Weekly Razor Review

I just googled up the Green Cult, how do you actually get one?

It looks like it's milled vs injection mould?

The bottom base plate is a very interesting one, looks like the bottom cap has a full length clamp down tight. I really want to have a good closer look at the bottom base plate, the whole head looks like an EJDE89/R89 aggression maybe a 34C/G.

il_794xN.3489331359_d8s4.jpg

REX Konsul Slant Adjustable (USA)

There had been speculation for some time of another well known razor brand producing an adjustable slant razor, but it was REX who got the jump and delivered the first public release of an adjustable slant machined from stainless steel. This Konsul is one of the original 150 released in the first batch. One look at the Konsul and a family resemblance to the Ambassador is immediately obvious, similar dimensions, two piece Gibbs style bottom plate, finish and the quality of manufacture are all good indicators it was produced with the same thinking in mind. With the knob to disassemble secured inside the handle, the Konsul is for all intents and purposes, a two piece razor, the handle/ plate assembly and the cap. It’s the two piece Gibbs style plate that had me intrigued, the top piece of the plate sits square to the handle while the bottom plate has angled edges. As a blade is pressed into the Konsul’s cap for loading, the twisting of the blade in two different planes is both felt and seen, the blade has to be held in position for fitting to the plate assembly. Pressure is maintained between the edges of the plate and the cap as the knob is tightened thus indicating torqueing of the blade.

REX don’t allow for the disassembly of their adjustable razors so their internals remain a mystery. Probably my biggest disappointment in not being able to strip the razor is that any oil I manage to get into the razor has to come from the outside and I just hope that some of the liberal amounts dripped around get to their desired destination. Deeply cut diamonds machined into the handle provide not only good looks but unmatched control of the razor. Engraved around the shoulder of the handle are the easy to read setting numbers #1 - #6 with dots between. A red dot on the adjuster ring makes identification of the setting fool proof even for those of us with declining eyesight. External surfaces are presented in what I’ll call a quality satin finish except for the back of the plate where fine circular machining marks are exposed.

Houston, we have a problem - the adjusting ring would rotate below the dot between #3 and #4. Two answers came back from Razor Emporium; run extremely hot water over the razor while trying to rotate the adjuster ring, send the razor straight back for repair immediately. I decided if the hot water suggestion did not work, it would be sent back. Rippa tune Boris, a combination of boiling water, brute force and a lot of rotating of the ring has the adjuster ring rotating down to #1, that’s without a blade. Whatever thread locker REX used to seal the internals from intruders had migrated to the thread of the adjuster ring and the boiling water softened it enough to clear the fault.
This little adjustable slant with its guillotine like action is a remarkable piece, useable throughout its whole range of settings and smooth as. Combine this with a wee amount of blade feel right through its shaving range, which REX has managed to do successfully, and they’ve won me. As I often do when reviewing adjustable razors, I commenced at the mid point, setting #3. At this point, the Konsul delivered my near perfect shave and I’d have been quite happy to leave it right there for the remainder of the review and just carry on forever using it at that setting, it was impressive. Only at setting #1 was the razor a bit on the mild side but still usable. Wound up to setting #6, the Konsul was only at Karve CB level #D, so it has a spread of usability right through its range. This is the smoothest of the REX adjustables and it’s one I’m going to remember for all the right reasons. I would label the Konsul adjustable slant razor a success.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #6 (with dots between)
  • #1 – Lower than Karve CB Level #B
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #3 –Karve CB Levels #C plus
  • #4 – Between Karve CB Levels #C and #D
  • #5 – Between Karve CB Levels #C and #D
  • #6 - Karve CB Level #D
Blades Used – Ladas and Wizamet Polsilver
Material – Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 104g
Head Width – 44.08mm
Handle Length – 77.25mm
Handle Diameter – 12.85mm
Availability – Razor Emporium
Final Word – A champion

Cheers for another wonderful read @Errol as its good to see another premium adjustable razor hit the market! (y)

Whilst I humbly do not have the wide range of experience that our razor master does. I would like to contend that the Charcoal Goods Magnum razor with a dimpled handle may give this razor a run for it's money it terms of handle and control. I will have to send mine to our resident razor guru for his thoughts.

With REX razors, there is something about the look of them that gets me every time.. just as I'm about to invest in the Ambassador I remember the price-tag that goes along with it vs the cost of having a family in Aus!

I wish they were a bit cheaper. The Konsol is next level types of expensive

With REX razors, there is something about the look of them that gets me every time.. just as I'm about to invest in the Ambassador I remember the price-tag that goes along with it vs the cost of having a family in Aus!

I wish they were a bit cheaper. The Konsol is next level types of expensive
And from what I have read on other forums, there are more machine marks on the Konsul than on the ambassador.

@Errol, @klinker and @Holiday do you guys own a 1948-1950 Gillette Super Speed or a Gillette Flare Tip? The reason I’m asking is, the Weishi 9306F short handle, feels and shave very similar to a Super Speed or a Flare Tip. Since I have both Weishi 9306 F (short) & FL (long) classic chrome handles.

Last edited:
@Errol and @Holiday do you guys own a 1948-1950 Gillette Super Speed or a Gillette Flare Tip? The reason I’m asking is, the Weishi 9306F short handle, feels and shave very similar to a Super Speed or a Flare Tip. Since I have both Weishi 9306 F (short) & FL (long) classic chrome handles.

@SpeedyPC No I don’t have either of those two, but maybe I should have if they shave as good as the Weishi 9306.

1948-1950 Gillette Super Speed or a Gillette Flare Tip
Hi @SpeedyPC I dont have either of those vintage razors and the closest I have is a 66 Slim. The Weishi is 63g compared to Slim 71g.
Slim is head heavy whereas Weishi is very balanced. Took me a while to find the sweet spot with Weishi which for me is when you can feel the ridges on the safety bar against your cheeks.
If I ride the safety bar the razor is very chatty but once you find the groove it is a very decent shave. Might sell all my razors and settle for the Weishi ;)

Lg4OvIw.jpg

@SpeedyPC No I don’t have either of those two, but maybe I should have if they shave as good as the Weishi 9306.
FYI so you don't get confused

Gillette Super Speed
images

Gillette Flare Tip (Super Speed)
images

Gillette Black handle Super Speed is very similar to a Flare Tip, IF, I'm not mistaken
s-l400.jpg

Last edited: