What is the most important part of a shave?

The most important ingredient for a GREAT shave is the

• environment and 'atmosphere'

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • pre-shave preperation

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • choice of brush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • soap/cream (the lather)

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • razor/blade (or combination thereof)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • technique, how you shave

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • post shave products (after shave splash, balm etc)

• cologne at the end

• chiselled, yet boyish, good looks - like hunnymonster

• Total voters

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
A simple question really for the great minds of Paste & Cut.

Thinking back on the transition from your previous methodology to shaving now, what is the most important factor in getting a GREAT shave? What was the key to you in shifting and keeping going with the new approach?

Another way of thinking about this - what it the one thing in your current routine that you would NOT give up?

Vote in the poll and post your thought below :)

Lather and technique are neck and neck ...

Reactions: MrT
Considering I had a beard, actually committing to shaving!

Absolutely - yet this is the by far least discussed topic when people give tips to newbies :cry:

Probably one of the hardest to describe until the person you are talking to knows that they are doing too! Are videos the best answer?

Any one of those things can ruin a shave, but I answered with the thought "If I had to forgo every one of these, bar one, which would I keep". To that, question is simple: great razor/blade combo. Doesn't matter how much prep, how good your soap is, etc, without a good blade/razor combo it's going to be rubbish. Think of the worst blade you can, the one that tears your face apart. Now, will perfect prep, technique and soap make that blade shave well?

The technique or the skill of shaving, to me, is most important. If your technique is sound I think you could get a decent shave with just about anything. I am not there by any means but half the fun is learning a skill and trying to reach perfection and knowing you may never get there.

Why, it's my chiselled, yet boyish, good looks of course. Just like you can't polish a turd and you can't have a stunning shave without stunning good looks...

'chiselled, yet boyish, good looks' - now THERE is a custom title awaiting @Monsta_AU's magic :)

Polled changed to include this option.

Any one of those things can ruin a shave, but I answered with the thought "If I had to forgo every one of these, bar one, which would I keep". To that, question is simple: great razor/blade combo. Doesn't matter how much prep, how good your soap is, etc, without a good blade/razor combo it's going to be rubbish. Think of the worst blade you can, the one that tears your face apart. Now, will perfect prep, technique and soap make that blade shave well?

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes but I find that the razor/blade combination is the part I can most put up with being poor and get a decent shave. Good lather and technique will compensate for a lousy razor/blade combination (think Bic disposable or Dorco 7 blade) and give you a decent shave.

To get a great shave I agree that a good razor/blade combination is essential and that it can compensate for lesser prep or soap - or is that really the technique that is shining through as I think @Osman is suggesting?

Probably one of the hardest to describe until the person you are talking to knows that they are doing too! Are videos the best answer?

Videos are great showing what to do - but you also have to somehow describe the end result/what to aim for. For that art HQ pictures and words are still the best IMO...

Both the lather and technique are important, but If I had to chose one over the other, then it would have to be a good lather. For a newbie, it can take some time until you develop your technique, therefore if you can create a good lather, then you're already half-way there. A good lather will go a long-way to proving a greater amount of protection and comfort - As a result, you'll be giving yourself every opportunity to experience a good (or great) shave and, at the bare minimum - a shave with the least amount of irritation and nicks as you continue to develop your technique. A bad lather will make it much more difficult to develop a good technique. For a newbie, a bad lather can also lead to discouragement & eventually throwing in the towel. Therefore, my vote would have to go to "the lather".

Last edited:
Fascinating poll results - pretty clear three way split

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes but I find that the razor/blade combination is the part I can most put up with being poor and get a decent shave. Good lather and technique will compensate for a lousy razor/blade combination (think Bic disposable or Dorco 7 blade) and give you a decent shave.

To get a great shave I agree that a good razor/blade combination is essential and that it can compensate for lesser prep or soap - or is that really the technique that is shining through as I think @Osman is suggesting?

No, good point. I'm talking from a whopping three weeks experience here don't forget. My technique is still in its infancy so I can't make a bad blade work well. That makes good sense.

I've watched a 100 lathering videos. What is lacking from them all is a close up, high resolution detail of the lather. They all just show white stuff although Mark Freedberg does go into describing how a good lather peaks when pulled.

Secondly they lack detailed description. I recognise this is probably very hard to do with words that mean the same to everybody. Many show great technique, tips and basic descriptions but that is it. I'm still not sure I've hit the mark.

What we need is a lather workshop. Bring your soap and your brush to the church hall for a demo and a lesson.

I voted for lather as this makes a significant difference to my shaves, however I think it's very difficult to know how much technique plays a part. My shaves have hugely improved of late and yet I've done nothing new except keep my routine consistent. My technique has improved dramatically and yet I couldn't tell you exactly how. Less pressure? Smoother strokes? Maybe. The minute adjustments we instinctively make as we gain experience are imperceptible but crucial.

As a beginner it's so easy to look at the things we can change quickly, such as equipment or basic lather technique. It's hard to appreciate that it's time in front of the mirror (TIFOTM™) that really makes the difference.

I've watched a 100 lathering videos. What is lacking from them all is a close up, high resolution detail of the lather. They all just show white stuff although Mark Freedberg does go into describing how a good lather peaks when pulled.

Secondly they lack detailed description. I recognise this is probably very hard to do with words that mean the same to everybody. Many show great technique, tips and basic descriptions but that is it. I'm still not sure I've hit the mark.

What we need is a lather workshop. Bring your soap and your brush to the church hall for a demo and a lesson.
This. It took me a long time to realise that lather needed a sheen to it. My personal breakthrough came when it occurred to me that I was allowed to tough the lather whilst on the brush and feel the glide.