Weekly Razor Review

Wolfman WR3 0.40 – WRH2 Handle (Canada)

Wolfman will machine a plate that suits those who choose a mild shaving razor up to those who take the option of an aggressive razor, between both extremities Wolfman nominates their standard plate. In both their WR1 and WR2 line of razors, this standard has proved to be very suitable for my requirements, therefore when the 0.40 plate was listed as the standard, I had no hesitation in selecting it for this razor. To make the razor an operating piece, a WRH2 handle was selected, of course I chose the lightened version and had everything presented with the basic polished finish. It is the standard WR3 head where the blade is loaded over a post on the plate and the everything clamped together at the top of the blade.

Even with experience now in loading blades into WR3 format razors, I still fumbled while fitting the blade, it is not a difficult procedure, but it is fiddley. Dramas between GEM blades and myself continued even with a change of blade holder. I’ve come out of this battle with cuts and pieces of skin missing from my face; Covid 19 decided to visit in this week so I was able to work from home and didn’t have to cover the evidence, let nature take its course, heal and just dry out. There seems little difference in efficiency between the 0.40 and the 0.60 gapped WR3 razors, obviously there is some but it’s not as pronounced as I was expecting. Efficiency is still in excess of the Karve CB level #D and the shave was certainly smooth and close. For my final outing with this razor, I selected a new blade and took everything slowly, deliberate, no pressure and ended the shave without blood loss; yes it was good to escape a blood bath but it was not a pleasant shave. It would be good to find another brand of GEM blade, if a DE blade failed to live up to expectations, I would simply swap to another brand of blade and in most cases the problem would be resolved, in GEM there is no such option. Wolfman’s WR3 is a very well built razor, delivers a smooth and close shave but I just cannot get my head around the cuts and weepers received while using the GEM format razors; there are other blade formats that suite me better.

Blades Used – Personna
Material – 316 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 97g
Head Width – 41.16mm
Handle Length – 90.00mm
Handle Diameter – 14.35mm
Availability – Wolfman
Final Word – It looks nice in the box

Wolfman will machine a plate that suits those who choose a mild shaving razor up to those who take the option of an aggressive razor, between both extremities Wolfman nominates their standard plate. In both their WR1 and WR2 line of razors, this standard has proved to be very suitable for my requirements, therefore when the 0.40 plate was listed as the standard, I had no hesitation in selecting it for this razor. To make the razor an operating piece, a WRH2 handle was selected, of course I chose the lightened version and had everything presented with the basic polished finish. It is the standard WR3 head where the blade is loaded over a post on the plate and the everything clamped together at the top of the blade.

Even with experience now in loading blades into WR3 format razors, I still fumbled while fitting the blade, it is not a difficult procedure, but it is fiddley. Dramas between GEM blades and myself continued even with a change of blade holder. I’ve come out of this battle with cuts and pieces of skin missing from my face; Covid 19 decided to visit in this week so I was able to work from home and didn’t have to cover the evidence, let nature take its course, heal and just dry out. There seems little difference in efficiency between the 0.40 and the 0.60 gapped WR3 razors, obviously there is some but it’s not as pronounced as I was expecting. Efficiency is still in excess of the Karve CB level #D and the shave was certainly smooth and close. For my final outing with this razor, I selected a new blade and took everything slowly, deliberate, no pressure and ended the shave without blood loss; yes it was good to escape a blood bath but it was not a pleasant shave. It would be good to find another brand of GEM blade, if a DE blade failed to live up to expectations, I would simply swap to another brand of blade and in most cases the problem would be resolved, in GEM there is no such option. Wolfman’s WR3 is a very well built razor, delivers a smooth and close shave but I just cannot get my head around the cuts and weepers received while using the GEM format razors; there are other blade formats that suite me better.

Blades Used – Personna
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 97g
Head Width – 41.16mm
Handle Length – 90.00mm
Availability – Wolfman
Paging @alfredus who need another Wolfy

Never was a fan of SE's and looking at @Errol's insightful review, I highly doubt this one would be for me...
I wouldn't even consider buying this razor, mainly because I think it's fugly, but I wonder about @Errol's experience with Personna GEM blades, which generally tend to agree fairly comfortably with most people's hides. I have found myself paying just a little more attention to my prep than before, so maybe that might make a difference. I also note that Personna claim their carbon steel blades are (even) sharper than their stainless blades, which pretty much makes sense to me.

I haven't tried them (yet) and I'm not sure I have the discipline to keep them dry enough. It is a shame there isn't more of a choice of GEM blades, but it does leave a world polarised between those who love what's on offer and those who hate it.

Blades Used – Personna
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 97g
Head Width – 41.16mm
Handle Length – 90.00mm
Availability – Wolfman
Does anyone see a real advantage to a Gem-style razor, even the Blackland Sabre, over an AC single edge razor like the Vector?

Does anyone see a real advantage to a Gem-style razor, even the Blackland Sabre, over an AC single edge razor like the Vector?
I have both Sabre and Vector, and I love both almost equally. If I had to run back into a burning building (not that unlikely a situation where I am) to save just one, I would pick the Vector. I hope I have enough blades for both to last the rest of my life. 🤞

The Sabre (L2) is just efficient enough to let me feel perfectly comfortable for the day, yet mild enough to leave me something substantial to shave tomorrow. IMO the Vector with a Proline is a little more efficient.

@Pbgoose also has both, and might be able to offer more input if he can take time away from his building works.

I have both Sabre and Vector, and I love both almost equally. If I had to run back into a burning building (not that unlikely a situation where I am) to save just one, I would pick the Vector. I hope I have enough blades for both to last the rest of my life. 🤞

The Sabre (L2) is just efficient enough to let me feel perfectly comfortable for the day, yet mild enough to leave me something substantial to shave tomorrow. IMO the Vector with a Proline is a little more efficient.

@Pbgoose also has both, and might be able to offer more input if he can take time away from his building works.
I knew you'd say that. Just testing. :D

I enjoy using my ever-ready but have to admit it's not on high rotation.

Even though it's fun to use, I always have in the back of my mind that I'm using a blade made for a paint scraper.

You're welcome to do that, of course. Or you could shave with an axe if you prefer.:LOL: But the Personna GEM blades are the real thing. Nobody ever describes their DE blades as paint scrapers...

I think its because I bought my Gem Blades on ebay from a tool store.

It didn't help that they gave me a couple of paint scrapers free, to use with the blades 😁

The GEM blades come in 2 and 3 facet edge
  • 2 facet blades paint/windshield scraping
  • 3 facet ones for shaving also used for lab work, med prep, and dissection
Below image compliments of: https://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/blades.aspx
WNsxvxc.png

I understand Stainless steel single edge, 3 facet, PTFE-coated stainless steel GEM® are the preferred SE blade for wet shaving

Asylum Rx - V2 (Second Generation) (USA)

Asylum’s original Rx would punish anyone foolish enough not to be spot on with their technique and did not have their blade selection right, it was not a razor for the faint hearted. It’s claimed that the V2 razor is still very efficient but a bit more refined and a bit tamer, here’s hoping it is a lot tamer. I rate Asylum’s Rx as the best looking razor ever produced; it has an artistic flowing design, with a well proportioned and very slim profile head. Those who rave about the low profile head on their Vector should remember that the Rx has a similar size head but predates the Vector by a couple of years. Forget the ‘normal’ three piece razor design, this Rx V2, like the original, is totally different. It has a two part head; the plate section slides on a tongue and grooved joint into with what is effectively the cap; the handle then secures everything in place. It’s fitted with a short handle that is very much based on the Tradere design with its tell-tale flare, but the effective length of the handle is increased by the tapered neck incorporated into the head. Asylum’s Rx V2 is presented with a polished finished but unlike its predecessor, the Rx V2 is not machined, it has been produced by the process of metal injection. Looking at the polished finish, it is hard to identify the manufacturing process used but the unpolished underside of the cap gives the game away. Another positive outcome in the change of production process is a small reduction in purchase price.

Asylum’s Rx V2 came packaged in a lightweight wooden box but one thing had me concerned; the razor came wrapped in a large, sling size piece of bandage type material; are Asylum advising that the efficiency has not been reduced as much as I was hoping? There is no resemblance in behaviour between the original released Rx and the V2. If the original Rx shaved as comfortable as the V2 there would be no requirement for a V2; Asylum’s Rx V2 is refined, civilized, well behaved and doesn’t take advantage of any little flaw in technique. Efficiency wise, the V2 sits marginally below the Karve CB level #D but with a very civilized amount of positive blade. Twelve hours after the shave and the stubble had not become noticeable and all achieved with a super smooth action. This artistically presented razor with its uncluttered flowing design now delivers a comfortable shave without any of the bad habits of its predecessor; superb.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather ProGuard
Material – 316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 106g
Head Width – 54.26mm
Effective Handle Length – 82.32mm
Handle Diameter – 10.84mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – Will win a lot of friends

Asylum Rx - V2 (Second Generation) (USA)

Asylum’s original Rx would punish anyone foolish enough not to be spot on with their technique and did not have their blade selection right, it was not a razor for the faint hearted. It’s claimed that the V2 razor is still very efficient but a bit more refined and a bit tamer, here’s hoping it is a lot tamer. I rate Asylum’s Rx as the best looking razor ever produced; it has an artistic flowing design, with a well proportioned and very slim profile head. Those who rave about the low profile head on their Vector should remember that the Rx has a similar size head but predates the Vector by a couple of years. Forget the ‘normal’ three piece razor design, this Rx V2, like the original, is totally different. It has a two part head; the plate section slides on a tongue and grooved joint into with what is effectively the cap; the handle then secures everything in place. It’s fitted with a short handle that is very much based on the Tradere design with its tell-tale flare, but the effective length of the handle is increased by the tapered neck incorporated into the head. Asylum’s Rx V2 is presented with a polished finished but unlike its predecessor, the Rx V2 is not machined, it has been produced by the process of metal injection. Looking at the polished finish, it is hard to identify the manufacturing process used but the unpolished underside of the cap gives the game away. Another positive outcome in the change of production process is a small reduction in purchase price.

Asylum’s Rx V2 came packaged in a lightweight wooden box but one thing had me concerned; the razor came wrapped in a large, sling size piece of bandage type material; are Asylum advising that the efficiency has not been reduced as much as I was hoping? There is no resemblance in behaviour between the original released Rx and the V2. If the original Rx shaved as comfortable as the V2 there would be no requirement for a V2; Asylum’s Rx V2 is refined, civilized, well behaved and doesn’t take advantage of any little flaw in technique. Efficiency wise, the V2 sits marginally below the Karve CB level #D but with a very civilized amount of positive blade. Twelve hours after the shave and the stubble had not become noticeable and all achieved with a super smooth action. This artistically presented razor with its uncluttered flowing design now delivers a comfortable shave without any of the bad habits of its predecessor; superb.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather ProGuard
Material – 316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 106g
Head Width – 54.26mm
Effective Handle Length – 82.32mm
Handle Diameter – 10.84mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – Will win a lot of friends
Another great review and really like the head profile as looks like it would be a joy to use. Also a decent price so great find @Errol (y)

Blackland Blackbird – Polished (USA)

I have previously used a Blackbird but it was the machine finished version so using the Blackbird is not completely new ground. All I’ve done for this week is swap the plate to the SB; other than the plate swap everything remains the same. What more could one ask for? Blackland have countersunk the blade hole in the back of the plate thus requiring a corresponding shoulder on the handle. Probably the only disadvantage of this system is it reduces the number of handle options available. After market handles with shoulders to fit the Blackbird system are available but are not common. Blackbird’s own handle provides very good grip and being the shorter option handle is perfectly fine by me.

While I’d previously enjoyed the performance of the Blackbird, I was still not prepared for the exceptional shave delivered this time around. If I’ve ever had a smoother shave I cannot remember when, it was effortless. Performance wise, the Blackbird is not a super aggressive razor but sits comfortably in that Karve CB #D range. You can be sure there is positive blade feel but it is a well balanced amount and when combined with the efficiency provided made the Blackbird perfect for me. When everything gels with a razor and shave, closeness come naturally, there is no need to let you know that the shaves were close. But what I will tell you is that this is a magnificent razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Super-Max Platinum
Material –
Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Slightly exposed
Weight – 93g
Head Width – 41.96mm
Handle Length – 82.05mm
Handle Diameter – 10.86mm
Availability – Blackland
Final Word – Soooo smooothh

Hello @Errol your wonderful reviews have sort of put me in a bit of a pickle :p

I thought I had my RAD under control with a future bronze WR1 purchase in the not to distant future... BUT.... this review sort of got me by the brass monkeys and now I need to ask the eternal question...

Wolfman vs Blackbird :love:

With your vast experience, which would you go for? a WR1 1.67 OC or Blackbird SS SB?

Also between blackbirds models, my research has lead me to believe that the general consensus is the Ti version is smoother than the SS, but your review above clearly states that you believe the SS is actually smoother than the Ti. You have also stated your self confessed love for Ti razors but still would go for the SS over the Ti.

Now that a few months have passed, do you still feel the SS is smoother? and would you still go for it over the Ti? I personally enjoy heftier razors but due to this razors apparent blade feel (which I don't mind) I would like to ensure I end up with the smoother of the two.. what do you think mate?