Tried DE again

Well, just tried the Dorco and I didn't mind it. Nice double wrapped blade. Not as smooth to operate as the previous two (Iridium and Shark) and I had to do a bit more work to get the same result but not bad on the whole. It just makes a pretty audible scraping/cutting noise which doesn't bother me as it's a whisper compared to SE shaving.

I'm going the opposite way.
Use DE a lot, mainly because a SE blade doesn't last me long, and I like variety and have heaps of different razors and blades to play with.
But loaded the MM CP and had a shave that went well. Took the blade out and tried to dry it, experiementing on whether it would make it last longer.
Anyway, next day I thought bugger it, I'll try this ornate 1912 on the shelf that I never use. Just did a quick and dirty shave and didn't try to do much, but I liked how it felt even though results weren't anything more than a hurried non prepped shave would give.
Today with the same blade, I threw it in the pat 1900.
So much feed back, so little risk of a nick, so effortlessly the shave not missing any patches of stubble. It really is the ultimate shaving machine.
And it's just a hollow light stick, that the blade sits on top of, no cap of any sort to guide you. But it's my favourite and it's the best...In the world.
The MM CP I love and it's the most aggressive and the closest shaver. The DEs are good for a change, fun trying out all the blade variety that's not there for SE, and for a good quick cheap shave I like them when I don't need a perfect shave. But I love my pat 1900 lather catcher when time and blade cost is not an issue.

1305 outdid itself as well, easily more than 3 passes of tabac in it. Nice soft useful boar brush that holds some lather.

Last edited:
I've never tried a lather catcher. Have heard a lot about them and they do look like the coolest razors ever. Straight out of some Gothic b-movie. I'm sure Count Dracula shaved with a lather catcher.

Anyhow I've just bought 200 Sharks from an Australian B&B dude. Can I now join the DE club?

Gee I dunno Pjotr, you need to own five brushes, eight razors and 24 different brand blades to get into the club...:laugh:

Just tried an Astra stainless. Very nice blade. I'd be happy if I had some of them too. decided to ditch the Dorcos. if I was stuck on a desert Island with just Dorcos I could be happy but with so many alternatives I'll give them a miss. Hoorah, I can determine a difference between a Dorco and the rest. I'm still not looking for the pea under the mattrass but this means I'm not quite a Neanderthal.

If you really want a blade to dislike try the Brazilian Wilkinsons, makes a Dorco feel like the best blade ever. Come to think of it a Brazilian Wilk would be incapable of delivering anything like a real Brazilian.

Had a second with the Astra and it was OK but wouldn't use it beyond that. It's a good two shave blade. Dug out the old birth year tech. See how I go with that. When I get stranded on a Brazilian Island I'm sure I'd be happy with their Wilks and possibly a Samba dancer with a bad one. Until that happens I might give'm a miss.

Getting 3 decent 2-pass shaves out of an Astra SP. The first shave was very good, the second one was better than the first. The third was only average and required some reasonable touchups, but felt more comfortable afterwards than the first two.

Getting 3 decent 2-pass shaves out of an Astra SP. The first shave was very good, the second one was better than the first. The third was only average and required some reasonable touchups, but felt more comfortable afterwards than the first two.
But h's using the astra stainless?
I refer to you because I've never seen one and you're the DE blade expert, I use the astra SP too and find it good for 3 shaves.

The only result so far assocoiated with my journey through DE bladesville is that I can almost confidently say that my skin is not Neanderthal. I've yet to be convinced that all these blades, particularly ones from the same manufacturer, are any different. A few random molecules of platinum stuck to a stainless blade edge I can't imagine would make that much of a difference to be honest. To quote Bruceonshaving:

Most of the world’s razors are made in a very small handful of factories around the world such as Gillette in Manuas, Brazil and St Petersburg, Russia, Vidyut in Bombay, India and Lord in Alexandria, Egypt.

And:

The edges then go through a vapour deposition coating/metal spray/sputtering process that adds a few molecules of titanium nitride, platinum or whatever proprietary cocktail to enhance its qualities.

Forever sceptically yours,

PJ

Last edited:
Well he's wrong.

All blades the same? Compare a derby and a feather.
All blades from the same manufacturer the same? Compare a Russian gillette yellow to a Russian green.

Is quality and coating the same? Compare a red pack personna that struggles to give 3 good shaves, with other blades that can easily get 5 shaves.

In a small sample size for one individual some may seem similar, but there's definite differences between a lot of particular ones. Maybe more so for certain individuals with tough beards though that want a keener edge and want it to last more than 2 shaves while having to do more passes and cut thicker stubble.

I'm sure he is. I'm just going by my own limited experience with limited blades and you're bound to find a similar opinion from some tool going by the name of Bruce with a blog called Bruceonshaving. And I'm trying to get my post count up so I can retire with a respectible if not winning one when this site crashes in to oblivion. I've only got Jug and Drubster ahead of me and they'd better watch out.

Bruce is a bit of a bore. Plus he'll do anything to advance the chickenlittlism of shavpocalypticness.

So, in closing, I don't listen to him.

chickenlittlism is a very good word, one that clearly does not get enough use.

And this post increased my post count Pj.

So there.

I might have to start pruning useless posts.

But h's using the astra stainless?
I refer to you because I've never seen one and you're the DE blade expert, I use the astra SP too and find it good for 3 shaves.

I have a few of the Astra SS but nothing huge, something like 2 packs that came as Freebies from BestShave etc. I think Drubs sent me a few loose ones too. I find the SP is the better blade, but the SS performs well, especially in some of the older open-combs. I like them in the NEW but the SP seems nicer in a Gillette Adjustable.

The SP is one of the best value blades by far, considering that you can get 200 from BestShave in 2 weeks for about $22.

I loaded a Red Personna this morning (packaged as a 10-blade plastic dispenser, Euro marketed) and had a great 1-pass shave. Felt very safe as I savagely attacked my face with the Slim opened right up to 9. Never felt like I would nick myself the whole shave. Alum with no sting. Not as close as I am used to but very happy for a running-late-but-have-to-shave shave. Happy camper.

I think that everyone could live with having either of these blades for the rest of your life. I prefer variety and I like to experiment and rotate my gear, so for me I like trying all the different blades.

I've yet to be convinced that all these blades, particularly ones from the same manufacturer, are any different. A few random molecules of platinum stuck to a stainless blade edge I can't imagine would make that much of a difference to be honest. To quote Bruceonshaving:

Yes exactly my friend !!!!
A kindred spirit !

I also don't notice any difference between baldes.
I've compared Zorricks with Feathers and find no difference what so ever.

Actually I don't find any difference between DE razors either.
I find a Futur set on 6 loaded with a Feather to be no different to a Weishi or Gillette Tech. loaded with a Zorrick !

To me soaps and creams are more or less the same as well.
IMO, Williams and Martin de Candre are equals in terms of ease of lather making, efficacy, protection, glide, moisturising and scent.

A kindred spirit !

I find a Futur set on 6 loaded with a Feather to be no different to a Weishi or Gillette Tech. loaded with a Zorrick !

IMO, Williams and Martin de Candre are equals in terms of ease of lather making, efficacy, protection, glide, moisturising and scent.

You have to be new to this? Yes, there are a lot of blades out there that are samey, but razors, soaps and creams? There are huge differences between many of them.

Sure there's a lot of personal subjectivity about what's good or not, but differences aren't made up.

Last edited:
A kindred spirit !

After a while you get a bit more picky particularly with soaps. I agree that you can get a decent lather out of all of them but some are just awesome and others are not as good and some are pretty average. The whole protection, gliding and moisturising or any of the other multitude of descriptors around I don't really get to be honest. I used to approach it with the idea that if I was stuck on a desert island with just the one one stick of LEA soap I'd be happy. However now if I can swap it with one of Tabac I wouldn't hesitate.

Razors are similar I guess. I think I can now get whatever shave I want with whatever DE or SE razor I've got it's just that to me some work and feel so much easier than others.

Blade differences still don't do it for me. There's so much that can affect the quality of a shave. And most of it I think is your state of mind and how relaxed you are whilst doing it. If I'm thinking about something else or am rushed there's a good chance it'll be a lousy shave regardless of razor, blade or soap.