Weekly Razor Review

You mean here - https://www.standoshop.pl/ - the website with the Spitfire Splash for sale on the front page ;)
This might be a recent addition as at the time of my purchase late 2021 the site wasn't stocking P&B gear but then again I was only focused on a razor and handle so great to see them expanding their offerings. (y)

This might be a recent addition as at the time of my purchase late 2021 the site wasn't stocking P&B gear but then again I was only focused on a razor and handle so great to see them expanding their offerings. (y)

:) - just teasing mate !

Where do you come up with this stuff? Completely untrue.
Exactly as I have the invoice showing that I only paid for razor + handle and express postage with no added GST as opposed to using the Etsy page where they add the extra 10% at checkout!?

Overall cheaper buying through the website and I've had similar experience buying directly from Alpha Shaving after being stung extra 10% GST using the equivalent Etsy page.

Asylum Rx Injector (USA)

In a twist to the Asylum Rx theme, Bullgoose recently released a smaller headed version that is designed to accept an injector blade - the Asylum Rx Injector. Bullgoose claim that the concept for the Rx Injector was first envisioned back in 2012 but because of machining difficulty associated with the small radiuses and the consequential increases in production costs, it was never put into production. A change in production processes to metal injection has now made the Rx Injector a reality. Just like big brother, the head is the typical Rx tongue and groove style but is made narrower to accept an injector blade. If anything, the narrower injector blade head makes the Rx Injector look better proportioned when compared to the full sized AC bladed Rx. Design, handle length, style and finish on the Rx injector are very similar to the Rx (V2); I liked the V2 so here’s hoping I can achieve similar results in a smaller package.

Shaving with the Rx Injector was not what I was expecting. Instead of delivering a razor approximating that of the Asylum V2, Asylum has gone a bit feral, somewhat reverting to their old ways and produced a razor that is on the high side of the Rx V2 but nothing as fearsome as the original Rx. Gone are some of the pleasant manners of the V2, and while nowhere near as authoritative as the original Rx, it still commands respect. While delivering a close shave, it felt a little on the rough side, my skin felt like it had been attacked with sandpaper afterwards but that was influenced by the type of blade and the number of shaves delivered. Efficiency wise, the razor delivered a shave slightly more efficient than a Karve CB Level #D but with a fair amount of positive blade. When I recovered from the shock of the added aggression compared to the V2, the shaves became more comfortable, and I came away appreciating the changes. There will be those who thrive on the more aggressive aspects of the Rx Injector; for me, the V2 displays the better manners and is my choice.

Blades Used – Schick Proline B-20 and
Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 100g
Head Width – 42.59mm
Effective Handle Length – 82.08mm
Handle Diameter – 10.89mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – Angry little critter

I recently acquired the Asylum Injector as well and I completely agree with Errol's assessment. I love the look of this razor and will keep it purely on that trait, but I don't expect it will ever deliver what I would call a comfortable shave. Efficient but a bit harsh.

Stando Rod Ti (Poland)

I didn’t rush into the purchase of the stainless steel Stando Rod but when I saw one advertised in titanium, that soon changed. As more Stando razors become available one thing is becoming very apparent, they all share a distinct family resemblance, quality machining and probably the biggest factor is the quality of their bead blasted finish. There is nothing wrong with a family resemblance so long as the razor delivers and to date, I’ve been suitably impressed with each and every Stando I’ve used. Strangely, the part that first grabbed my attention was the handle; it is a simple design with just a couple of grooves at the front and rear and a spiral wrap but it certainly stands out and there is no doubt that it will be effective. Both the plate and cap have a minimalist appeal, simple, little excess material and every piece so perfectly mated. Without a blade fitted, the joint between the cap and plate is barely visible. Stando have machined a recess into the back of the plate, initially I thought it for a nylon washer, but it did not take long to establish that it was for the end of the handle to butt into.

While advertised as a mild razor, I’m in a generous mood and nominate the razor as a mid efficient shaver. Efficiency is between Karve CB level #C and level #D with a little more than a hint of positive blade protrusion, the shave was remarkably smooth and exceptionally close. Stando’s Rod Ti has the class to stand proudly alongside the best razors I have used; it was a delight to feel just how smooth the face felt immediately after the shave was completed. This razor makes shaving feel so safe so you would have to do something positively stupid to get a cut, it even accepted the Feather Professional Super blade in its stride. There is a one word description for the Stando Rod Ti - excellent.

Blades Used – Kai Captain Titan Mild and Feather Professional Super
Material – Gr2 Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 68g
Head Width – 50.10mm
Handle Length – 94.43mm
Handle Diameter – 12.09mm
Availability – Stando
Final Word – So comfortable
How does this compare to the Vector?

Rocnel SE-50 2022 (Turkey)

When I was handed the package my immediate thought was, I wonder what goodies have been included here. As it turned out, none, the weight of the package was all in the SE-50. Four years have passed since the Gen 2 SE-50 was released and the 2022 version is said to be all revised. Weight reduction was not a factor in the revision, the 2022 SE-50 is heavier than the Gen 2; gone is the polished finish to be replaced with a satin finish; there is no knurling on the handle, instead replaced with light diamond scroll; the handle is shorter but thicker; Rocnel even drilled a fair chunk of a hole in the end of the handle so one can only imagine how much the razor would have weighed without this exercise; the amount of engraving has been reduced to having only the makers name on the sliding cap; no serial number or model name. Come on Rocnel, nearly every model of yours requires to be put on a severe diet and at least 1/3 of their current weight removed. Because of the amount of material present, I cannot see losing 50g from the weight of the SE-50 2022 posing any challenge. Like previous versions of the SE-50 the tongue on cap slides into a groove in the plate and all is secured by a small grub screw; finger pressure on the grub screw is all that is required.

I had a chuckle to myself when Bullgoose released a video on how to fit a blade into the SE-50. I’ve used both earlier versions, so I don’t need any help loading a blade. Well, I didn’t require the video but what a prick of a thing to load a blade into; the blade posts are about the height of the thickness of an AC blade and their corners are not sharp; they just don’t retain the blade while the cap is slid into position. Even removing a blade was a pain because the blade would not stay over the blade posts and would jam the slide. I had no such difficulties with either of the two earlier versions of the SE-50.

At 150g, this is a heavy razor and that is amplified by the fact that lately I’ve been using razors weighing around the 100g mark. I fully appreciate that each pass on a CNC machine is going to add to the expense of machining a razor but something drastic has to be done with the weight of this SE-50; as it is now, it is nothing more than a great big, fat, overweight lump masquerading as a razor. Here’s the dilemma; the delivered shave felt very smooth and there was a small amount of positive blade protrusion, throw in an efficiency level around the Karve CB level #D and you have the recipe for a comfortable shave, at least that part of the Rocnel recipe worked. While the SE-50 shaved well, I believe the average customer would be well advised to shop elsewhere.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather Professional

Material – 316L Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 150g

Head Width – 50.07mm

Handle Length – 87.4mm

Handle Diameter – 14.7mm

Availability – Rocnel

Final Word – There’s better

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers @Errol my wallet, conscience and SWMBO love it when you do not endorse the latest sexiest razor that I must have.
I wonder if there is a reason that grub screw is not set into the handle?
The grub screw passes through the plate to fasten the cap in position. It only needs to be finger tight and the handle screws on. It would be difficult to machine the thread to the correct length without it being too short to clamp or too long with only the thread taking the load. As the system is, it works well. Just remember you can’t just unscrew the handle to loosen everything to flush out at the end of the shave.

Rocnel DE-42 (Turkey)

One limited release about five years ago and that was it, no more DE-42’s. Rocnel’s DE-42 employees the same principals of blade loading and retention as their SE-50, but this time using a standard double edge blade, hence the DE-42 naming. Its head consists of a plate with a groove along its full length and a cap with a corresponding tongue. There are two purposes for the tongue, to both secure the cap in place and to position the blade. When I first went to fit the blade, the tongue was too wide for the cut out in the blade but when I thought about it, the tongue is wider at the top and the blade just had to be squeezed over the top of the tongue, there was no alignment issues and the blade sat square. In a unique arrangement, the length of the cap has been determined by the length of the cut out in the blade, Rocnel simply cut the cap off at that length. What this arrangement does is leave the top of the blade visible on the plate at both ends. There is no lather channels, but a groove is machined under the blade to clear lather. Securing the cap to the plate is a 5mm grub screw that when tightened holds both parts of the head together and a simple handle devoid of any knurling completes the package.

A Wizamet was already loaded already loaded when I remembered that Rocnel razors built in this era were designed around Feather blades - second blade. A change to the Feather blade delivered a noticeable change in the performance of the DE-42, so beautifully smooth and close, a pleasant amount of positive blade but efficiency remained around the Karve CB Level #C mark. Not so noticeable with the Feather but with the Wizamet blade fitted the razor would simply ride over the built up lather, the groove under the blade did not work at all and remained free of lather. In my time testing the DE-42, I used an old blade I keep on the desk for such times, it Is blunt but more importantly any wax that may have been there was long gone. Sliding the cap into position was a breeze and I never imagined that putting a new blade in would be any different. Both the chosen blades had those horrid wax drops, loading the blade for the first time was not too bad but in sliding the cap to change the blade, the cap stuck; there’s a two-shave old blade and I’m pushing hard on the end of cap to slide it; not the smartest thing I’ve ever done, it’s a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one. Maybe that’s the reason for only one release of the DE-42. Rocnel’s DE-42 provided a pleasant enough shave and I’m pleased I had the opportunity to use it but will ensure that blades are free from wax before I use them next time in the DE-42.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Feather

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 132g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 85.26mm

Handle Diameter – 13.06mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Something a little different

Rocnel DE-42 (Turkey)

One limited release about five years ago and that was it, no more DE-42’s. Rocnel’s DE-42 employees the same principals of blade loading and retention as their SE-50, but this time using a standard double edge blade, hence the DE-42 naming. Its head consists of a plate with a groove along its full length and a cap with a corresponding tongue. There are two purposes for the tongue, to both secure the cap in place and to position the blade. When I first went to fit the blade, the tongue was too wide for the cut out in the blade but when I thought about it, the tongue is wider at the top and the blade just had to be squeezed over the top of the tongue, there was no alignment issues and the blade sat square. In a unique arrangement, the length of the cap has been determined by the length of the cut out in the blade, Rocnel simply cut the cap off at that length. What this arrangement does is leave the top of the blade visible on the plate at both ends. There is no lather channels, but a groove is machined under the blade to clear lather. Securing the cap to the plate is a 5mm grub screw that when tightened holds both parts of the head together and a simple handle devoid of any knurling completes the package.

A Wizamet was already loaded already loaded when I remembered that Rocnel razors built in this era were designed around Feather blades - second blade. A change to the Feather blade delivered a noticeable change in the performance of the DE-42, so beautifully smooth and close, a pleasant amount of positive blade but efficiency remained around the Karve CB Level #C mark. Not so noticeable with the Feather but with the Wizamet blade fitted the razor would simply ride over the built up lather, the groove under the blade did not work at all and remained free of lather. In my time testing the DE-42, I used an old blade I keep on the desk for such times, it Is blunt but more importantly any wax that may have been there was long gone. Sliding the cap into position was a breeze and I never imagined that putting a new blade in would be any different. Both the chosen blades had those horrid wax drops, loading the blade for the first time was not too bad but in sliding the cap to change the blade, the cap stuck; there’s a two-shave old blade and I’m pushing hard on the end of cap to slide it; not the smartest thing I’ve ever done, it’s a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one. Maybe that’s the reason for only one release of the DE-42. Rocnel’s DE-42 provided a pleasant enough shave and I’m pleased I had the opportunity to use it but will ensure that blades are free from wax before I use them next time in the DE-42.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Feather

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 132g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 85.26mm

Handle Diameter – 13.06mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Something a little different
Another great review of a very interesting razor @Errol. If nothing else, it's a collector's item. And a good looking one too, based on your photo.

Le Maurice (France)

For the release of their first Le Maurice, there were many options available; three different metals, five different handle styles, two lengths, full of hollowed out handles, four different styles of plates and three different efficiency levels. That’s a big inventory for a company starting out, all are designed and machined by one artisan so I hope supply can be maintained when the venture takes off. In an email from Augustin, I was advised that he would be starting my razor next week, the penny dropped - the razors are made to order. I choose the handle with the diamond pattern in the short option, hollowed, the middle of the road 1.0mm SB plate and all in 316L stainless steel with a smooth satin finish. Delivery of the razor to Australia was set up when I pushed the ‘Buy Now’ button making the purchase so much less stressful.

Positioned on the top of the plate are the round blade posts, five lather grooves are machined down each side and blade clamping is accomplished on two large flats immediately inside the lather grooves. Machined to be very light, the cap has blind holes for the blade post and big blade clamping flats. When the Le Maurice is advertised with a hollow handle, they are 100% correct, the hole measures a massive 9.5mm x 58.6mm deep; nothing has been done to disguise the hole, it is in the end of the handle for all to see. A chamfer has been machined onto the end of the handle post, and it works well in lining up the handle for assembly.

No beating about the bush, it’s straight to the top shelf of razors, the le Maurice was so confidence inspiring and smooth. With its close shaving action, whiskers were wiped away as simply as you like leaving the face so smooth and a resultant pleasant to feel. Efficiency was about Karve CB level #C, maybe a tad higher and with a minute amount of blade feel. Le Maurice is one of those razors that just performs so effortlessly that you wonder why there is any need to explore the field further. Of course I will, and as good as the Le Maurice is with the 1.0mm plate, I think the 1.2mm plate would be better. Look out Augustin, there will be an order for a titanium Le Maurice with a 1.2mm plate coming. A very well-made and great shaving razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Tatra

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 87g

Head Width – 43.01

Handle Length – 83.04mm

Handle Diameter – 13.99mm

Availability – Atelier Durdan

Final Word – No hassle shave

Le Maurice (France)

For the release of their first Le Maurice, there were many options available; three different metals, five different handle styles, two lengths, full of hollowed out handles, four different styles of plates and three different efficiency levels. That’s a big inventory for a company starting out, all are designed and machined by one artisan so I hope supply can be maintained when the venture takes off. In an email from Augustin, I was advised that he would be starting my razor next week, the penny dropped - the razors are made to order. I choose the handle with the diamond pattern in the short option, hollowed, the middle of the road 1.0mm SB plate and all in 316L stainless steel with a smooth satin finish. Delivery of the razor to Australia was set up when I pushed the ‘Buy Now’ button making the purchase so much less stressful.

Positioned on the top of the plate are the round blade posts, five lather grooves are machined down each side and blade clamping is accomplished on two large flats immediately inside the lather grooves. Machined to be very light, the cap has blind holes for the blade post and big blade clamping flats. When the Le Maurice is advertised with a hollow handle, they are 100% correct, the hole measures a massive 9.5mm x 58.6mm deep; nothing has been done to disguise the hole, it is in the end of the handle for all to see. A chamfer has been machined onto the end of the handle post, and it works well in lining up the handle for assembly.

No beating about the bush, it’s straight to the top shelf of razors, the le Maurice was so confidence inspiring and smooth. With its close shaving action, whiskers were wiped away as simply as you like leaving the face so smooth and a resultant pleasant to feel. Efficiency was about Karve CB level #C, maybe a tad higher and with a minute amount of blade feel. Le Maurice is one of those razors that just performs so effortlessly that you wonder why there is any need to explore the field further. Of course I will, and as good as the Le Maurice is with the 1.0mm plate, I think the 1.2mm plate would be better. Look out Augustin, there will be an order for a titanium Le Maurice with a 1.2mm plate coming. A very well-made and great shaving razor.

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 87g

Head Width – 43.01

Handle Length – 83.04mm

Super review @Errol! I have been following a pass-around of the Le Maurice on another forum and it seems that Augustin is continuing to make changes (improvements) to the razor on a regular basis. To the point that I'm wondering if every new order will generate a one-of-a-kind collector's item,

Le Maurice (France)

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 87g

Head Width – 43.01

Handle Length – 83.04mm

This head design looks very similar to Charcoal Good razor, if, I'm not mistaken.