a good shave in that NEW, not sharp enough to do some damage with the open comb.
Can't just have them though, because they are rubbish on mild solid safety bar TTOs or modern razors. So I need feathers for really mild razors, red personnas for mid range razors (smooth but not sharp enough for aggressive razors), and astras or other "sharp but smooth" brands for the more aggressive ones edit: Ie sharp, but not into feather territory.

I like a few blades and I have a wide assortment.

I like the Gillette Super Plats (Dark), the Voskhods, Sharks, Personna Red. There are a few others I like but those are my most commonly used ones.

I like trying different blades and sometimes they are rubbish but mostly I find a good shave on the first two blades then they get crap.