Weekly Razor Review

Global Shaving Club - Fat Guy – Replica

With Global Shaving Club’s Fat Guy replica, I’m comparing it with the original Gillette Fatboy razor reviewed last week. This replica is said to be based on a 1960’s Fatboy and the version I received was the chrome plated model. It would have been a logistical nightmare when Global Shaving claim that the 15 parts constituting the inventory are sauced from Japan, India, China and the whole razor is then assembled in Canada. I’ve never picked up a brand new Gillette Fatboy but one thing I am sure of is that the quality will be one whole lot better than with this Fat Guy. Operation of the twist to open knob is anything but smooth, there is a distinct tight spot about mid travel before it smoothes out again, then as everything locks down it feels so creepy; the wings are jerky in operation and when fully open the angles do not mirror each other. In the closed position there is a wider gap on one side of the centre piece and one wing is cocked up. Just like the original Fat Boy, there is a click mechanism fitted on the adjuster, but it too feels and sounds tinny. Presentation wise, the chrome finish is smooth and shiny but at the same time, looks cheap. There is only so much my rod oil can possibly achieve but I had to give it a go; let’s just say that after oiling it performed marginally better. Global Shave Club were recently looking for backers for a Toggle replica they are about to release; I think you’ll understand why I didn’t subscribe.

I was not impressed that the wings do not align properly but decided to give it a try anyhow. To compare apples with apples, the blades intended for use in the Fat Guy are from the same packs as the blades I used last week - if I get that far. After loading the Ladas I thought I’d better check blade alignment; looks good, and what’s this, the wings are both fully closed and sitting perfectly aligned. Unscrewed the knob and tightened it up three or four times and the wings aligned each time. Not only that, but the tight spot in the TTO knob has gone; whatever was out of kilter must have taken a bump or knock and was operating like it was designed to do. With the Fat Guy’s internals now responding without protest, the chances of being able to complete at least one shave have increased no end. It’s a good thing I reviewed the Gillette Fat Boy last week because I could feel that the shave felt very much the same. Sure, the efficiency levels did not match with the correspond settings between the razors, there were a couple of notches difference. Karve CB level #C plus efficiency was achieved at setting #1 and at Setting #9 was well above the Karve CB level #D efficiency but for me, it was usable but certainly aggressive. One thing I done with the Fat Guy that I could not do with the Gillette offering was to complete a shave on setting #1. Blade feel was present at all settings but was never excessive and I have to admire just how close the shave was. With the Fat Guy operating as it was designed to, I’m satisfied with the results.

When I inspected the Fat Guy, I would not have given you twopence for it. Fortunately for me the Fat Guy self righted itself and I ended up having a a pleasant shaving experience. What if it did not self right, it would have been money down the drain as I certainly wasn’t going to strip it down to identify the issue. There’s always the chance you may have been lucky and received an amazing razor right out of the box. Global Shaving Company’s Fat Guy may have been cheap to purchase but the quality is not there, you can take a chance that you’re going to get a good one but and at the end of the day, it remains a replica of a great razor from the Gillette range; my advice is to think seriously then buy the real McCoy, a Gillette Fat Boy. It may have been previously used but at least it is a quality product that can be relied on.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #9 (dots for the even numbers)
  • #1 – Mild – above Karve CB Level #C
  • #3 – Under Karve CB Level #D
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D
  • #7 – Just over Karve CB Level #D
  • #9 – Above Karve CB Level #D
Blades Used – Ladas and Gillette Platinum
Material – Brass and Magnesium Alloy - Chrome Plated
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 64g
Head Width – 43.44mm
Handle Length – 77.70mm
Handle Diameter – 11.58mm
Availability – Global Shave Club
Final Word – Buyer beware

Nice to see you checking out a budget razor as was keen to try one of the Gillette replica's on offer myself after seeing them hyped by certain YT wet shavers. Research from various forums had me suspicious of poor QC so stayed away and judging by your review I'm glad I saved my $$$. I guess it pays to invest in a vintage Gillette razor if that's your thing. Great work as always guru @Errol! (y)

Looking forward to seeing that review.

I received my Weishi 9306. I have to say bloody excellent, your review is spot on! an absolute steal at GBP £10 delivered to the UK.

I did a review of the razor on another forum, so I will copy and paste below what I wrote...

Recently received my Weishi 9306, which I believe is the same head used by the Wilkinson Sword Classic. I was really pleasantly suprised. I like the razor, it shaves well, providing an easy, close, comfortable shave with an intuitive shave angle. For me, it is more efficient than the Gillette Super Speed, and the Baili BD179, about on-par with an R89 in terms of efficiency. The Weishi can be had with several different handle styles, handle lengths and colours (with or without the Weishi logo), including the same handle style as the Wilkinson Sword for about GBP £10 delivered off AliExpress (why have a Weishi rebranded as a Wilkinson Sword Classic, when you can have the original :) ). The Weishi appears well constructed, tolerances are tight and the plating is flawless and for me it shaves better than the razor it is based upon. I am not sure what the razor is made from, copper alloy and/or brass alloy, I have read on some forums; I can confirm, as others have reported, the only part of the razor that attracts a magnet is the TTO knob - not sure if that means anything though. The handle knurling is excellent; the blade is held securely; blade alighnment is accurate and the razor is well balanced with well judged weighting. I really do not understand why the razor is not more popular, at least in this part of the world. All in all a very good - mild / medium aggressive - shaver for not very much money, that shaves every bit as good as an R89 / DE89 and is just as well finished. Wilkinson Sword need to be commended for spotting an excellent, quality, inexpensive razor that only required rebranding (albeit with a significant price increase) to win over more wet shavers.

Excellent, detailed reviews of the razor, were undertaken by the MadScientist in 2016 (which is still up on You Tube) and more recently, over at Paste & Cut, which prompted my own purchase. I have to say, both were spot-on, in their observations.

Last edited:
I received my Weishi 9306. I have to say bloody excellent, your review is spot on! an absolute steal at GBP £10 delivered to the UK.

I did a review of the razor on another forum, so I will copy and paste below what I wrote...

Recently received my Weishi 9306, which I believe is the same head used by the Wilkinson Sword Classic. I was really pleasantly suprised. I like the razor, it shaves well, providing an easy, close, comfortable shave with an intuitive shave angle. For me, it is more efficient than the Gillette Super Speed, and the Baili BD179, about on-par with an R89 in terms of efficiency. The Weishi can be had with several different handle styles, handle lengths and colours (with or without the Weishi logo), including the same handle style as the Wilkinson Sword for about GBP £10 delivered off AliExpress (why have a Weishi rebranded as a Wilkinson Sword Classic, when you can have the original :) ). The Weishi appears well constructed, tolerances are tight and the plating is flawless and for me it shaves better than the razor it is based upon. I am not sure what the razor is made from, copper alloy and/or brass alloy, I have read on some forums; I can confirm, as others have reported, the only part of the razor that attracts a magnet is the TTO knob - not sure if that means anything though. The handle knurling is excellent; the blade is held securely; blade alighnment is accurate and the razor is well balanced with well judged weighting. I really do not understand why the razor is not more popular, at least in this part of the world. All in all a very good - mild / medium aggressive - shaver for not very much money, that shaves every bit as good as an R89 / DE89 and is just as well finished. Wilkinson Sword need to be commended for spotting an excellent, quality, inexpensive razor that only required rebranding (albeit with a significant price increase) to win over more wet shavers.

Excellent, detailed reviews of the razor, were undertaken by the MadScientist in 2016 (which is still up on You Tube) and more recently, over at Paste & Cut, which prompted my own purchase. I have to say, both were spot-on, in their observations.

Thanks @Missoni Great review. The Weishi surprised me with just how good it was. Mine was certainly more than £10 but for that sort of money, you cannot go wrong.

Goodfella OC (New Zealand)

About four years ago I purchased this Goodfella OC on ebay from a bloke in Greece and like many other razors I buy, it was put aside to be tried on that rainy day. It was mid November last year when I received an email from Nicolas in Greece saying that he was reading the Weekly Razor Reviews and had worked out who he had offloaded the Goodfella to. Nicolas had found the original leather pouch for the Goodfella I had purchased and would I like it? Of course I would like it, thanks again Nicolas. At that time, I made a promise to myself that the Goodfella would be put on the list for review. Delivered with a stainless steel handle and a chromed finished zamac head, the only identification on the razor is the ‘NZ made’ moulded into the rear of the plate. Without a blade fitted there is movement between the cap and the plate, but it all tightens down firmly with a blade loaded and ready to use. Both the cap and plate are pretty thin for a zamzc head and the cap is marginally shorter than the plate. Chrome plating on the handle post is almost non existent and this has led to a bad case of zamac rot setting in and very sloppy engagement in the handle thread; if I’d left the review too much longer I would not have had a razor to review. I’ve oiled the post and it improved in the smoothness stakes but I’m not going to take bets on how long before it is no more; you never know though, the oil may just slow down the natural degradation of the zamac; I can, but only hope. A round, polished, stainless steel handle with five grooves at the forward grip section is fitted so it could be interesting in use.

It was a unique shaving experience that the Goodfella OC delivered; a combination of a thin plate, open comb and ample blade exposure, contributed to every tooth being felt on each stroke. It took some time to understand this phenomenon, it wasn’t really uncomfortable but at the same time the shave could not be described as smooth. With efficiency in the Karve CB Level #D region, the shave was close. No issues were experienced with the simple handle, maneuverability wasn’t bad, the razor felt safe and the shave was close; but overall the Goodfella didn’t really deliver what could be described as a pleasant experience. While the Goodfella is not a razor I have on my ‘most wanted’ list, it managed to get the job done.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Black and Willy’s
Material – Cast zinc w/ stainless steel handle
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 89g
Head Width – 42.33mm
Handle Length – 94mm
Handle Diameter – 11.95mm
Availability – Out of production
Final Word – Somewhat different

I bought one of these way back (waaaaayyyyy back) when they were first released on the unsuspecting shaving world.
First advertised as 'Stainless Steel' (sort of like a Kiwi version of Ali advertising).
After a year or so I decided to polish the sharp edges of those stainless steel comb 'teeth'.
That's when I found out about chromed zamac.
Wrote to them and asked to buy another baseplate (and mentioned the sharp edges of the original). They sent me a new baseplate and it was much better.
Had more rounded edges to the teeth, and it did shave OK.
I also mentioned their original advertising as a stainless steel razor, when in fact only the handle was stainless.
They did not answer that query though.
Anyway, finally sold it not long after the new baseplate was fitted.
It still looked nice and bright, and was not a 'bad' razor.
But a bit more 'truth in advertising' would have helped.
I bought a Muhle Grande R89 after that...and it did actually rot itself to death.
Hence my love of stainless razors now.

Thanks for another great review. As a matter of interest @Errol, what do you do with all of these razors, do you have a hall of fame (or hall of shame) display, or do you incorporate them into a vast dystopian sculpture, or maybe just quietly dispose of them on eBay? Or do you just have the world's most incredibly cluttered bathroom? Enquiring minds are asking... :unsure:

Thanks for another great review. As a matter of interest @Errol, what do you do with all of these razors, do you have a hall of fame (or hall of shame) display, or do you incorporate them into a vast dystopian sculpture, or maybe just quietly dispose of them on eBay? Or do you just have the world's most incredibly cluttered bathroom? Enquiring minds are asking... :unsure:

My collection looking minuscule ...

@Gargravarr you’ve asked a bit of an embarrassing question here. I’m a product of my environment because I currently live in rental housing in a mining owned town. My razors are currently stored in shoe boxes. That is not going to always be the case because I have a plan in the back of my head to house them in display cases in my office when I move back to civilization.
As for cluttering up the bathroom, it’s one razor at a time but I do have dispensation to have 8 shave brushes at my disposal lined up under the bathroom window; The Varlet, Declaration, Chisel and Hound, Paladin plus 4 of my own making. There are about 50 other brushes stored away in shoe boxes that don’t see a lot of use. I must get them out again and give them a run. The Varlet is far and away my favourite brush, head and shoulders above the others when it comes to the quality of the brush and the way it delivers. I have my own idea on brush handles and not many meet my requirement otherwise I’d probably do a review on brushes also.

My collection looking minuscule ...

You have my collection well and truly covered

@Gargravarr you’ve asked a bit of an embarrassing question here. I’m a product of my environment because I currently live in rental housing in a mining owned town. My razors are currently stored in shoe boxes. That is not going to always be the case because I have a plan in the back of my head to house them in display cases in my office when I move back to civilization.
As for cluttering up the bathroom, it’s one razor at a time but I do have dispensation to have 8 shave brushes at my disposal lined up under the bathroom window; The Varlet, Declaration, Chisel and Hound, Paladin plus 4 of my own making. There are about 50 other brushes stored away in shoe boxes that don’t see a lot of use. I must get them out again and give them a run. The Varlet is far and away my favourite brush, head and shoulders above the others when it comes to the quality of the brush and the way it delivers. I have my own idea on brush handles and not many meet my requirement otherwise I’d probably do a review on brushes also.

You have my collection well and truly covered

Hi @Errol which Varlet in particular?

@Gargravarr you’ve asked a bit of an embarrassing question here. I’m a product of my environment because I currently live in rental housing in a mining owned town. ... have a plan in the back of my head to house them in display cases in my office when I move back to civilization.
OK. I had been under the impression that Nhulunbuy might be a principality, something like old Prince Leonard's in WA, but maybe without the tax headaches. :p Your royal status could be established by your ability to collect your own weight (or more) in razors... :unsure: Civilisation is always a nice fictional concept, however. :D

Muhle Sophist (Germany)

My old Army issue Gillette simply wore out after more than 40 plus years of daily service; then there was a period of about five years where I went into limbo, torturing myself using electric razors, disposables etc. I knew what was needed to get out of the hole I’d dug for myself but did not know how to get my hands on a decent razor. While travelling through Toowoomba towards the end of 2016, I ducked in for a haircut; low and behold, something I’d not seen in ages, this barber shop had a huge display of razors. This very razor, the Muhle Sophist was the first razor I purchased on my return to wet shaving. Essentially the Sophist is a R89 head attached to a faux horn handle with shiny chrome fittings. Muhle’s R89 head needs very little introduction, being one of the better known heads in existence today. It is cast from zinc but with its very high quality chrome finish, it is very pleasant on the eye and with a bit of care and attention will last for years. I’m keen to revive old memories and see how the Sophist stacks up today.

Some may query my sanity in wanting to use a Muhle blade in any razor let alone a mild razor but let me tell you that it was a Muhle blade that kept me involved in wet shaving. When I purchased the Sophist I was sold two boxes of Dorco blades to go with it. I don’t know the type and I don’t care but these blades were horrid, some simply didn’t work at all; like I mean didn’t/ wouldn’t cut a whisker, some lasted one or two shaves before they felt like paint scrapers; they were bad. I’d had over 40 years of experience with the old Gillette razor using Gillette Super Stainless blades so wasn’t exactly coming back to this wet shaving gig blind. Something with the setup was amiss and when I thought about it, the razor couldn’t change so it had to be the blade. Coming with the Sophist was one solitary Muhle blade; put the Muhle blade in and the world opened up before my eyes, the Muhle blade worked. I threw what remained of the Dorco blades in the bin and have thrown, and will continue to throw every Dorco blade that comes near the house into the bin.

With the Sophist, I was expecting old home week, something like an old pair of shoes, where I’d quickly be back in the groove as thought nothing had ever changed. Trouble is, I’d totally forgotten just how good a razor the Sophist is in the four, probably closer to five years since I last used it. With efficiency above Karve CB, level #C and a very pleasant amount of blade exposure, it delivered a shave that was both smooth and close, I’m left wondering why I ever strayed. Life is not a bed of roses, and I do have a complaint - the handle is too long. Feel was good, grip was positive and control was not bad but there was about 25/30mm of excess handle length that didn’t know what to do with itself. A cut on my chin during the second shave is directly attributed to the excessively long handle. I enjoyed being reunited with the old Muhle and will try to make sure it’s not another four years before I trot it out again. This razor is superb, long live the R89.

Blades Used – Muhle and Super-Max
Material – Cast zinc head and faux horn handle
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 78g
Head Width – 41.35mm
Handle Length – 114.73mm
Handle Diameter – 15.8mm
Availability – Muhle stockists
Final Word – Fond memories

Seygus Razor DE 2015 (Spain)

When I picked the parcel up, I thought I must have ordered a baby rattle. Inside was my 2015 Seygus, the useless bastard who sold it had just thrown the razor into its metal container with no wrapping or packaging material; all the way from the USA, I was not a happy camper. This bloke is on ebay and has razors and various other items for sale, looks like someone who stumbled onto a razor collection and does not know anything about them. Rather than give him a poor rating on ebay and save him from humiliation, I sent him an email detailing my disappointment with the lack of packaging, he never even had the decency to respond. Pity really, because he still has three other razors that I’d like to put my name on.

I check ebay regularly for Seygus razors so when I seen a Seygus dated 2015, I immediately purchased it. I do have a couple of Seygus razors dated 2016, thus making my latest acquisition the earliest Seygus I have. I started thinking about when the earliest razor Seygus was made, and although I don’t have a Facebook account was able to check back through the Seygus site; low and behold, dated 22 Dec 2015 was the following entry:

On sale the very first 25 shaving razors we, my brother in law and myself have build in the atelier sited in Madrid. Have a look from our Web page if you wish further details.

My 2015 Seygus looks exactly the same as the one in the photo, same inscription, same parts, same packaging container, even the same enclosed instruction sheet. With the Facebook entry being dated so late in December, I’m thinking I now have one of the original 25 Seygus razors to be released. Machined from aeronautical class aluminium with a deep black anadised finish, it would have presented very well when it was delivered. Instead of being a regular three piece razor, the Seygus is in fact a four piece razor; its handle has two sections, a heavier stainless steel insert at the front and the regular knurled aluminium handle behind that. If travelling or you want a shorter handle the stainless steel insert can be removed. Blade clamping is on flats machined onto the outer edge of the cap with corresponding flats on the plate. Instead of a flat edge on the plate, it is scalloped. Rattle damage inflicted on the razor is predominantly visible as marks on the cap and plate and the knurling of the handle. Car polish was used for polishing the cap and plate and, to my amazement, all the marks polished out; the handle, well! there is a small area of knurl flattening visible.

When you have no idea how a razor is going to perform, how do you choose a suitable blade. At the top of my user stack of blades was a pack of Feathers; they’ll do. As it turned out, this selection was probably the best I could have made, a decision reinforced by my second blade selection which was not as effective. The Seygus has an efficiency level under that of a Karve CB level #C and blade feel just on the high side of neutral; combined with the razor’s light weight, this resulted in lather not always being cleared and the razor had a tendency of riding over my face leaving the whiskers standing. A little more efficiency and/ or a little more blade and this trait would not have existed. I now look forward to trying a 2016 model Seygus to see if efficiency and blade protrusion was increased in the later variant. I found the length of the handle with the insert fitted to be ideal and think the razor would be difficult to control with the insert removed. This Seygus’s 2015 DE is probably from their first offering and it’s good to have been able to sample the razor before it is stored away to be kept as a piece of history.

Blades Used – Feather and Howard
Material – AW-6082 T6 aeronautical aluminium
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 54g
Head Width – 40.98mm
Handle Length – With insert 88.13mm – Without insert 65.18mm
Handle Diameter – 14.97mm
Availability – Out of production
Final Word – A museum piece

Thanks for another great review. (y) That guy who sold it to you needs public naming and shaming though. That kind of slovenly treatment of both customer and product shouldn't pass without comment, if only for the benefit of future buyers.

I've given this a lot of thought and think you are right. I won't buy from him because I feel he can't be trusted so why should he be protected:

nerdnationus (3044)

Green Cult (Austria)

I don’t ever remember being so happy to see machine marks on a razor. I read the description, then I read it again, and again and I’m thinking I’m purchasing a stainless steel handle and a plated head, probably zinc. Then when I saw the first photos, there they were, machine marks on the head so that was the evidence I needed to prove I was indeed purchasing a fully stainless steel razor. Initially Australia (and a lot of other countries) was not a destination that the Green Cult was being shipped to but within 15 minutes of sending an email I had a Green Cult bought and on its way to Australia. Valarie from Green Cult could not have been more helpful.

I didn’t order a copper handle, but on opening that’s what I initially thought I had; I’m now going to call it a dark straw colour, it’s not really copper. It took a while to appreciate the two tone finish on the razor with its quality machined stainless steel head and dark straw finish on the stainless steel handle, but it grew on me. Since I’m talking about the handle I might as well say straight up that its about 15/ 20 mm too long but the closely machined grooves around the main shaft feel grippy. Indications are that the head is hand machined rather than being spat off a digitally controlled machine. It’s special when you see the love and attention to detail that has gone into the machining of this head. Round blade posts are located on the lighter looking cap and these protrude completely through the plate. Some of the widest flats I’ve seen have been machined on the bottom of the cap while the top of the plate is round, this set up should provide almost 100% clamping of the blade. Another point that leads me to believe the head is hand machined is the quality of the thread engagement, superb.

Not one whisker escaped decapitation on any pass as the Green Cult went about delivering a very close shave that lasted all day. Memories immediately came flooding back of using the Muhle R41; certainly aggressive, however the Green Cult is a tad under the R41 efficiency level but with a considerable amount of blade feel. This razor delivered a no-nonsense shave without any fuss and while not classifiable as smooth, the shave was not uncomfortable. Those grooves around the handle done exactly what was expected of them, ensuring good control and positive grip, but the length; please Green Cult get rid of 15/ 20mm off the end of the handle or, another suggestion, offer a shorter handle option. If it wasn’t for the dark straw colouring, I’d be tempted to lop 20mm off myself, but that would also loose the makers emblem etched into the end of the handle. This is not a razor to choose if a bit of aggression and blade feel is not your cup of tea, but its efficiency level appeals to me; I enjoyed my time shaving with the Green Cult while it was in the spotlight.

PS.
For any retail outlets that may read my ramblings, Valerie did ask if I knew anyone who may be interested in supplying Green Cult to the Australian market. This razor deserves to be available to Australian wet shavers.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Gillette 7 O’Clock Green
Material – Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 120g
Head Width – 43.04mm
Handle Length – 104.98mm
Handle Diameter – 11.79mm
Availability – Green Cult
Final Word – Very effective

Thanks for the review @Errol have been considering the Green Cult because of a thread where the OP was trading his GC-84P or Lupo for a Green Cult and also because it can be purchased through Etsy posted to Aus for just shy of $100